Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to by some nice Safety Wire Pliers.... They will get a lot of use so I might as well buy good ones.

What size or even brand do you like/recommend. I think the 6" might be nice & small for hard to reach places, but what about having enough leverage?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Your Favorite Safety Wire Pliers (hank)

I got a couple cheap pairs from Harbor Freight on Ebay. As long as they are spring loaded for the return I haven't really been able see any benefits between the cheap ones I own & the expensive ones costing 3 times as much I have used...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Your Favorite Safety Wire Pliers (LDH)

I have the uber pricey ones and I think they are well worth the money

If you have never used reversable pliers you do not know what you are missing. these things have special jaws that don't slip and spin in any direction at the flip of a switch

75 bucks and worth every penny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Your Favorite Safety Wire Pliers (sp2pilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sp2pilot »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the uber pricey ones and I think they are well worth the money

75 bucks and worth every penny
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweeeeet... who makes them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

MILBAR,got a 12" pair issued to me by my shop teacher in 1981 and still have them.They are in the $75 and up range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Your Favorite Safety Wire Pliers (BALLS)

The cheap ones are fine for occasional use,like doing your own bike once or twice.I use mine regularly at the shop on equipment and the occasional motorcycle.Must I add: on the cheap ones,when the knurls on the jaws get worn they will drive you crazy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I just use my fingers, and have for years now. You really don't need special pliers unless you care about making beautiful symmetrical wire weaves, and they don't save much time either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Your Favorite Safety Wire Pliers (TLHooligan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TLHooligan »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The cheap ones are fine for occasional use,like doing your own bike once or twice.I use mine regularly at the shop on equipment and the occasional motorcycle.Must I add: on the cheap ones,when the knurls on the jaws get worn they will drive you crazy.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

used the same cheap pair for 3 straight years, no problems.
I will add that most of my usual take-off items were quick connect fasteners which required no re-wiring afterward, food for thought in your quest for the extreme wiring project,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Your Favorite Safety Wire Pliers (BALLS)

cant go wrong with snap-on or milbar. for occational use just get some cheap ones, im an aircraft mech and use milbar all the time and have no problem recomending them

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Your Favorite Safety Wire Pliers (bionicman)

I got mine at Harbor Freight, they were $15.00, I used them a few times and then dropped them and the spring came out, I didn't notice it until I went to use them again and couldn't find the spring. Not really a big deal, you just have to slide the clamp forward rather than it springing forward on it's own. Easily worth $15.00, but if I were a racer or did more than a few track days, I'd spend more and get something nicer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Your Favorite Safety Wire Pliers (banda)

Milbar Reversable with Tiger Wave jaws and cushion grab cutter.

Makes every other set look like junk.

Just like any thing else if it cost more then you want to pay it is probably something you don't need.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Your Favorite Safety Wire Pliers (sp2pilot)

My favorite pliers are whichever my good good friend is using to wire my bike for me because I've left it to the last moment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just get pliers as small as you need .... nothing worse than working up twisting wire with big pliers that get in the way in tight areas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts