1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Sounds interesting , a no holds barred moto speedfest , but I don't think it would be feasible in N. America as opposed to Europe where bike racing is much more popular . Good luck to them .

·
Registered
651 Posts
One likely venue will be Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama, but this is not official, and tracks around the world are being considered.
:rockon

I will be there if so

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Run those beeches at the Isle of Man! :notworthy

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
virtually real
143 Posts
I hope they pull it off. Never have really understood why top-level motorsport has to be so tightly governed. The track will determine what's fastest - the bikes won't end up looking that different from each other.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think a turbocharged rotary would be the best regarding power to weight ratio from any given powerplant, until.. well, see my sig :p

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I like the part where Crane said for 100k he could build a bike that would be faster than a Moto GP bike...will it turn?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Speaking of Turbo Rotary's...

I think a turbocharged rotary would be the best regarding power to weight ratio from any given powerplant, until.. well, see my sig :p
I was at a Dyno shop the other day where all of these Toyota Supra's and old 3.0 Inline 6 Toyota motors were with big Turbo's... crap cars on the outside, but motors stock putting out 550 - 700 HP. With internals, one was up to 940+...

Impressive. Best of all driven easy they get 35 miles a gallon all because the computer is reset for it.

Then in comes an RX-3 (from the 70's), a little rotary with 13B in it and turbo charger that's bigger than the motor. Stock motor with a turbo throwing 40lbs of boost to it. It's a drag car and it pulled 700 hp + and they were working for more.

Just amazing what some of these cars can do with boost and the right computer.

But amazing what a well ridden SV650 can do to most cars too for no money.:eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
One likely venue will be Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama, but this is not official, and tracks around the world are being considered.
:rockon

I will be there if so
Isn't Barber a little short and tight for that kind of speed? 2.3 miles?

Laguna Seca is about the same length, and the GP bikes can't stretch it out there.

Sepang is 3.5 miles for example.......

How about the Gotlandring in Sweden? (assuming it's finished, and this mythical moto race actually gets off the ground)?

Gotland Ring

BTW, this "run what you brung" rules structure reminds me of the old Formula USA series. 1325cc methanol-burning Suzukis running against Nitrous-Oxide boosted 250 GP bikes, etc.

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
I was at a Dyno shop the other day where all of these Toyota Supra's and old 3.0 Inline 6 Toyota motors were with big Turbo's... crap cars on the outside, but motors stock putting out 550 - 700 HP. With internals, one was up to 940+...

Impressive. Best of all driven easy they get 35 miles a gallon all because the computer is reset for it.

Then in comes an RX-3 (from the 70's), a little rotary with 13B in it and turbo charger that's bigger than the motor. Stock motor with a turbo throwing 40lbs of boost to it. It's a drag car and it pulled 700 hp + and they were working for more.

Just amazing what some of these cars can do with boost and the right computer.

But amazing what a well ridden SV650 can do to most cars too for no money.:eek:
Yeah, sweet, eh?
BTW- I think you mean "RX-7"

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Cool.... I used to think about this concept too, but the lnoly logical reason I could come up with why its not done is safety... some fool with no skills is gonna think he will win if he can add nitrous and turbocharge his busa and kill himself trying.... I see that kind of no hold barred stuff working in a straight line a.k.a drag racing .... add cornering and braking or accelerating out of a corner and there will be a lot of carnage... I will still watch it though! :D

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Cool.... I used to think about this concept too, but the lnoly logical reason I could come up with why its not done is safety... some fool with no skills is gonna think he will win if he can add nitrous and turbocharge his busa and kill himself trying.... I see that kind of no hold barred stuff working in a straight line a.k.a drag racing .... add cornering and braking or accelerating out of a corner and there will be a lot of carnage... I will still watch it though! :D
I'm sure they'll have some sort of qualifying....maybe the top 32 out of the 1000s that will show up....every hotdog in the country will be there.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Unless the idea is to harness the bikes by putting them on a track with no real straights, Barber is simply the wrong venue. Don't get me wrong - I love the place. But it is hardly the track for no-holds-barred Can-Am-style unlimited bike racing. Road America. Road Atlanta. These are the tracks where HP is king. I would LOVE to see all-out stuff at Road America,
BTW, anybody who thinks he or she can build a bike faster than a current MotoGp racewinner for $100,000.00 is completely delusional. Hell, the electronics package alone is worth fout times that at LEAST!
I'm 100 per cent in favor of this lunacy. My only concern is this: Is one million dollars even close to being enough to bring out the really serious players?

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gee, if we could just get unpainted huffy, Larry, and Michael Cycz together...........:banghead

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

PS> The "big" track at Willow would be fookin' PERFECT!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts