94 VFR cafe'ish thing. - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
94 VFR cafe'ish thing.

I've had this VFR for quite a few years. love the bike, but after being hit by some fvcking stoner kid trying to toke and drive it was in need of some serious love. Plastics are ridiculously expensive and I've always had this yearning for cafe. and thought what the hell, I'll give it a shot and see if I can come up with something cool. I also had a 94 YZF750 track bike that I was having a hell of a time finding parts for. it sat in a state of near completion for about two years. but when it came down to it my heart just wasn't into it. I couldn't see myself getting out on the track and not riding my RC51. so it donated a lot of parts to my VFR and some to my little lady's GS500. Any way here is a starter shot. don't have much time right now to post the whole build up to this point, but here is a little teaser pic

not mine , but this is what I started with at well over 500 lbs
.Name:  94-vfr750.jpg
Views: 12408
Size:  34.3 KB
and this gives an idea of where it is headed. last time I weighed, it was 385 lbs
Name:  photo (37)small.jpg
Views: 9115
Size:  123.6 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by johnyisthedevil; 02-24-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
I'll fix it.

I like it, Im especially digging the headlight.

you might like this, a streetfighter a buddy of mine built from a 95 VFR:

more pics here: Index of /pics/misc/bikes/jance
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

that's pretty cool. not my style, but very clean build. I bet it sounds crazy.

94 vfr 750 cafe project

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 AM

vfr

That thing looks awesome! Great work.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

ok back to the project.
here are some shots of the front end. the head light, which everybody seems to love is an 8 inch off road HID light. it's like daylight when I turn the thing on. I do need to fab up a bulb shield to get some cut off in the beam. I don't want to blind anybody.

The forks are off of my Yamaha track bike. 94 YZF750. it was a super easy swap believe it or not. the bearings and races were all exactly the same. the Yamaha stem was about a 1/4" inch shorter than the Honda's. a little mixing and matching of nuts and seals and she bolted right up.

Name:  photo (8) small.jpg
Views: 9099
Size:  249.8 KB

Name:  photo (2) small.jpg
Views: 12544
Size:  190.3 KB
there are still a few things to be tidied up in this picture, but don't mind all of that. we'll get there later.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

these are the rearsets I'm running. they are for a 900rr. I couldn't find any still in production for a VFR so a little research and measurements and I had some nice Attack rearsets. there are two different versions of these. 94 /95 and up till when ever the 929 came out. If memory serves me correctly these are the early ones. you can see on the brake side I had to emergency tig it back together after the above mentioned stoner attack. I'll get around to replacing it some time in the not so distant future. you can see on the shifter side that the heal guard fouled the swinger ever so slightly. so I had to space them out a touch and "persuade" the guard a smidge.

Name:  photo (5) small.jpg
Views: 8813
Size:  100.4 KB

Name:  photo (7) small.jpg
Views: 8676
Size:  106.3 KB
this picture I'm almost embarrassed to show. it's quite filthy, but what we have here is a cut down stock shifter turned straight up to use as a knuckle. the idea originally was to go gp shift, but that big ass kick stand bracket gets in the way of the shift rod. so standard shift it is. the shift rod was custom made for me for free by the guys at attack. I sent them measurements and all they wanted in return was info on the fitment. good guys over there.
Name:  photo (6) small.jpg
Views: 8663
Size:  92.8 KB

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

this was the first round of tail section mock up. I liked it over all, but it was just too long.

Name:  photo small.jpg
Views: 20613
Size:  180.5 KB

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

that's better! cut down a bit for better proportions. and reshaped the subframe too. that piece of pipe at the back is a bucket for the tail light. when the fiberglass piece is on you can see the round stock accent piece just underneath it. once everything is painted it will show up a touch better. but it wraps and scrolls from the main support up to the seat to the back around the tail light. should look pretty sweet.

Name:  photo (3) half.jpg
Views: 14505
Size:  104.3 KB

Name:  photo (13)small.jpg
Views: 8656
Size:  103.5 KB
in these two pics you can see the tank fillers that get glassed to the tailsection.
Name:  photo (16)small.jpg
Views: 8486
Size:  118.9 KB

Name:  photo (14)small.jpg
Views: 8415
Size:  109.2 KB

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

a little bit of glass and they all become one piece. I was using the blue painters tape as part of the buck for the shape. when it came time to pull the pieces apart to glass them back together ... well shit got stuck lol so it's staying in there. it will be our little secret. . . . shhhh! there are plans for this though that will come to light later in the build.

Name:  photo (26)small.jpg
Views: 8356
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  photo (28)small.jpg
Views: 8318
Size:  87.4 KB

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

here it is all glassed up and cut out. I even took a little liberty mith MS paint for an idea of what it might look like when done. I'll leave it here for the night and post up more when time permits.

Name:  photo (30).jpg
Views: 8293
Size:  121.8 KB

Name:  photo (35)small.jpg
Views: 16907
Size:  113.2 KB

Name:  photo (36) paint.jpg
Views: 15777
Size:  102.8 KB

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkti View Post
That thing looks awesome! Great work.
thanks I think it's coming along nicely.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Member (Large)

Looks like a fun project. What are you going to do for the exhaust?

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 AM
And Stateside again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezmo View Post
I like it, Im especially digging the headlight.

you might like this, a streetfighter a buddy of mine built from a 95 VFR:

more pics here: Index of /pics/misc/bikes/jance
I think this exhaust looks really clean and understated. Bet it is loud as hell as well.

Copy this if you can will look killer.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 AM
-_-

Johny,

wow, the bike looks fabulous so far. The subframe and tail unit are awesome!
Curious to see how you´re doing the exhaust.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:23 PM

Yea man that rearend looks sharp, nice work.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

Thanks guys, the exhaust is undecided as of yet. What ever it is will definitely designed for maximum power. Right now I'm leaning towards a setup like the left exit HRC rc30 type deal with the merges reworked for the vfr firing order. I do like the exhaust on that street fighter, but there is now way to take advantage of scavenging with a set up like that. There is no doubt that that bike runs like a raped ape up top(for a vfr), but I'm sure it suffers in the low to mid range a bit. We'll see what I come up with after doing the math and tubing calculations. Surprisingly enough the stock header is very efficient in design, the stamped merges just get in the way a bit. No matter what it will have one or more "Gp" style cans on it. They sound too damn good to not let it bark loudly.

94 vfr 750 cafe project

Last edited by johnyisthedevil; 02-24-2012 at 07:18 PM.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:49 PM

While changing to a slipon I started a 2000 VFR with no pipe at all...
It sounded mean, I've always liked the sound of a V4 bike motor. A Vmax with the correct pipe setup sounds very good also. Yamaha had a V4 2 stroke 800cc snowmobile back in the 80s...great piped sound. Sorry for the thread jack
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

no sweat on the jack. that was the whole point of this section. to get people talking about bikes again. I've had many different iterations of exhaust on this thing throughout the years. and even ran it with a tuned length straight pipe for a while. it sounded amazing till about 7k rpm and then it was just way too much. good. . . , but just louder than prudent. and I have ladybird cans on my 51!

on a side note, and back on the subject of exhaust again. I'm having trouble sourcing 1.5" mandrel bends. my local supplier only does 2" and up now for some reason. but I'm going to need a couple 1.5s a couple of 1.75s and a swage cone or two. if anybody knows of a good place to find the small stuff post up and let me know.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

did some wiring. most people just remove the snorkel from the airbox and tuck the front coils and the wires in there. I decided it would be cleaner and less of a pain in the ass to make my own harness instead.

this is where I put the coils
Name:  photo (10) small.jpg
Views: 8359
Size:  250.2 KB

tail light is a two inch LED marker light for a trailer. since it's a two wire light I had to make it function like a dual filament. I just used a resistor to pull the voltage down to a point where the light shined about half as bright as with full voltage. then I wired the brake light switch to send full voltage to the power wire between the light and resistor. the good thing is no matter where I go, if the light breaks or burns out, I can get replace it at any auto parts store. and it's bright as a mofo!
Name:  photo (19)small.jpg
Views: 8056
Size:  79.0 KB

stock mess.
Name:  photo (40).JPG
Views: 8285
Size:  136.1 KB
lots of tape came off of the harness. makes for some real sticky and messy wires. pain in the ass! so heres a little tip. use a rag and wd40 to clean the wires. strips all of the goo and grease off, and also makes the colors of old wires come back to life. I've also used pumice hand cleaner in the past to similar results, but I like the WD better. It's a little less messy.
Name:  photo (41).JPG
Views: 8038
Size:  134.4 KB
the front left coil leads were damn near 9ft. long! last time I checked the cdi box was less than 4ft from the coil.
Name:  photo (39).JPG
Views: 7963
Size:  98.6 KB

94 vfr 750 cafe project

Last edited by johnyisthedevil; 02-25-2012 at 08:15 PM.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

nothing exciting about wiring, but it's progress none the less. still in the process will update more on that soon. it'll basically be a race harness with head and tails, nothing more.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode