Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats everyone up to as far as winter rc51 projects go?

Just painted her black after shaving that right headlight...
while it was down I turned the flywheel

Winter is pretty much here

I am being very ambitious and want to get these all done before spring...
Think i would be lucky to complete just a couple of them lol

in order of importance/plan of attack

diy front mount rads from 600rr rad (ref metal scorpio) - couple days work

diy hrc kit style case breather (ref bruchi/hrc manual) - day

sp2 swinger (have to clean up swinger and turn mount) - day
diy custom stainless full exhaust - week
motty afr/rewire harness - week

diy underseat cf fueltank tank dummy/airbox (ref thorston)
molds - week
placement - week
layup - week
finish - week

if i can grab an extra motor for cheap then for sure!
bore & stroke

·
Denmark
512 Posts
Not quite as ambitious as you, but

Just fitted a T1 air intake.

Plans for the winter is
T1 airbox and customfitting a BMC filter to it.
Relocating battery
Fitting SP2 subframe and relocating the electronics
Modding upper to single headlight for an endurance-style look
Finding Brembo M/Cs and getting some Spiegler braided lines.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard that, wtb list is big...

all i still need to buy for winter is the afr tuner and some exhaust tubing/bends and expoxy resin lol I think i can keep myself real busy for $1k...

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Most of the work was done last Winter so this year it will be much less ambitious.

A good clean underneath the clothes
A new positive battery cable
Getting an MOT to keep it road legal
Manufacture new brackets for the headlight fillers
If time allows getting a new custom map for the PC

That would be pretty much all.

Then new engine oil and brake fluid before the next season. ;)

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
nothing too crazy for me. first and foremost would be to purchase some suspension as im riding this bike to its limits with the stock stuff. ideally id like to buy some already built forks for my weight (220ish) and a used rear shock (id like to get the elka double clicker).

if i found a good deal on an aftermarket airbox id get that and then a new dyno tune (just got a dyno tune about a month ago).

want to get a circuit 1 right side case cover (durability, and cosmetics)

i was looking to buy an already race cut rear subframe, but most people want too much $ so ill probably just cut my stocker down and relocate electronics, etc...

if i found a good deal on a sharkskinz superbike tail id pick it up and repaint it as the one i have on there weighs about twice as much as the stock unit with lights, and seat included (its ridiculously heavy).

otherwise, ill be taking her down to just the frame, swinger and motor and giving her a highly detailed scrubbing and cleaning. locktite and torque all bolts to spec. also, some of the small black brackets that hold either bodyparts, or rad lines, etc... have some small surface rust so im going to remove them and repaint them.

im going to do the nicky mod myself (ill post pics when im done).

and i have a list of small parts that im going to give out to family so they can get them as christmas presents (small things that are primarily cosmetic).

so i have a few diy projects to perform.

suspension to buy before any other big $ items and perhaps an airbox if a good deal is found

of course change oil (i just flushed out the entire cooling system and filled with fresh engine ice, so that is done now, also just changed plugs on her too).

and that about sums it up for me.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Not much for me either. New bars, top clamp, brake lines, Body (with new paint), Remove engine and clean everything.

·
1,061 Posts
Fly wheel weight reduction
CBR600RR coils
Upgrade to radial Brakes
Build a new under tail
Change tacho leds to bright white
Make aluminum fairing brackets
Possible find some new body work
CF Airbox/Snorkel
build some a123 batteries

Vanillagorilla I saw that underseat fuel tank you were talking about. That's got to drastically change the handling for the better.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
We really don't have winter in San Ho..more like it rains (a few storm here and there thankfully) and a few weeks of chilly day. Nothing most can't ride in. Meet the purist and craziest riders out then.:rockon

So I don't have a Winter List but I do have a WISH LIST.

-Dammm Vanilla got me thinking really hard on the Flywheel so I'll make some calls later.

-Prep my crashed Sharkskin fairings for round headlights which I've been saving for a few years to do:banghead..remember, it's my wish list. This is harder for me because I know jack about fiberglassing things for the headlights mounts. The prep/filler for paint. Have a tank to learn to fix or send out as well.:banghead

-Spare scratched up headlight that I like to try the projector mod.

-Finally learn how to do Sag, being paying others to do it..time to know what the heck I am paying for.

-Get my front wheel checked out to see if they can straighten it out a bit(very minor chatter/wobble under braking) and hopefully powder coat the set. Thinking white currently but that's not solid yet.

-Hunt down why my darn fuse for the blinker keeps on popping..darn fluids must be low again!!!

-and lastly..if I suck at prepping my fairings or just tired of it? I am going to cover the darn fairings in zebra or whatever jungle animal faux skins because I want to get people to laugh at it(I have a wacked sense of humor) but hopefully they'll see it from behind.:woot:

Oh..and I expect one out of these will see completion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Now that I've finished school, I can actually finish my RC. I have to put together the front triple and install the forks. Then I will install the radiators, airbox, exhaust, and fuel tank so I can try starting it and make sure there aren't any suspect engine sounds. After that the rest of the finishing touches to make it roadworthy will be going back on. March will be 3 years since I have ridden it because of my track day crash so I am trying to get it done before March. :p

·
Registered
416 Posts
Forks

Well my winter is going to be spent in the hospital but I hope to get my forks off and sent somewhere to be built for my weight. Who do you guys recommend and any special tricks? The front feels much worse since I put the Penske on the rear. At only 140lbs this thing is tough to set up!!

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Well my winter is going to be spent in the hospital but I hope to get my forks off and sent somewhere to be built for my weight. Who do you guys recommend and any special tricks? The front feels much worse since I put the Penske on the rear. At only 140lbs this thing is tough to set up!!
good luck to you in the hospital man. and for forks, send them to dan kyle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good shit fellas!

I challenge myself and all of you to start threads when you are performing your mods and post pics... I know its not always easy but lets see what we can get started over here on zilla...

inspire everyone many things you can do on your own that will help change you bike for the better!

im still a proud rc51 owner!:rockon

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I plan on having the engine rebuilt in my VTR (adding JE 0.5mm OS high comp pistons with moly skirt coat and ceramic top coat, Carrillo rods, ceramic tranny and water pump bearings, new DLC-coated valves, pins and tappets, getting crank balanced, valve seats refreshed... should get very close to 135 rwhp and mid-80s torque) Also installing FP Shift Star, SPAL fan with manual override, inline cooler (keep the beast cool).... Also fitting the RC51 speedo I have to the Graves aluminum fairing stay, and fabbing a one-off aluminum sub-frame from a CBR900RR unit. Significantly more power and a decent drop in weight (particularly up high and away from center; curb weight should be right at, or less than, 400 lb when done).... should be an eye-opening ride come springtime..... :D Oh yes, and installing my new (to me, freshly rebuilt) Ohlins shock.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts