Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike is officially retired for the winter and before I put her away, I dressed her up real good before putting her inside my basement.
Curious to see what products y'all are using to bring out the bike's shine and cleanliness?

I'll start with my list:

1) WD 40 for frame/rims/rearsets and other metal.
2) Simply Green for pipes and grime.
3) Honda Spray for fairings/windshield.
4) Kerosene to clean chain/ sprockets
5) Armorall for tires :eek: J/K -Seat

I can't remember the last time I used soap and water on the bike
since this is the normal cleaning list I use with paper towels/rags and
soft towels.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lemon Pledge, the detailer's secret. Cleans, protects, brings back shine and color to old plastic and leaves a lemony fresh scent to boot.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
getting chilly.............

Nice list........Simple Green, just never liked it. Pledge......good to go!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dezmo- Thanks for reminding me to hose the bike pipes off with water as I did not do this and don't want it to damage the aluminum. Thx for the heads up.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
make sure theres no simple green on anything aluminum. it will etch it.
I think You might be mixing up "Simple Green" with "Castrol Purple Power" or (something like that) because that's the shit You do NOT want to leave but for a couple seconds and risen fast!

I have never had a problem with Simple Green etching anything on My rides;) FWIW... I have actually sprayed the SG on and have left it as a prebreak in and spray again upon return for a good clean wipe down, on those hard baked in bugs and stuff, NO etching at all.

So this is Why I asking You IF maybe you're mixing up cleaners..?

And to v-2 superbike,
My list is the same, with alittle testings of other things here and there like "New Finish" is one which I like as well... I've also used "Scrubbing Bubble" stuff (bath tub cleaner) for breaking down the bugs fairings and fork tubes... but I ALWAYS go back to the HONDA Spray Polish and Cleaner! Although here in VA., They (They who??) did away with the HONDA brand acouple years back and have come out with the EXACT same stuff, just No HONDA name on the can.. ;)

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I still use soft water and an auto soap for the initial cleaning , then move on to spot-degreasing if needed . Never been a fan of just spraying the entire bike with a cleaner and wiping 'cause there's always bits of gravel and grime which can scratch ; these bits get washed away by the water wash from the start . BTW , I won't be spending the money for Honda Polish anymore since running out of it and having to use Pledge for the spoked back wheel of my chain-drive Shadow . It removed the grease BETTER than the Honda stuff at 1/4 the cost , so I'm a believer now . And here's a little tip for cleaning those confined spaces : go to the dollar store and get yourself a collection of small handled-sponges , tiny "mops" , and also those sponges covered with plastic mesh . Cheap , effective , and disposable way to degrease the bike . These are the same types of wands/sponges that come in $60 "detailing kits ." :clapper

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dish soap and warm water.

I must be old school - I cant wrap my head around all the different products out there so I don't even try. Never had any problem with the tried and tested - I just dont have that honda shine I guess.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Dish soap and warm water.

I must be old school - I cant wrap my head around all the different products out there so I don't even try. Never had any problem with the tried and tested - I just dont have that honda shine I guess.
Yeah,... You're Definitely OLD school IF you're still using "dish soap" it's been shown something like 10 years ago, that whatever wax you use on your car/motorcycle-ride,... the dish soap removes it,... So unless you don't mind waxing your ride after every wash.... it works for you..:rockon

FWIW.... I ONLY use water to rinse the spray... Simple green: Headlights front fairnigs maybe 2 times a year, that's it, everything else is cleaners and micro fiber towels!:rockon

There is one member here who I've heard NEVER uses water... and every time you see pictures of his MCs they look TOP Notch! Who here knows who I'm talking about?!

Peace Jeff

PS. Chuck knows who I'm talking about, and I'm sure there's others too!;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts