Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm.... tires slipping again... this isn't good.... don't chop the throttle... bring it back in.... d'oh.... tankslapper... sure hope I don't highside... hmm... bike looks interesting from here.... Uh-oh.. this isn't gonna end well...

Huh? What? Today? Umm... yah... uhh.. I'm ok, I think. I seem to be a little disoriented though, but other than that, I think i'm ok...

What's that? Ride my bike back to the pits? Sure... I'll five that a try....

So goes my nasty wreck at the track experience. I was on the LAST lap of the session, and had even backed off a bit, since it WAS the last one. Next thing I know the back end was WAYYY out and I was trying to bring it back in. Needless to say, It didn't go so well. I ended up almost hi-siding, but holding on long enough to get thrown BACK onto the low side. Got knocked out at that point, I think b/c the next thing I knew, I was standing there talking to the ambulance guys trying to get the helmet off. I got cleared to ride my bike to the pit, sans brake lever. SOMEHOW I made it back to my pit, but I have NO recollection of the ride.

My NEXT memory was getting alcohol poured onto my shoulder by the nice woman at the ambulance at the base of the tower, while answering AMAZINGLY hard questions such as "what's today" and "What's your name". Funny how hard those are to answer correctly. I can tell ya "Blue" is not the answer to EITHER one..... After they gave me the OK (WHAT!?!??!) I went back to the pits... well... more like was led back by my buddy who went with me. I had NO clue where I was, or how to navigate the ONE row of it. She asked, "are you Ok?" ... "Honestly, no. I don't know who anyone is...."

Sadly, people kept coming up to me to talk about the wreck, and I had NO idea who anyone I met that day was. Sorry people, I was a little out of it there. Well we make it back to the bike, and I amazingly manage to get in the way a lot of other people loading it for me, and eventually wandered the pits till someone took me back to the truck *remember, I'm "OK" though....* We eventually left the track, with no help from me in getting anything done, and I finally started to remember stuff... not what had happened, but at least what WAS happening.... Got my bell rung really well I suppose.

Anyhow, all in all, the cause I think was me and the tires. I had gotten down to 1:21's consistently on street rubber at Putnam, and was passing a good part of the advanced field. Several of the other guys had said I really needed some race rubber, but with none on hand, Pilot Powers were as good as it got for me. Total damage was my right boot has a hole in it, both my gloves are beat to crap, and my Arai has some nasty scuffs and the side pieces are broke. I got some rash on my shoulder from the INSIDE of the suit, so that kinda sucked. I am quite sore, and hatin' it at the moment. My bike has some rash on the race body, but the rearsets and sliders really worked out well. All I need to get back on the road is a brake lever, so the bike made it out ok.....

Had a LOT of fun at my second track weekend ever, and have progressed nicely with my skills. I had been doing well all weekend, and had managed several controlled slides, and had been trying to dial it all in. Sadly, I think there may have been something on the track that time out, b/c that was the FIRST time today I hadn't slid the rear at all (dropped 2 lbs of pressure and dialed in one click of compression) and it just left me that time. Oh well.... I'll be ready for Barber in July!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Congrats on the trackday, sorry about your spill.
Just do us all a favor and don't sleep tonight. Also if you start getting nauseus call the doctor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a confusing but fun time at the same time, before the time you hit the ground.

What kind of rearsets are you using? They sound bulletproof.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (theman1990)

Hmm sounds familiar! I highsided my supersport tuned CBR6 a few years back. The marshal said I was doing close to 90mph when I lost it. No memories of the event though, I remember being at the circuit but thats it. My team mate found me in the hospital a few hours later where I insisted I was a bowl of fruit.

After an overnight stay, a brain scan and a plaster cast on my broken left ankle more fun breaks out. My buddy doesnt drive, so I have to! Takes about 5 hours to drive the truck home with the broken ankle. I dont remember anything about it at all!

Like apfelbaum says. If you dont feel well then go straight to hospital! The brain is a confusing and complicating thing. Although to meet some people you would never guess it!

Hope you feel better soon and get back out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude your second trackday you said? and "had managed several controlled slides"????? That's what happens.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope your head recovers soon...

Sounds like a wild ride and a decent save froma high side.
Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love it when all you hear after a wreck, and a good hit on the old KNOT is a ringing and seeing stars! It's happened to me to many times! DOH!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah.... it sucked... Vertigo is even LESS fun right now...

Oh, and for the flamers.... This was my second track weekend, and yah that means I don't have oodles of track time. However, I DO have LOTS of bike experience, and was running in the advanced class, and having no problems except for the straightaways and a lack of power. Anyhow, so yes, while I am not Ricky Racer, I DO know how to manage a slide.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah dude keep up the slides and next time you may not be so lucky. I've seen people like you on the track....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (andres)

that sucks daniel, i hope you recover soon! remeber you have a country to defend!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
People like me? Not following ya there big guy.... Do you mean people who go into corners, slide, keep it under control, then attempt to correct their suspsension and riding style so as it doesn't happen again? Then yah I guess ya've seen me or people like me...

Jiujitsu! Yah dude... I definitely need to stay in tip top shape so i continue to fly. I need better tires, too, something that is more up to speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
theman1990: Damn glad to hear you're alright. Head injuries are no joke, and I know all too well. When I was on Active Duty, I passed out due to heat and jp8 fumes. Which wouldnt been as bad.... If my head didnt connect with the L Outboard Rocket Pod Sway Brace on an AH-1 Cobra.( 3/4" x 1" x 5" steel bar). Cracked my skull, peeled part of my scalp back, and had my head rinning and throbbing for a week. According to the Medic I was "strangely coherent" for someone with a concussion that bad. LOL.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey! That's how I Feel now...l plus dizziness... I STILL can't believe I managed to ride the bike back into the pits!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I have had three concussions and felt physically fine after such on all of them but mentally I think it has taken a toll. I am only 24 and my memory sucks bad. I cannot pronouce words or speak as clearly as I used to. Also migraines have started. I would really really consider goind to see a doc. Somethings a concussion does you will never recover from if they go untreated. Mens health magazine just did a big article on cuncussions I would really consider reading if I were you. I think it should be online but if not its the july/august issue p190.

Its really nothing to play around with. Good luck and let us know how you come out. What ever you do take it easy for at least two weeks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice... I come from a "medical" family, and that's the general consensus. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do for it now, except rest, so time be the factor here. Thanks again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Why the hell did they clear you to ride back to the pits with no brake lever and questionable health?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
THat's a good question. I guess I was making good sense while talking. I don't really remember, though. My friend said I seemed fine, except I kept telling her Ididn;t know who anyone was, and i kept asking the same questions over and over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts