budget VFR750RR build - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

budget VFR750RR build

WOW, I just stumbled upon this sub-sub-sub forum, and thought it would be great to share progress of my 1995 VFR750 that i've been putting together.

To start, my main interest in doing this was to turn the portly and undersuspended but incredibly good sounding VFR into a sharper-handling more weight-competitive street and occasional track day bike, and since I can't afford to just buy an RSV4...

So, on to the details of this bike: engine-drivetrain wise for now I'm leaving the it mostly stock save for 520 gearing/chain, custom exhaust and K-N filter, jet-kit/dyno tuning.

As far as the chassis, amazingly most all of this stuff was bolt on, the only modifications were to the left (non-drive) side of the frame at the swingarm pivot, i removed about an inch where the threaded bearing adjuster goes to make it the same width as the opening on a 900rr frame (lots of 900rrs with VFR swingarms do just the opposite using the VFR bearing adjuster or a spacer to suit), the main reason for the swingarm swap was the appx 12lb difference according to the bathroom scale of both complete assemblies (swingarm/caliper/wheel)

and a few new upper clevis for the shock (very common mod for both VFR's and 900rr's) I made a couple upper clevis mounts in different lengths to be able to dial in the rear ride height and steer tube angle)

up front it is suspended with complete 954 front end with RC51 front wheel (another appx 4 lbs difference between stock vfr and RC front wheels), out back it has a complete 96 900RR swingarm/linkages/wheel with 954 shock.

For bodywork it's using 08-11 CBR1000RR cheap track plastics and front/rear subframes, both of which require minimal modification to fit, as well as substantial weight loss.

the big things i've still got left to do are to finish attaching the fairings and rear subframe, and route the rear headers thru the swingarm, get a new pair of tires and tidy up/hide all the wiring.

anyways, here's a pic of how it sits currently:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:09 PM

Coming together nicely.....

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

thanks!

just wanted to add, and this may put it out of my budget but I would like to make a say 4 gallon aluminum fuel cell and put it under the cbr tank cover that goes with this bodywork set, also losing a bit more weight.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 AM

Ya looks good...I love these kind of builds. Take a good bike add some functional parts and weight loss. Drop some style and voilà custom bike.

My favourite kind of builds are the ones where the person does most of the work themselves and on the cheap.

Anyone can throw lots of money at anything and come out with something special, harder to do on the cheap and get the same results.

Keep us posted!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Gold Sponsor

looking good

www.carbonpartz.net
www.blackdragonexhaust.net

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 AM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
sure does look like a good project you have going on there. I thought this sub forum was completely dead, but there seems to be some life here yet. Maybe I'll put up a thread of what I have going on with mine too. good luck with the build and keep it updated so we can check back. any Idea what you have it down to weight wise?

06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/pro...ish-thing.html
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

No idea on the weight just yet...if i had to guess, i would say it's around a hundred pounds lighter, about the only thing from the VFR as it was shipped is the engine assembly (motor/harness/carbs/airbox) and the frame.

so, i also have had a little free time to start tacking the headers together. i used part of a V&H SV650 full system, and a set of late model GSXR headers. I also began mocking up the brackets for the rear subframe. still need to connect and tack the rear headers.....

of course i'll be making a nicer exhaust hanger than the one i made to mock it all up, and i'll be shortening the muffler by 6in, then take it all back apart and tig it together on my workbench once i haul it from my parents old homeplace a few states away....anyways, this post would be worthless without pics!

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:36 AM

Keep them coming...looks like I have to start my RZ 500 build.

Just got a TZR 250 front end now just need to find me a TZR banana swing arm!!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 AM
chimp on my shoulder

it's amazing how much weight you can strip off of them. last time I weighed mine I had it down to 385lbs. I think it's a tad heavier now, but still feels like it's half the weight of stock.

in case you are interested I played around with so many different exhaust configurations it was ridiculous. what I found was that the stock header although ugly as hell worked really well. especially if you cut off the stamped merges and use the same size mandrel bends to mimic the collectors exactly, but instead of the stock size dump at 2" drop it down to 1 7/8" id for 10" and swage it back up to 2" for another 24" to the tip. this set up yielded the flattest torque curve I could get out of it. had to use a really small can and mount it up kinda high, but it sure was sweet. I'll hafta look on my old computer to see if I still have the dyno sheet.

second best believe it or not was stock header with the D&D slip on.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
No idea on the weight just yet...if i had to guess, i would say it's around a hundred pounds lighter, about the only thing from the VFR as it was shipped is the engine assembly (motor/harness/carbs/airbox) and the frame.

so, i also have had a little free time to start tacking the headers together. i used part of a V&H SV650 full system, and a set of late model GSXR headers. I also began mocking up the brackets for the rear subframe. still need to connect and tack the rear headers.....

of course i'll be making a nicer exhaust hanger than the one i made to mock it all up, and i'll be shortening the muffler by 6in, then take it all back apart and tig it together on my workbench once i haul it from my parents old homeplace a few states away....anyways, this post would be worthless without pics!

i have a spare carbon hanger for a side mount CBR i can donate or if you send me that one i will make you for your project, on me

looking good keep em comin

www.carbonpartz.net
www.blackdragonexhaust.net

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Keep them coming...looks like I have to start my RZ 500 build.

Just got a TZR 250 front end now just need to find me a TZR banana swing arm!!
good luck with all that! this thing is like child's play compared to a TZR, it's all super commonly available parts, and *mostly* bolt on

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyisthedevil View Post
it's amazing how much weight you can strip off of them. last time I weighed mine I had it down to 385lbs. I think it's a tad heavier now, but still feels like it's half the weight of stock.

in case you are interested I played around with so many different exhaust configurations it was ridiculous. what I found was that the stock header although ugly as hell worked really well. especially if you cut off the stamped merges and use the same size mandrel bends to mimic the collectors exactly, but instead of the stock size dump at 2" drop it down to 1 7/8" id for 10" and swage it back up to 2" for another 24" to the tip. this set up yielded the flattest torque curve I could get out of it. had to use a really small can and mount it up kinda high, but it sure was sweet. I'll hafta look on my old computer to see if I still have the dyno sheet.

second best believe it or not was stock header with the D&D slip on.
i'm pretty psyched to weigh it once it's rideable. as far as the headers i'm just connecting them up at the easiest junctions since there's so much else to do on the rest of the bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
i have a spare carbon hanger for a side mount CBR i can donate or if you send me that one i will make you for your project, on me

looking good keep em comin
i'd like to keep the can where it's positioned, so there's a pretty good chance the CBR one might not work....thanks for the offer to copy the dimensions of mine, PM me your mailing address and i'll send it on!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

finished tacking up the rear headers and shortened the can ~6in.....used the big camera instead of the crap cell phone too!

the headers probably aren't perfectly optimal, but they are uncomplicated and pretty close to even length, and are able to be removed without disassembling the whole bike!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

tooks some pics with the big camera in the light of day

also, here's a pic i snapped the day i brought it home:
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM

Nice...
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:05 AM
chimp on my shoulder

any recent updates?

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:43 AM

digging this forum

like what you're doing the the VFR750. Nice save on the exhaust. Never would have considered a modified SV. I've got a Wolff undertail fitted to mine. Dual carbon mufflers,sounds sweet. Swapping from the current 900RR front end to a GSXR750 soon. Mine feels much lighter than stock but no where near 100lbs lighter! Let us know what the wet weight is when completed. What have you got planned for instrumentation? pics of mine in early stages of completion. Using RC45 fiberglass bodywork.
Attached Images

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 AM
And Stateside again...

Always loved that RC45 tail section.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

no updates recently.

been down with a cold also back to being a full time stay at home dad, throw in some G-parent deaths and voila, no time to tinker!

should be back at it fairly soon tho.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM

i'll sell it for $1500 if anyone is interested.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 PM
And Stateside again...

Very interested.

why are you getting rid of it? and does it currently run and ride-able?

and if I can work it out will you do pay-pal for a deposit then cash when i can get down there to pick it up in person? How fast do you need it to go away? Basically can you not list it for sale till I get stateside and can liquidate a toy then drive down and pick it up?

I have been looking for one of these and would prefer to buy one from someone on here vs craigslist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode