Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to have a problem with my battery...checked it today for the first time in 4mos and all of the wells were dry so I filled them all up with distilled water.

I've heard of people leaving tenders on all the time....why? Have I just been lucky? Do I just happen to ride it enough to not have to worry? I've gone up to 2wks and haven't had a problem with it starting at all?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: why do people have battery issues and use tenders>? (Red900SS)

Not sure the issue, but I keep the Ducs in the stable on tenders and still on the original batteries. ST4s battery is four years old now. 998 three years.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you have a problem before the tenders? If so, why?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C'mon Red....first the ill-maintained, worn out chain, then dry cells in the batt? It might be a stretch but I'll wager your sportin' clapped out rubber with around 8psi in the front? hope I'm way off base.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
way off. Cut me some slack. I'm getting her all spiffy. I've only had her 600miles here.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (Red900SS)

Not trying to pile on here, Red, but after 4 months sitting, all the cells in your battery were DRY? And you say you haven't had any battery trouble??? Sir, that is battery trouble!

I'm amazed the thing worked at all after that, but I'll promise you it won't go much longer.

You'll be doing yourself a huge favor if you start using a Tender now, and especially after you get your NEW battery...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

(Psssst...Hey Red....I bought my bike 2 years ago, used and sight unseen. It went through one winter stored in a shed and the next in a barely heated garage. Over 10,000 miles later, it still has the same gel cell battery, and it's never seen a Battery Tender. Starts every time. Keep it under your hat...
)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: why do people have battery issues and use tenders>? (DesmoBob)

Me too!

bought a Duc new 5 years ago, gets ridden only at weekends, sits in the cold all winter (outside, so, minus 15-20celcius) not running for 3 months. Starts come spring without fail. Battery finally died after 4 1/2 years of being ignored!

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: why do people have battery issues and use tenders>? (chris900ssie)

Older dud had marginal charging systems typically based on lousy rectifier design. These had parasitic losses which discharged the battery. The newer 3 phase systems are very good. These rarely will run a battery down.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I had a feeling there were alot of people out there just following trends....."i do it because everyeon else does and says so".

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Regulator failures on Ducatis from overheating are a continuing problem so keeping your battery on a trickle-charger reduces the prolonged charging time needed to bring the battery back to full charge. If you ride every day there's no problem, but if the bike is left sitting for a week, any battery will discharge enough to stress the regulator and in particular, the stator wiring on the earlier single phase bikes. So I suggest that you do what everyone else does in this matter.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red900SS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I had a feeling there were alot of people out there just following trends....."i do it because everyeon else does and says so".</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well maybe now you will get the feeling that some of us just know better and that's why we do use battery tenders.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that makes sense Shazaam! Thanks for the clarification.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Nah, on second thought, you wouldn't want people to think you're just being "trendy". I suggest you continue to let your battery run dry periodically, and don't bother ever charging it.

I'm sure it'll be fine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (AZ Scott)

dude.......would you get a life and go the f* away already? You fly around various boards and bug the living sh*t out of people without helping any. Disappear already....damn.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red900SS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude.......would you get a life and go the f* away already? You fly around various boards and bug the living sh*t out of people without helping any. Disappear already....damn.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe I could help you, if you weren't so beyond help to begin with.

Screw you. Go ahead and keep posting stupid questions about basic shit, and then reject any kind of advice people give you.

Enjoy your life, moron.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: (AZ Scott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Screw you. Go ahead and keep posting stupid questions about basic shit......
Enjoy your life, moron.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly my point, thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Stop it - this is starting to look like Club Desmo...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Battery tenders are like chicken tenders, except they taste better . . . .

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: (Racer666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racer666 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stop it - this is starting to look like Club Desmo...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wheres Bruce?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts