Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had an itch for a long time, and I'm starting to do some research. Wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these? How does it compare to the RC in power, rideability, ergos, reliability? any input is appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
947 Posts
tlr is the most unbalanced bike i've ridden, it feels like 75% of the weight is at seat level or above. when cornering it feels like you're just going to flop on the side if you don't keep it under alot of power.

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
I first owned a RC51 (for liter bikes) then sold it and went to a TLR (Long Story). The TLR's suspension is horrible stock. the rear shock has a rotary damper that cavitates due to heat from the rear head. This cause it to get very unsettled during hard street riding. I add a shim to the rear shock raising it up (similiar to what people do for the RC51) and this helped with the Turn in. The TLR does feel very heavy compared to the RC51, But to me the sitting postion of the TLR is less Racy than the RC51. It is a lot more laid back of a bike than the RC51 when it comes to trackability out of the box. Power wise it is pretty fast. 1/4 mile times for me were 10.90 best mostly low 11's so not blistering fast. Needless to say I am going back to an RC51 as I sold my TLR before I got deployed.

and I have never ridden a ZX12.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Don't know if it ever made to the US but leave the TL1000R alone (unless you want to keep it as a "modern classic", there aren't many left) and get an SV1000. Same engine, much more forgiving chassis, no suspension issues, more comfortable... a more than decent street bike if you can cope with Suzuki build quality! :p

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I've ridden a VTR a few times. It's a great bike. Very easy to handle and doesn't have any weight issues like the Suzuki. It does have the low end torque to pull you out of the corners, but not quite as much as an RC51. Like Wibbly said, no mention of a Blackbird? I remember Hondas first ad about the Blackbird calling it the "World's Fastest Sport Touring Bike" !!
Any year VFR is a good choice.

·
I miss Vegas... :(
343 Posts
I'm pretty sure the TL-R has more power than an SV and delivers it more agressively.............

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im not that interested in the BB it never really caught my eye. thanks for all the info about the TLR, guess that's why they are going so cheap.... not sure about the vfr's they seem kind of anemic....no?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
im not that interested in the BB it never really caught my eye. thanks for all the info about the TLR, guess that's why they are going so cheap.... not sure about the vfr's they seem kind of anemic....no?
If I had the $$$

turbo kit vfr - Google Videos#

:clapper :clapper :clapper :clapper :clapper

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Don't pay much for a TL-R . They do have dedicated fans b/c of the hell-strong and reliable motor but the weight and suspension issues make them quite unwieldy . Not many unmolested/uncrashed examples left but still not desirable except 'historically' as "the other Japanese V-Twin Superbike."

·
Registered
214 Posts
The TLR's I don't know much about except what I have heard, not much of it very good.

The VTR's seem like decent bikes but not very inspiring.

I've had a few VFR's, my first was a 86VFR750 and I still have a 93VFR750 in the garage. I wouldn't call it a track bike by any means but when you really wick it up the bike will surprise you. It is a very competent bike that I have had a lot of fun tearing up twisty roads on. It handles well in just about any weather, I wouldn't hesitate to throw bags on it and ride it across the country. It's a 16 year old bike with a lot of miles, so that says a lot for build quality.

My first time at deals gap I watched the guy in front of dump a RC51 trying to keep with a 96VFR but that was more rider skill than anything. The guy on the VFR was wearing his knees pucks off.

I love them both, for aggressive riding the RC is a hell of a lot more competent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok I thought i'd chime in since two of my bikes have been mentioned and kinda a third. Have the 90vfr, great overall bike nice v4 growl my guess is that it is 90% as capeable as the RC but I'm no pro rider. A much more relaxed ride and kinda trick in a way. I had a TLS which is the semi naked version of TLR (actually came out 1st) which has same motor but is much lighter. About 455 sopping wet stock I think. I had slip ons and douched the rotary dampner so mine was about 15lbs lighter. -1/+1 on the gearing made it way fun and it was cool having a few guys in the bike biz say "I road one of those in 97 and it was the greatest wheelie bike ever!". I think the RC would be a way better track bike though.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
If you wanted a comparison about power;
RC51 would have about 115-120 hp.
TLR about the same
VTR is 100-105.
ZX-12 is 160 or so, much more than anything else on the list.

Random thoughts:
TLR uses rotary damper instead of rear shock, which didn't work very well reportedly. I think Ohlins even tried their hand at making one for the bike and they couldn't even get it to work well. Compared to a "widowmaker" TLS the TLR makes a bit more power but weighs quite a bit more, the frame is much more rigid twin beam rather than aluminum lattice.

VTR uses the largest carbs ever fitted to a stock Honda motorcycle IIRC. Fuel injection was widely in use by '97, but Honda chose carbs for whatever reason. Miserable fuel mileage also, 30 mpg.

ZX-12 was rushed into production to compete with the Hayabusa, then neutered on the top end to limit top speed. 2002 saw a significant revamp that improved many complaints with the first two years models. Blue is a good color on these newer bikes, IMO.

·
I miss Vegas... :(
343 Posts
Have the 90vfr, great overall bike nice v4 growl my guess is that it is 90% as capeable as the RC but I'm no pro rider.

Seriously? 90%? You are kidding I hope.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't get me wrong, as I said the VFR is not a track bike (unfortunately I'm not yet a track rider) and the RC has more lean angle available for sure. But for fast street riding the VFR is nice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts