Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: XR400 Motard from Honda (Dave)

I saw that Honda was making a tard out of their XR400 over on Supermotojunkies. I read up on it and Honda is selling them only in Japan. Cool but not for us—at least not yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: XR400 Motard from Honda (Eric Landstrom)

It may a sign of things to come.

Although the air-cooled 400 must be a complete dog on the street.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: XR400 Motard from Honda (Dave)

In many parts of the world, the XR400 sold in a street legal version. So for Honda to make an SM version is no big change. The new bodywork looks nice!
The XR would be an OK street bike for an urban environment as an ultra-reliable run-about, but it's short on HP and tall on heft.

Now if Honda would make a street legal crf250x or crf450x supermoto, that would be a step in the right direction!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: XR400 Motard from Honda (sm250)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sm250 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now if Honda would make a street legal crf250x or crf450x supermoto, that would be a step in the right direction!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think that will ever happen. However, a race-ready supermoto might be a possibility.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sm250 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think the engines in those things would hold together for even 1000 street miles. The 250x's have valve issues and are lucky if they can go 10 hours without needing adjustment and 20 hours before serious top end work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: XR400 Motard from Honda (Latebraker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Latebraker »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't think the engines in those things would hold together for even 1000 street miles. The 250x's have valve issues and are lucky if they can go 10 hours without needing adjustment and 20 hours before serious top end work.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not true. I race a CRF250R
. While there are some problems they are greatly exaggerated. I did need to replace the valves in my bike after one FULL season. By full, I mean the complete superbikers2 schedule, several practice days, several dirt days, and a 3-day off-road trip in Michigan. In other words, one hell of a pounding!

Either engine could be made reliable with a small sacrifice in power.
While I agree Honda will never make such a beast,
underpowered overweight street supermotos (DRZ, XR) kinda miss the target.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You must not have read the story in Dirt Rider where the group of women raced a CRF250X in a 24 hour MX race, they had to stop and do a valve adjustment before 10 hours was up and then they had to switch to a different bike before 20 hours was up. Then the replacement bike valves were out of adjustment before the race was over and they had to crank up the idle to keep it running because it would not want to start if it was stalled.

I personally think that is unacceptable and I hope Honda gets it straightened out, a person should be able to get more life than that out of a valvetrain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: XR400 Motard from Honda (Latebraker)

Actually, No I rarely read magazines aside from Supermoto Racer, just allot of recycled BS. I do read other owner forums like thumpertalk, etc.
There is a problem with the ti valves on some CRF250's. Other model 250's 4strokes also have some engine issues.

I think in order to be competitive with 125 2-smokers they're pushing the envelope of engine technology, maybe too far!?
I sure like mine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts