Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this be resolved? I have an 01 900ssie...emissions equip removed, crankcase filter element installed. When I shut down the motor, 97% of the time I hear a 'whine' sound when the engine is shut down. I have taken the filter element off and the sound continues upon shutdown. I know it's air escaping from the crankcase. I'm guessing it's some type of harmonic sound that's developed from the plastic neck out of the crankcase.

I'm just getting tired of hearing the dead chicken sound.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Whine from crankcase upon engine shutdown. (bstevenson8)

Maybe it's air passing through the reed valve in your crankcase breather.....?

Or...... maybe there's a chicken stuck in your fairing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or maybe you have the experimental turbine model that wasn't supposed to be released from the factory...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (Rooster)

Or maybe it's the fuel tank equalizing pressure

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I get the same thing from my 748. It freaked me out in the beginning, but with no signs of a problem I just live with it.

For thr record, I removed my crankcase breather and put the K&N unit on, so I guess that's not it since it still does it.

And I have checked for chickens in the fairing, but I haven't found any ....... yet.

Jason, I can't tell if your post is saying that you actually know that's what it is, or you are making a educated guess?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (section8superbike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or maybe it's the fuel tank equalizing pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the same noise situation on the 748, like section 8 mentioned, its the pressure from the gas tank, when you hear the whine open your gas cap.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Whine from crankcase upon engine shutdown. (JamesP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JamesP »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Jason, I can't tell if your post is saying that you actually know that's what it is, or you are making a educated guess?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Educated guess

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Whine from crankcase upon engine shutdown. (section8superbike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Educated guess
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you charge extra for those?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Whine from crankcase upon engine shutdown. (JamesP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JamesP »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you charge extra for those?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, a bit more than a regular guess

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

It is air escaping from the reed valve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts