Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I live in Idaho and would like to attend a track day this winter. Which track days this winter would be worth the long drive?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Or drive up to McCall, rent a sled and make tracks all over the mountains! Not only is it a wicked rush, it's a good cardio workout too

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Jennings runs year round but a long way from Idaho. Aren't there a lot of tracks in Cali that run year round? Vegas? I think some even rent bikes.

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
Jennings is very popular with canadian racers during the winter, a lot of them leave enclosed trailers with their bikes/gear there and visit several times before spring. You can always spot the canadian chicks, they are the ones laying out in bikinis despite the fact that its 50F. :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
...well, your post asked "worth the long drive"... fortunately for me, it's only a hundred miles away... it's very reasonably priced, the people who run it are friendly & helpful, camping in the pits is free & very popular -- lots of campfires & comaraderie... In fact, i think i'll be going back again in about 2 weeks... for me, it's definately worth the drive, and to get a break from the snow covered midwest... i'd think that it's worth the long drive.

i'm not the best authority on tracks, only been to Jennings & Barber so far...
Daytona (because it's there & only 88 miles away --- but expensive), VIR, & Road Atlanta are on my to do list

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
...well, your post asked "worth the long drive"... fortunately for me, it's only a hundred miles away... it's very reasonably priced, the people who run it are friendly & helpful, camping in the pits is free & very popular -- lots of campfires & comaraderie... In fact, i think i'll be going back again in about 2 weeks... for me, it's definately worth the drive, and to get a break from the snow covered midwest... i'd think that it's worth the long drive.

i'm not the best authority on tracks, only been to Jennings & Barber so far...
Daytona (because it's there & only 88 miles away --- but expensive), VIR, & Road Atlanta are on my to do list
Rd Atlanta is the funnest track you will ride!

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jennings runs year round but a long way from Idaho. Aren't there a lot of tracks in Cali that run year round? Vegas? I think some even rent bikes.
It is only 2500 miles one way.:eek: :eek: :eek: I was hoping for something a little closer. I do have a plan for this summer to do dragons tail. One long trip a year is all I can afford. Cali, AZ, NM, NV would be nice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i can tell you just coming from LA that it is still cold as hell during the winter to ride at the track. Maybe Fontana but i haven't done that one except mid year. Others like willow, buttonwillow, laguna etc. all freaking cold, but should be no snow if thats your goal. you can try parhump in nv

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Rd Atlanta is the funnest track you will ride!
You obviously haven't ridden any other tracks...

Road Atlanta is quite BORING........ You twist the throttle to the stop, brake turn, repeat over & over & over again. There is very little finesse or skill required at Road Atlanta just a willingness to keep the bike pinned and brake late. It's a very point & shoot racetrack where quite frankly the biggest motor usually wins.

In contrast to Barber where the size of your motor means absolutely nothing and the skill of the rider is everything. You have to learn the track and accept every nuance of each turn as a unique entity that has to be dealt with and being off the proper line means you have to struggle through a couple more turns just to get back to where you should be. Each turn has a positive or negative camber or sometimes both depending on whether you are on the way in or the way out and going quick takes a rider that can control the throttle rather than just whack it wide open.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
if I could only ride VIR for the rest of my days... I'd be perfectly happy little camper. my favorite place by far.

might try to make it to Jennings this winter though.

VIR North Course was my favorite until they made Barber which instantly outclasses everything else we have here in the States and many of the tracks overseas too or at the very least most of the tracks abroad that I have been too.

Here on the West coast now I live 30 seconds from Laguna Seca, but it is the most overhyped track in the world plus the noise restructions are just plain Fugin stupid so I try to get my fix at Infineon which is similar to Barber just a lot more dangerous :) We've got this crappy little goat path called Buttonwillow here too that I just love. It's fairly close, cheap, challenging and just a lot of damn fun out in the middle of nowhere.

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
I actually have more fun on south, but north is def more challenging and a complete hoot too.
I lived in SoCal out there in the middle of the desert for quite a few years. unfortunately I only rode dirt back then, so I never had a chance to sample any of those tracks.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
You obviously haven't ridden any other tracks...

Road Atlanta is quite BORING........ You twist the throttle to the stop, brake turn, repeat over & over & over again. There is very little finesse or skill required at Road Atlanta just a willingness to keep the bike pinned and brake late. It's a very point & shoot racetrack where quite frankly the biggest motor usually wins.

In contrast to Barber where the size of your motor means absolutely nothing and the skill of the rider is everything. You have to learn the track and accept every nuance of each turn as a unique entity that has to be dealt with and being off the proper line means you have to struggle through a couple more turns just to get back to where you should be. Each turn has a positive or negative camber or sometimes both depending on whether you are on the way in or the way out and going quick takes a rider that can control the throttle rather than just whack it wide open.
Rd Atlanta is just easier to learn is why I said it was more fun. It is a fast track and a few elevation changes help, I like it. Barber is much more challenging. It's so wide it takes a while to learn the correct line. It is a great facility...very well kept.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So am getting the feeling there aren't any fun tracks to ride during the winter months on the western part of the country. Bummer

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Make the pilgrimage to Deals Gap then down to Jennings!

ROAD TRIP!

I normally fly to MD for the Motocross Outdoor Nationals each year. I figured I wold drive to the dragon and then to MD for the race. That way I could pickup my car also (located in MD) and tow it back. That is a summer thing (Father's Day weekend).

·
Registered
73 Posts
So am getting the feeling there aren't any fun tracks to ride during the winter months on the western part of the country. Bummer
Thunderhill, Sears, Laguna, and Bwillow. All great tracks during the winter time. If its not raining, its relatively cold though. I typically end my season at Thunderhill with a weekend event around Thanksgiving. Most providers on the westcoast begin opening up again around February.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts