Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I found Rossi's autobiography book from 2005, on my bookshelf. The wife had won it at a local bike thing, and I forgot about it. Don;t usually enjoy autobiographies.

Anyway, I decided to skim through the book, looking for some info on his early years, when I got hooked on the book. I read the whole damn thing in one sitting,,,finished it at 2AM this morning. It really was a fun, interesting and FUNNY read! Well worth the time, for anyone who's interested to know what makes him tick.

He also mentions his racer idols.

1. Mike Hailwood....partly because he also rode the IOM.
2. Wayne Rainey!
3. Kevin Schwantz

That's it.....he mentions that Agostini and others were very successful, but these guys above where the racers he most wanted to ride with/learn from/try and beat...if had somehow had the opportunity.

Oh, and quite a lot of very interesting insights into his departure from Honda in '03, and his decision to join Yamaha. Very interesting stuff. He pulls no punches.

A great read...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Ordered it for $4 a couple months ago , but haven't looked at it yet . I'm sending a copy to Jami .

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's a fun book but the language is kind of broken and it is terribly repetitive. He says one thing and then repeats it twice in a different context. Me thinks he needed a better writer/interpreter.

·
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one thing I got from this book, was that Rossi learned at a very young age (late teens, early twenties) to surround himself with a good team. He spent as much time choosing his team as he did deciding which bike/manufacturer was technically the best for him.

This is a sign of a good manager....I guess you can consider a multiple World Champion to have to be a very good manager of his own career.(over and above the PR/Agent type mgmt that any professional needs these days).

The other thing was the relatively few differences between his bike and the other bikes, despite his being the "official" works bike. He spends some time on thsi topic, because it obviously bugged him that the Italian press would virtually accuse him of winning only because he had a "better" bike. He wanted to swap bikes with the others, to prove its not the bike. I think I know where my bet would be. :)

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
maybe i need to read this book. thanks for the insight on your read and the tip to give it a go
Mrgrn, before you dive into that one may I make a suggestion for some reading:

Amazon.com: Damage Control: How to Tiptoe Away from the Smoking…

Damage Control: How to Tiptoe Away from the Smoking Wreckage of your Latest Screw-Up with a Minimum of Harm to Your Reputation [Hardcover]

This one would probably be pretty helpful as well, it does appear that you have been trying!!
Amazon.com: Letting Go of Anger: The Eleven Most Common Anger Styles & What to Do About Them (9781572244481): Ronald T.…

·
Registered
525 Posts
Very interesting read but poorly written. The ghost writer should have done a better job editing and organizing the book. Unfortunately, the book made it very clear the affects of not graduating from high school. :eek:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
...That's it.....he mentions that Agostini and others were very successful, but these guys above where the racers he most wanted to ride with/learn from/try and beat...if had somehow had the opportunity...
You never like really idolize the one you can't beat. :cool: Saying Agonstini was successful is like saying Ferrari makes a nice car.

·
Subsonic Swine!
169 Posts
Does he mention Norifumi 'Norick' Abe in the book?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
You have to understand that in Italy Agostini is universally respected for his incredible achievements but he's not beloved and has never been. Rossi is just subscribing to universal sentiment.

But if you want to read something really postmodern you should look out for Dr Costa's autobiography. Back at the time Performance Bikes called it "the craziest thing to hit bookshelves since the Bible". They weren't too far off the mark.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
You have to understand that in Italy Agostini is universally respected for his incredible achievements but he's not beloved and has never been. Rossi is just subscribing to universal sentiment.

But if you want to read something really postmodern you should look out for Dr Costa's autobiography. Back at the time Performance Bikes called it "the craziest thing to hit bookshelves since the Bible". They weren't too far off the mark.
Yup but Ago's lack of higher respect is more a product of the level of media attention in his day compared to the level of access we have today, not his accomlpishments; also the huddled masses/leg humpers aren't for the most part students of history; heck most MGP fans today have no idea who Mick Doohan is let alone Ago. Imagine a rider of that calibre winning multiple titles in MGP, WSC and IOMTT today, then winning as a team leader; sadly it ain't going to happen...:eek:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Yup but Ago's lack of higher respect is more a product of the level of media attention in his day compared to the level of access we have today, not his accomlpishments; also the huddled masses/leg humpers aren't for the most part students of history; heck most MGP fans today have no idea who Mick Doohan is let alone Ago. Imagine a rider of that calibre winning multiple titles in MGP, WSC and IOMTT today, then winning as a team leader; sadly it ain't going to happen...:eek:
It's much deeper than media coverage. I won't delve into it but trust there are good reasons why Jarno Saarinen is still much more beloved than Ago.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
It's much deeper than media coverage. I won't delve into it but trust there are good reasons why Jarno Saarinen is still much more beloved than Ago.
Well that's hardly convincing. :rolleyes: :cool: Trust me Ago is a riding god and TBH Italy or the world for that matter could disown him as a hack and it wouldn't change my opinion of him. I rarely go with the mass opinion since that is what leads to lemmings going over the cliff; I prefer to make my own judgements.

·
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very interesting read but poorly written. The ghost writer should have done a better job editing and organizing the book. Unfortunately, the book made it very clear the affects of not graduating from high school. :eek:
I didn't read the book for its editing or prose...so glossed over what was unimportant or uninteresting to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the content, however. Different strokes.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts