Speedzilla Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
Dude, MX/SX is by far the most popular motorcycle racing in the country, especially with kids. SX sells out stadiums every weekend, 30-40,000 ppl, and has had several live broadcasts per season.
Ever been to any amateur motocross races? Its 90% kids doing the racing. They cant drive cars or ride bikes on the street so those things hold no interest for them. Sure their numbers dont compare to the millions of kids playing stick and ball sports, but there are still thousands of kids out there who would smoke most of us silly on dirt.
The California rounds sell out because that is the Industry's playground, the Daytona round is during bike week, and Atlanta is the closest round to the New England states. Other than that, you would be VERY surprised to see the actual turnout. And walk around the races for a while, it's just tattooed teenage Industry wannabes in their black socks pulled up to their knees with Metal Mulisha hats and tshirts on. It's hardly the crush of kids you're claiming they are.

And the Amateur scene has been dying with the onset of 4 strokes. All the parents who thought their kid was the next big thing saw their retirements shrink to zero over the past 3 years and told their kids to play soccer.;) There is so little contingency money left from the Factories that it's all cashflow negative until they turn pro. And the age limit for turning pro has killed many a family who thought they would recoup their outlay of money when their kid signed a big contract at 15.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I love it! He's a fukn monster on a bike and that's all that matters to me.
This is all I care about as well. I had this arguement with a buddy when Charles Barkley did that video about "I am not a role model" your parents, teachers etc. are. He idolized sports "heroes" whereas I just enjoyed the show they provided.

That's where the difference is when these types of activities come up. I could care less what he does in his personal life he is still a top contender on motorcycles, the thing I care about, and if he wasn't we wouldn't have given this two seconds of thought because you would never have heard about it.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
As a whole we as a society have progressed greatly. The difference is that people like this are the outliers today where they were holding public office back in the Eisenhower era.

·
12,576 Posts
As a whole we as a society have progressed greatly. The difference is that people like this are the outliers today where they were holding public office back in the Eisenhower era.
If we back up a little, I said earlier that you can head to an outdoor National race and they are certainly NOT the outliers. Yet people want Stewart to go in front of these people even though he's not contracted to. And the last time he raced outdoors fulltime, he won EVERY MOTO AND EVERY OVERALL!:rolleyes:

And before we get into the whole "Damn Americans" banter by our overseas friends, lets remember that Stewart had all kinds of garbage and water bottles thrown at him while leading the MXdN while it was held in GB or Europe. Not sure which one it was, but it was an ugly scene about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
And before we get into the whole "Damn Americans" banter by our overseas friends, lets remember that Stewart had all kinds of garbage and water bottles thrown at him while leading the MXdN while it was held in GB or Europe. Not sure which one it was, but it was an ugly scene about 5 years ago.
Christophe Pourcel must have a good idea how Bubba felt I understand he hasn't had much better treatment in the US.

·
12,576 Posts
Christophe Pourcel must have a good idea how Bubba felt I understand he hasn't had much better treatment in the US.
Haha, he's a legend in his own mind, that's for sure. Always the bridesmaid, yet thinks he's a legend.:rolleyes: He's French and lacks personality so American's didn't take to him like they did w/ JMB. He hasn't been booed or had stuff thrown at him so to compare him to Stewie is just funny. He doesn't have fans, that's no one fault but his own.;) Wait, he doesn't have a ride either, and that's ALSO his own fault.:D

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Haha, he's a legend in his own mind, that's for sure. Always the bridesmaid, yet thinks he's a legend.:rolleyes: He's French and lacks personality so American's didn't take to him like they did w/ JMB. He hasn't been booed or had stuff thrown at him so to compare him to Stewie is just funny. He doesn't have fans, that's no one fault but his own.;) Wait, he doesn't have a ride either, and that's ALSO his own fault.:D
And let's not forget the reception Max Anstie got when he came over prior to turning pro last year and started beating the regular Amateurs eventually resulting in his pregnant mother being assaulted.
Chad Reed another foreigner who came over and won again was hated on.
It's only funny in your eyes Janie. ;)

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
If we back up a little, I said earlier that you can head to an outdoor National race and they are certainly NOT the outliers. Yet people want Stewart to go in front of these people even though he's not contracted to. And the last time he raced outdoors fulltime, he won EVERY MOTO AND EVERY OVERALL!:rolleyes:

Apparently people in St Louis were more gracious last night...
Cycle News | Emotions Flow as Stewart Wins St. Louis Supercross

·
12,576 Posts
21 - 39 of 39 Posts