Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yosh carbons are going on Monday and I plan on using the mori map since both are so similar and also owned by the same family. Anyone had or using a quality map for these cans. I noticed the map is very similar to the sato low s/o. Furthermore what is the differance between the Euro maps and the US maps.:rolleyes:

Also I am gettin ready to install the m-20 laser jammer on this bike also but have yet to locate the ingition fuse. I would suspect its under the left fairing and its the 30. But am concerned this bike may not have a strong enough alternator for the radar detector, laser jammer, speedo healer, and Power commander. Any idea of the stock draw on the system?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Average map useful ?

Hi,

I am new to this forum which seems to be rather light-triggered what comes to flaming :)

Anyway, I would also be very interested to learn if US model maps are applicable to European models and vice versa ?

The US models have the soft rpm limiter but are there any other significant differences ? When looking into various maps it seems that the difference between individual European maps can be much larger that in general the difference between the US and European maps.

In order to get a better insight into RC51/SP1 maps I actually calculated an average of 28 individual maps. The resulting average map and some more story of my bike can be found here : http://www.kolumbus.fi/koivupiha/sp1.htm

Is it the PAIR systems that requires too rich AFR in order the hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide to be burned with the extra air injection ? I can't see any other reason for the overly rich mixtures expect that they aid engine to run somewhat cooler maybe.

Why it seems that the elimination of flapper valve does not require adding some fuel into the 6000-8000 rpm range, or where-ever the valve operates ? Only some Dan Kyle maps seem to add fuel in that area.

Any insight to these questions would be appreciated.

br, JuhaV

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
The Euro ECU is a completely different unit therefore the powercomander maps will not be compatable (sp?)

As far as the charging system and the powerconsumption of the components you mentioned. I believe the PC draws less then 1.5 amps and the Ahlmans speed healer less then that so probably not enough to consider. The laser jammer is the tricky thing. What is its actual draw in wattage?

The alternator is a 330 watt unit so it will supply about 27.5 amp at 5000 RPM

·
Registered
56 Posts
US versus Euro ECUs

sp2pilot said:
The Euro ECU is a completely different unit therefore the powercomander maps will not be compatable (sp?)
Hi sp2pilot or anyone else,

Could you elaborate on that a little more? The engine is basically the same so how does the ecu need to be very different ? Except for the soft rev limiter are there maybe significant ignition timing differences (different quality fuel) between US and Euro models ?

When looking into US and Euro maps in the Powercommander site there seems to be no basic difference in those maps. The difference between two Euro maps developed for two different setups (in practise for different exhaust systems) seems to be typically larger than any generic difference between US and Euro model maps.

Sorry for "endlessly" generating these questions, but it also hard to understand how there can so big differences in the trim values in adjancent cells in an individual map. For example, by moving 500 rpm into one direction the Powercommander trim value may jump 10 units ? Did Honda really make that bad job originally, or is this because of not-that-good dyno practitioner ? I understand that PC interpolates (i.e. averages) between adjacent cells, so it will smooth things out, but basically it seems that the changes in a good map should be rather smooth and not very abrupt.

Also the PC USB model seems to be exactly the same for both RC51 and SP1.

br, JuhaV

PS. Has anyone tried to affect the engine braking causing problems in track by increasing the fuel values in the PC map few first columns and especially high rpms ?

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
The PC adjust trim based on modifying the inputs from the sensors on the bike "fooling" the ecu to make mixture adjustments. The PC is not actually trimming the mixture like one would think a Carb Jet does.

As far as the ECU changes from Euro to North America. I really don't know what is different exactly. The soft rev is absent. I have attempted to use Euro maps as a starting point and found them so far off to not be worth using. I would Imagine North American Maps would have the same effect vise versa.

The one thing the USB model offers that is interesting from a home tuners point of view is the EGA interface that offers the tuner real time A/F readings as long as you are running a o2 sensor and a cockpit mounted guage.

The cylinder trim feature is interesting but I have not found any benefit of notice on the twins. The concept is sound however not really something I have found to need tweaking.

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok lets complicate this abit more. I just added the accelerator pump feature and did find it useful. I am using the Yosh cabons (race) with the mori low mount map ahla RC51 org. I added 85% sensetivity and 15% increase every 12 rpm. Believe me this made corner exits much more thrilling. However I found that you need to be much more carful about throttle adjustments mid corner. pretty cool new fearure. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.