Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain why WSBK picture quality is so bad? Are they still using standard def? Or is it a bad feed to the US? Moto GP looks great but WSBK is hard to watch.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
They most still be standard def, and since they are PAL (25fps 50 hertz) and we are NTSC (24fps 60 hertz), once they convert their signal to ours, the quality goes to shit. Its like uploading your hi def video up to youTube.

PAL is much better quality than NTSC when talking standard def signals thanks to the extra frame (lines) per second delivered (25 fps vs 24 fps), but compressed to show on our NTSC TV you get the shitty quality you see which its word than NTSC alone..its a weird effect but YouTUbe is the best analogy i can come up with to explain how compressing a signal (25fps for PAL into 24fps for NTSC) actually degrades things significantly more than if it was NTSC to begin with.

to make matters even worst, your watching a standard def signal in a HD TV (i assume) which also makes things worst. Standard def on regular TVs looks fine of course, standard def of HD TV looks twice as bad....add the PAL to NTSC compression and you get the worst possible scenario for picture quality.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Picture quality varies wildly according to the country the race is held into. Yesterday race was very poor, though I only saw snippets of it since I lost signal pretty early on (the joys of DTV...).
I think this depends on the fact production standards set by Infront are below MotoGP/F1 levels or they have to "make do" when choosing the local production company either to save money or because of exclusivity agreements.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've found that it helps to watch this before I watch a current WSBK race and the picture doesn't look so bad.

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
finally an answer....thanks, drsus. I guess nothing can be done about it then? almost not worth watching (I end up watching 1. MotoGP via web, 2. AMA cuz it's HD, finally...then, 3. WSBK- picture SUX!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.