Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know you guys think I'm smoking crack, but I was actually having this conversation with a buddy of mine last month.

Just food for thought.

Yes Mladin is a 6 time AMA champ. In 1999, 2000, he won the championship on a disadvantaged GSX-R750 against the RC51s until he ran the new one in 2001. But since 2003 Mladin has dominated AMA on Superior Machinery. But then again, after daytona in 2000, he said in the post race interview that "with no draft, he knew he had a faster bike" than Nicky Hayden's RC51. Which makes me wonder if there was a disadvantage at all.

Sooooo many people overlook Aaron Yates. Simply because he has not won a Superbike Championship.

Fact of the matter is that yes, Mat Mladin does have better Superbike Setup skillz. Probably the best in the paddock. But simply put, Aaron Yates can dominate the tougher classes.

Aaron Yates dominated 600SuperSport in 2001 (I think), 750SuperStock, and 1000SuperStock this past year. These are by far the tougher classes than superbike and the machinery for the most part is dead even. Also, keep in mind that Aaron is running against all the hungry young guns in these classes. Aaron Yates is almost a garanteed championship in the Support classes and that is why Suzuki keeps him around. Aaron Yates can run a bike into the ground that only requires minimal setup.

Now, you might be saying: "Oh, but if Mat Mladin was on a Superstock bike he would win the championship too".

I fondly remember in 2002 sometime that Mat Mladin ran Australian Superbike (BUt the bikes are similar to AMA Superstock) and placed 4th. He's familiar with the tracks over there. He knows the Gixxer1000, he spent some time on the bike setting it up, but still did not dominate.

I'm mainly posting this to get your views on this and to see if any of you support my theory that Aaron Yates is underrated and Overshadowed by Mladin and his 6 championships. I almost wish Aaron would win next year in Superbike so he can get the monkey off his back. If Aaron can win a Superbike championship, he'll be the first rider to win all support classes, 600; 750; and 1000; plus the Superbike championship.

Your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trussdude said:
Yates is an ass!
Are you referring to the Anthony Fania incident? Yeah, that was a new low for Aaron, but for the most part, he's a down to earth guy according to all my friends that met him. Much nicer than Mladin and Duhamel. LOL

One of my friends went to go introduce himself to Duhamel a couple of years ago and Duhamel looked at him and said: "Who the F are you?!" Then stormed away.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
This isn't what I expected. I thought you might say that Yates has a better flying drop kick, or that his headbutt technique is superior to Mat's. :D

I've always enjoyed watching Yates race, and obviously Suzuki places a pretty high value on him.

Turbo329 said:
Yes Mladin is a 6 time AMA champ.
Yeah, it's kinda hard to ignore that little fact! :woot:

Turbo329 said:
These are by far the tougher classes than superbike and the machinery for the most part is dead even. Also, keep in mind that Aaron is running against all the hungry young guns in these classes. Aaron Yates is almost a garanteed championship in the Support classes and that is why Suzuki keeps him around.
I disagree with this. The AMA is a mess right now because the factories have invaded every level of competition. There is no privateer class anymore, and Yates' bike is nothing like what the true privateers are running in those classes. When Yates runs a Supersport or Superstock race he is competing against a handful of other factory riders; it's essentially the same story as Superbike except the riders might not be of equal caliber.

Still, I'm glad to see that he'll be Mladin's teamate again next year. It's fun to watch him give Mat a run for his money on courses like Mid-Ohio. And his post victory celebrations are usually pretty sweet (remember Road America?), and the occasional lay-down-on-the-track-for-a-red-flag technique is always entertaining.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Baasinator said:
This isn't what I expected. I thought you might say that Yates has a better flying drop kick, or that his headbutt technique is superior to Mat's. :D

I've always enjoyed watching Yates race, and obviously Suzuki places a pretty high value on him.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to ignore that little fact! :woot:

I disagree with this. The AMA is a mess right now because the factories have invaded every level of competition. There is no privateer class anymore, and Yates' bike is nothing like what the true privateers are running in those classes. When Yates runs a Supersport or Superstock race he is competing against a handful of other factory riders; it's essentially the same story as Superbike except the riders might not be of equal caliber.

