Speedzilla Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: Worthwhile mods for a 996 racebike? (brad black)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brad black »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...using the clutch doesn't cost much time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also true. I find it's a convenience thing more than anything, one less control (the clutch lever) I have to position myself to use - and the shifts are smoother and easier than backing off the throttle for clutchless upshifts, though actually I'll often back off the throttle very slightly anyway even when I shift with the quickshifter, because I find it's less apt to miss the shift and leave me spinning in false neutral at about 88,000 RPM.
But I doubt it really buys me anything significant in lap time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: Worthwhile mods for a 996 racebike? (996miami (twentyninedollars))

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 996miami (twentyninedollars) »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I talked with the mechanic last night about some modifications but would like input on some items.

(This is an approx. 19k mileage '99 Ducati 996 track-only bike, because sportbike riding on the streets is boring; it has Ohlins rear, 520 chain, 52mm full Arrow, CF airbox, slipper clutch, CF bodywork, rearsets). I want more braking, and need it too. I want more power. I want better handling, mostly quicker steering.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I too will weigh in with the sentiment that if this is your first race, I'd safety wire it, put on race glass, new tires, bleed the brakes, top up the tank and go racing. Regardless of how many track days you've done in the past, you'll make astonishing drops in your lap times your first year of racing without ever touching the bike.

Consider what classes your bike is eligable for, and plan any mods around that. For instance, if your racing organization has a Heavyweight Twins Supersport and Heavyweight Twins Superbike class, keep your bike in Supersport trim so you can race in both. I like Supersport-spec classes as it -- to a large degree, at least -- takes the "who has the deepest wallet" aspect out of it.

Also keep in mind that, while racing taxes any bike, racing a Ducati is going to require more maintenance and upkeep than a Japanese bike. And the more you breath on a Ducati, the more money you'll spend in maintenance. I campaigned a full-on hot-rod 748 Pro Thunder bike one year and broke something every other race. I've campaigned a 996 or 998 in Supersport spec the past two years and haven't done anything but routine maintenance.

Okay, with all that said, here's my opinion on modifications:

1) Good brakes. As long as you don't have the evil round-hole "swiss cheese" Brembo rotors, your stock stuff is more than up-to-snuff with stainless lines, good fluid, and good pads. Personally, I'd pop for the Brembo GP radial mastercylinder before four-pad calipers. I think the radial MC makes a *big* difference in braking power and feel. I've ridden back to back with the two-pad and four-pad calipers and frankly can feel very little difference. I've also raced with Brembo billet GP narrowband calipers and Brembo narrowband rotors, and it was the best braking system I've ever raced with. However, even the two-piece billet calipers that I had were about $1,000 each (the one-piece you see on the factory bikes are nearly $2,000 each), and the narrow-band rotors are about $750 each. (No, I didn't buy the stuff -- it was on the bike when I bought it.) So I'm not sure what "Brembo GP Calipers" your guy is talking about for $800/pair.

2) Light wheels. Hard to find a bigger bang for the buck than this. Plus you can spoon your rains on your stock wheels and you're not standing in line at the tire truck or manning tire spoons 10 minutes before your race is called.

3) Suspension. Get a Penske or Ohlins rear shock and have it set up for your weight and riding ability. Send your forks out to a reputable suspension shop and have them set up with the proper springs and valving for you. Take the time to learn to dial things in at the track, and get a feel for how ride height changes the bike's handling. I had Ohlins R&T forks on my last 748 Pro Thunder bike, and while they're a little more plush and a little easier to tune than a set of reworked Showas, the difference doesn't justify the cost. BTW, Ohlins Superbike forks will set you back nearly $10k -- their R&T forks are $2k. To really see a difference, though, you need to add a set of custom triples ($1k) and the long swingarm ($2.5k).

4) Engine work. Assuming you already have a set of slip-ons, a set of hi-comp pistons is a nice addition to a 996. SPS cams are a next step. Much past that, and you're looking at porting, full exhaust, Carrillo rods, etc. You can make 140 hp out of a 996 with enough money, but you'll also tear it down to the crank every fourth or fifth race.

Before I put much money into the engine on a 996, I'd look into upgrading to a 998 or 999. The new Testa motor is a bunch nicer, and it's a lot easier to pull hp out of. And since the 999S and the 999R are both US-legal street bikes, they're legal for Supersport-spec classes, which is like shooting fish in a barrel if you're on one of those in a field of 996s.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re: Worthwhile mods for a 996 racebike? (Wounded Duc)

Got the Brembo goldline w/narrowband rotors, new slipper cpm plates, gold marchesinis (happy) magnesium rims, DC Hi comp pistons and cams, and everything prepped, and, hello welcome to 38 years old: an injured back. So, I'll miss the race, but will go to another one next month or in April (when it's not 50-60 deg. outside - freakin' brutal!!!)

I've raced before, so I've got just about everything set up and wired, and lookin' happy. CF bodywork, I have my bag of cheetos and gatorade, funky aluminum glasses and a pit crew of bouncy, busty American women who like beer and loud motorcycles, and the word 'Fizzzzzz'.

Life is good. cya on the track, suckers...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Re: Worthwhile mods for a 996 racebike? (996miami (twentyninedollars))

Do we get a picture of the bike...

Do you want to trade pit crews.... My pit crew is three beer drink'en shit talk'en ******** that's never work on a motorcycle before let alone a Ducati.... but they do love loud bike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Re: Worthwhile mods for a 996 racebike? (Mike996)

I have lost or misplaced the cable to my Nikon d-camera!! I'll shoot some new pics and upload when possible, prob. in a week or two - long work days and extracurricular activities ya know...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.