Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Wow! Kinda put us in our place... (manic)

This is old news, the subject is being debated in another thread (we now return you to your regularly scheduled programing....speedtv suxs).........how is this sport supposed to grow when its being held down?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Wow! Kinda put us in our place... (Xfirebladeowner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xfirebladeowner »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is old news, the subject is being debated in another thread (we now return you to your regularly scheduled programing....speedtv suxs).........how is this sport supposed to grow when its being held down?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Being held down?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Wow! Kinda put us in our place... (slyde)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slyde »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Being held down?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Held down by the NASCAR machine!!!!

Nobody is holding it back, there just aren't many fans here. I mean, if you do the numbers it's quite sad. There were just under 60,000 paying fans that attended the USGP, and there were under 200,000 TV's tuned into the USGP (live and free). That's probably a total of less than 500,000 people in America watching America's biggest race of the year.

With numbers like that, we're lucky it's on TV at all.

I think the sport has to grow itself, but I don't know how to do that. I have tried for years to get people around me interested in it, but even with the proximity of the Hayden clan I haven't had any luck. Then again, people have tried to get me interested in soccer. There are just some things that aren't gonna fly here, I guess.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Wow! Kinda put us in our place... (Baasinator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baasinator »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Held down by the NASCAR machine!!!!

Nobody is holding it back, there just aren't many fans here. I mean, if you do the numbers it's quite sad. There were just under 60,000 paying fans that attended the USGP, and there were under 200,000 TV's tuned into the USGP (live and free). That's probably a total of less than 500,000 people in America watching America's biggest race of the year.

With numbers like that, we're lucky it's on TV at all.

I think the sport has to grow itself, but I don't know how to do that. I have tried for years to get people around me interested in it, but even with the proximity of the Hayden clan I haven't had any luck. Then again, people have tried to get me interested in soccer. There are just some things that aren't gonna fly here, I guess.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im too tired to repeat myself> http://speedzilla.zeroforum.co...age=3

But to clarify the remark above it was roughly 51000 PER day x 3 days = 153,000 ppl that attended. Only FOUR other GP rounds beat these numbers last yr.......FOUR! Whats so sad about the numbers??? Considering it hasnt been here for 11 yrs!!!

Wanna know whats sad, the amount of ppl who are supposedly FANS of this sport punking out the return of the GP and just talking it down rather than wanting to do something about it...IMO ofcourse!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xfirebladeowner »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But to clarify the remark above it was roughly 51000 PER day x 3 days = 153,000 ppl that attended. Only FOUR other GP rounds beat these numbers last yr.......FOUR! Whats so sad about the numbers??? Considering it hasnt been here for 11 yrs!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm talking about individuals. There were around 60,000 people who went to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP round. There were not 150,000 people. I doubt 40,000 went to the track on Friday, and then a different 55,000 went to the track on Saturday, and then a different 60,000 people went to the track on Sunday.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xfirebladeowner »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Wanna know whats sad, the amount of ppl who are supposedly FANS of this sport punking out the return of the GP and just talking it down rather than wanting to do something about it...IMO ofcourse!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm not talking anything down. It was a great event! I spent two days on the phone last year to get USGP tickets. I spent most of this year's vacation money going to Laguna Seca to show my support. I bought stuff from the vendors to show my support. I will attend two AMA rounds this year to show my support. And I'll watch all the other races on SPEED, because I can.

I love motorcycle racing. But I know there aren't many Americans out there like us. I'm just being realistic, and I'm glad I still get to see every AMA round and every MotoGP round on SPEED. I would love them to be shown on ABC Sports or ESPN every week and I would love to see 3 million viewers tuning in. But it ain't happening. There simply aren't that many fans here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Im too tired to repeat myself> http://speedzilla.zeroforum.co...age=3

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't read the other thread - I was thinking that it may be a spoiler for the WSBK race at Bruno that I tivoed.

But you are wrong - 51,000 per day = 51,000 plus a few. Who goes to a GP race track for Friday and Saturday but leaves on Sunday???

You can't count the same person 3 times and then add them up and compare that to other events that get that many people on race day!

It isn't Nascar's fault that fault that no one watched the race. If it weren’t for nascar, Speed wouldn't be in as many households as it is now - and there wouldn't be as many opportunities for people to NOT watch the race.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I bed they wouldnt be 40.000 next year in Firday's free practice..

What does matter is how many people come to see the Race itself!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Despite the depressingly frequent rain showers in practice the track remained dry throughout the race and the 101,521 Saturday spectators were treated to a MotoGP race full of incident.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was double of what the Laguna Round had on Sunday.

With so much trouble on going and leaving fromt he track if i go next year it would be two day trip... and propably go to see just Sat qualifing and the sunday race.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Wow! Kinda put us in our place... (Giannis)

some more facts

Europe is 3/4 of US area but it has 11 GP rounds. US has one round.. Could you image how many people would show up if was just one round in Europe???

Spaniards can choose between 4 different rounds on their country and the neighbor Portugal.. with attendance of 100.000 on a Race day. They don't really care anymore to see free practice on Friday..when they are able to see Some of the best races just a few hours from their homes!

50.000 people for a GP race is VERY LOW number...
unfortunately!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bed they wouldnt be 40.000 next year in Firday's free practice..
</TD></TR></TABLE>
You might be right. I didn't go on Friday and I don't plan to next year, but I would like to know how people got in on Thursday. I heard that was the best time to be in the paddock, but I didn't even know you could go on Thursday!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does matter is how many people come to see the Race itself!</TD></TR></TABLE>
1) It was great that the race sold out. At least we know there are more than 60,000 fans here. 2) Combine that with the number of people that tuned in on TV, and you get a good picture of the fan base here in America.

People are complaining about SPEED and talking like we're victims of some grand conspiracy. They talk as if millions of American motorcycle fans are being screwed out of their well deserved race coverage. I'm just saying that if our sport doesn't even have 500,000 total fans, how can we complain? The TV coverage isn't that bad considering that nobody wants to watch it anyway.

Like Jess said, at least we aren't trying to find live horse races or whatever on TV. Horse people probably have more fans than we do, so yes I'm happy with what I get to see on TV right now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
50.000 people for a GP race is VERY LOW number...
unfortunately!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly! I don't think Laguna Seca could hold much more than 60,000 but it doesn't really matter since they obviously wouldn't have sold out 100,000 tickets if they had 'em.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sportbike guys doesnt even know who V Rossi is...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Additional popular sports that americans have little interest in:

1) Soccer;
2) Bicycle Racing;
3) Formula One;

Popular american sports that the rest of the world has little interest in:

1) Nascar;
2) Football;
3) Drag Racing

Feel free to add to the list!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Wow! Kinda put us in our place... (socal)

Bicycle racing is growing again and if Formula One keeps putting cute Femals in the seat that will start to grow as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Wow! Kinda put us in our place... (jersey_devil_68)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jersey_devil_68 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bicycle racing is growing again and if Formula One keeps putting cute Femals in the seat that will start to grow as well.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah.

Funny how bicycle racing seems to get more popular every year, right about this time.

And "cute females" in Formula One? Might want to check your facts on that one...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Wow! Kinda put us in our place... (AZ Scott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah.

Funny how bicycle racing seems to get more popular every year, right about this time.

And "cute females" in Formula One? Might want to check your facts on that one...</TD></TR></TABLE>

[Austin Powers] That's a man, baby! [/Austin Powers]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (TBONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TBONE »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Drag racing is a growing sport as well and Danica Patric looks alright!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea Sure TBONE....you like girls....Riiiiight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (hearing8)

Unless I'm mistaken, the USGP was a sellout. A sellout at Laguna=50 some odd thousand fans. What is a sellout at Valencia...100,000+?! You could not get 100,000 into Laguna. Those who were there know the hassles of getting into and out of the place. It's pretty simple, Laguna is not a good track for Moto GP. Someone needs to build a state of the art track in Texas or Nevada that has acres of free parking, excellent shuttle service, etc, etc. blah blah blah. Until the facilities exist, the USGP will be small time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (DocHolliday)

I understand that the MotoGP round at Laguna Seca was watched by approx. 300 million people. That's more than probably any sporting event in the US, except for the F1 race, and the Superbowl, and a few tennis events, I guess. Right?

But, if MotoGP and AMA isn't on the ESPN radar, or ABC/NBC/CBS sports, it's not likely that viewers will give a damn. It's mentioned so frikkin' often, and it's a pain, but most motorcyclists dont' give a damn about racing. They'll actually go to a bike night and talk basketball, or wear some crazed form of basketball or football attire to represent. Assbags. (!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Wow! Kinda put us in our place... (manic)

The World of Outlaws should have higher ratings.
They run 100 nights a year or so, throughout the US. The probably draw over 1 million people to see their races live every year. Also, they've been doing it for 20 years or more. If professional motorcycle racing is going to grow to be BIG in the U.S. then it's going to take a big infusion of smarts, money and marketing prowess from the AMA, the promoters, the manufacturers. Oh, and it's going to take 10-15 years. BTW- next time the Outlaws come to your town, check it out. It's loud, fast and fun. Bring earplugs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by manic »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The biggest motorcycle event in this country in 12 years and World of outlaws beat the crap out of us. </TD></TR></TABLE>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts