Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any experience with yoshimura cams for the vtr? How do they compare to moriwaki?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
I put the moriwaki cams on my bike, stage 1. the only other mods were slip-ons and jet kit. Using a dyno I noticed no significant change (nor by seat of the pants). I think in the absence of other mods, the cams alone aren't worth the money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (cliby)

Cams do make a difference. The difference depends in the effort you put into it. Take the time to degree in your cams; You could do some porting/gas flowing, valve jobs, exhaust sytems, proper back pressure wave, etc. This is where you see the results of cams when you package the performance mods together. Its unrealistic to expect alot to happen with just cams. I was just wondering if any one has used the yoshi cams or knew the specs. I am sad to hear you had bad results with the moriwaki. you should find a better dyno tuner, and check your bike for other issues. Because I have seen impressive gains from them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think its what I was saying in my post and you just said: coupled with other mods they might make more of a difference. I haven't degreed the cams - I am planning to get some slotted sprockets. While I've done a lot of work on bikes, degreeing cams isn't something I've done before. Do you know of a good resource to explain the procedure? I'd like to put some more effort into the engine as a project. I have recently converted to a RC51 front end and that really improved things.
thanks
bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (cliby)

I agree with hawkin, it is important to be sure the cam timing is correct. However, since you haven't changed deck height, which changes cam centerline, the cam timing should be very close.
Porting and a valve job would be helpful. the engine really comes to life with more compression.
Do you have baseline measurements for your engine on that dyno, with the same gearing? Dyno measurements should not be trusted for absolute power/torque measurements.
The Moriwaki stage 1 cams provide very similar torque/power output to the stock cams, with a little more everywhere, so it will feel similar. Even with a full Stage 1 engine development, it feels very similar. It just pulls 15-20% harder everywhere, frustrating poor Ducati riders

1 - 7 of 7 Posts