Still, I'm glad to see that he'll be Mladin's teamate again next year. It's fun to watch him give Mat a run for his money on courses like Mid-Ohio. And his post victory celebrations are usually pretty sweet (remember Road America?), and the occasional lay-down-on-the-track-for-a-red-flag technique is always entertaining.
You make valid points about the support classes, but keep in mind that when Yates won SuperSport in 2000 and SuperStock750, they were still pretty even with the Privateers.

The privateers aren't as slow as people think. Look at Mike Barnes at Daytona last year. Danny Eslick, also Stauffer who went back to Australia. hell, Haskovec won Daytona SuperStock this year, beating Yates. The bikes still look pretty even if you ask me. There's a lot of competent engine builders out there. Team Valvoline EMGO, KWS MotorSports, Erion, Lee's Performance. These guys aren't slow by any means.

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
Another painful thread.... I4 750's v. V2 1000's? How can that BE??? Why oh why? It just doesn't add up.... 1,000 > 750 and that just isn't fair!

What's next - why dogs are better than cats?

Why Freddie Spencer is better than Keith Code? OK, that's not even funny but you can see where this entire series of threads is going...

NOWHERE!:banghead

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
"Aaron Yates is underrated".....Dude warn us next time, I snorted wine all over my keyboard. :eek:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Plus Yates would look right at home in a double wide with a tip out while wearing a jelly stained wife beater and pounding long necks.:D

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Phil 998 said:
Plus Yates would look right at home in a double wide with a tip out while wearing a jelly stained wife beater and pounding long necks.:D
When I met him, he was polite, pleasant, and congenial. He's not an ugly guy either. Really, if you look at him side by side with his team mate, Mat, you'd sooner place Mat in the double wide.

Meeting him made it clear to me that good people can have some embarassing moments. I can think of a time or two that I'm certainly glad no one was filming me.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Phil 998 said:
Interesting concept.....however, he lives in a swankienda on Lake Sinclair complete with dock and various assortment of skiboats, jetskis and other adult toys. Somebody must have been paying him well all these past years. Even enough to afford acting lessons (laying down on the track during the middle of a race, kicking some poor kid's ass because of Aaron's poor judgment, making a scene at Mid-Ohio when his front tire came into contact with EBoz's rear spitting AY rudely off his bike and waving his arms wildly trying to get the attention of the paramedics cuz he got some bad roadrash in spite of having those pricy cowhides...poor boy).

·
Registered
831 Posts
Turbo329 said:
I know you guys think I'm smoking crack...
Sooooo many people overlook Aaron Yates. Simply because he has not won a Superbike Championship....Your thoughts!
I think you are smoking crack. :D What else defines "better" at that level? Coulda, woulda, shoulda, if only, maybe next year just doesn't cut it against a guy who's completely and utterly dominated AMA Superbike for years, in championships and the majority of all the races, even against Yates riding essentially the same bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Giannis said:
AMEN:D .........

Somebody's watched too many Whoopi Goldberg movies, or somethin' :woot:

talk about double-wides and jelly-stained wifebeaters......

fucker barely speaks english......:woot:

·
Registered
114 Posts
JeffKoch said:
I think you are smoking crack. :D What else defines "better" at that level? Coulda, woulda, shoulda, if only, maybe next year just doesn't cut it against a guy who's completely and utterly dominated AMA Superbike for years, in championships and the majority of all the races, even against Yates riding essentially the same bike.
Shit - no more worries about global warming - hell's going to start freezing over any minute; Jeff and I agree on something:clapper

·
Member #5686
997 Posts
Yates is a sore loser and has never impressed me with his riding.

I'm not a Mladin kissass, I don't like him much either. However winning is winning. Yates is being beaten in the championship by a relative superbike rookie in Ben Spies, as well as an underpowered Ducati rider Eric Bostrom. And by a huge margin I might add. Something like 100 points between Spies in 2nd and Yates in 4th isn't it?

Yates should have hung it up after embarassing himself beyond recovery @ Dayonta. After HE ran into the other rider :wacky

·
Registered
831 Posts
Buckelew said:
Shit - no more worries about global warming - hell's going to start freezing over any minute; Jeff and I agree on something:clapper
That is until someone starts a "Why George Bush is better than..." thread. :woot: :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
JD¹³ said:
Yates is a sore loser and has never impressed me with his riding.
Sore loser? Guess being the 2005 SuperStock Champion doesn't mean anything to you. :wacky

He's also won the 750 SuperStock Championship and the SuperSport Championship.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts