Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetical question...Please answer using the info given. Money or maintenance are not a factor:

Which would "you" be quicker on the track, Not Nicky Hayden, Not the Local Pro...YOU. Ummm if you are Nicky Hayden and you are here on New Years Eve...Can I have some swag???

Honda CBR 1000 RR...mag wheels, Ohlins suspension, power shifter, rear sets, sharkskinz, slipper clutch etc...full race prep. 165rhp

Ducati 999R same as above but with Hi-compression pistons/engine work and lightned about 20lbs with 160rhp

Does the torque down low of the Ducati help us mere mortals get off the corner?

Does the added HP and free reving nature of the RR make up for it on the straight?

Does Ducati's impressive handling let you carry more speed in the corners?

Does the race-prep even the field for the Honda in the handling dept?

I don't want this to be a brand loyalty discussion, but a true idea of what you think

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Which would you be quicker on? (hearing8)

Oh come on, you know all that matters is which one you will "look" faster on

And the color choices

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Which would you be quicker on? (section8superbike)

You would be a good person to answer this question. What do you really think?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hearing8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You would be a good person to answer this question. What do you really think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have my 999S.....R whatever you want to call it. 150+hp, 375lbs, Ohlins everything, bla, bla, bla

I also have my GSXR1000. 150+hp, 375lbs, Ohlins everything, bla, bla, bla

I have a lot more seat time on the GSXR because it's the bike we use to endurance race, I ride it at track days a lot so I don't beat the Duck down and I have the added benifit of not giving a flying F%$# if I crash it, it blows up, etc.

I always go faster on the Duck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Which would you be quicker on? (section8superbike)

I wonder why?

I think for a moron like me the Ducati will get off the corner better and give me better lap times. It would be cool to have both and be able to "A" - "B" them and see which is more to my style of riding (or crashing
)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I think the biggest advantage of the Duck is the traction. I hardly ever spin it up on the Duck, which for a begginer will make a big difference. The other advantage I find is the feedback. The stock Duck suspension (I'm talking R here) is lightyears ahead of the Jap stuff. Of course throwing all the money at the Jap bike will produce the same result. And thirdly the chassis is so adjustable on the Duck you can get it dialed right in. For comparisons sake if I want to run "real" geometry numbers with my GSXR I need offset triples and a kit swingarm.

But I will not blow smoke up you ass either, all bikes are good! I'm splitting hairs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hearing8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hypothetical question...Please answer using the info given. Money or maintenance are not a factor:

Which would "you" be quicker on the track, Not Nicky Hayden, Not the Local Pro...YOU. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're not Nicky, Miguel or Ben.. or the local hero: You'll go faster on a stock 600. Pick any of the Big 4.

Traction will be your #1 issue, as Jason points out. Riding a 1K is an artform, no matter who makes it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Which would you be quicker on? (900CR)

Have to agree with 900CR, you would be faster on any 600.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I can relate to AZ's comment. For example, I ran around on my '99 Gixxer750 bike at Texas World Speedway. Had a blast. Ran pretty good. Then jumped on my buddies Duck. I feel like I'm going a little slower, yet my lap times are SO close to what I was running on my bike. Weird. Pisses me off. Duck for sure.

Now, do think that race prepping the 1000RR suspension will level the playing field a TON. Yes I do. The same? Who knows... but very close for sure.

Regardless of your question, it's still very hard for me and others to break away from the thought process of "why spend the cash on a Duck when you can get a bike that is so close to a Duck?".

If you're willing to take the plunge and take a chance on crashing + parts costs + longevity, go for it. I've always said that when I stop racing and just do track days I'm buyin' a Ducati! Whether or not I'll follow my own mantra is still up in the air.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Which would you be quicker on? (Tripod-R)

I think I would go faster on a super motard. At a recent track day where I crunched my R1 I went out for a few sessions on my mates DR-Z 400 Motard. I hadn't ridden it before and I got within 5 seconds of my lap times on the R1. My mate was lapping faster than I was on the R1 when he was riding. Having grown up riding dirt bikes and getting the pegs scraping through corners on knobbies I felt at home straight away. I was having a ball surprising sports bike riders as I out braked them, overtook them round the outside and the inside. A few more laps and I would have been going faster than I was with the R1. The R1 you really have to work hard around the track, where as the Dr-Z was just plain fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Which would you be quicker on? (Bucko)

Bucko said:
I think I would go faster on a super motard. At a recent track day where I crunched my R1 I went out for a few sessions on my mates DR-Z 400 Motard. I hadn't ridden it before and I got within 5 seconds of my lap times on the R1. QUOTE]

not quite sure what that says about ya on the R1
...but 5 secs at least i bet....and we all know what 5+ secs means- a long ass time

man take a rib will ya

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Mortals are faster on twins.

You'll be faster on a 4cyl if you can keep it pegged to 10,000rpm comming out of the apex. Most guys can't. Torque is the average man's friend. Linear power delivery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Which would you be quicker on? (Rocket51)

I would say the Duck. It's easier to ride by design. V-Twins are much more forgiving at putting the power down and, when you include the top-rate suspension and chassis, this makes the 999R a very sweet choice. A good bargain alternative is a Honda RC51 with aftermarket bits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Which would you be quicker on? (Mashuri)

I'd have to go for the Honda, I'd be less aprehensive about crashing it, as replacement parts are gonna be cheaper than the duc. Less worried about crashing = faster, at least in my book. If your world isn't as financially limited as mine, go which one gives you the bigger hard-on. With enough seat time, & tweaking you'll get plenty fast on either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which one are you more comfortable on? You might be faster for one or two laps on one bike but the one you're more comfortable on will allow you to go faster consistently and continue improving instead of fighting the bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (quikie)

Don't have a 999R but a 999. Also a 1000RR. I'm faster on the RR. I've never been on a bike making fast so easy. That said, I enjoy and have more fun on the 999 Riding to me is more than getting from A to B as fast as possible, everytime.

Each bike at the same location... South Park, Colorado:

999 Mt. Guyot
1000RR Mt. Guyot

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (sfarson)

First off- it kind of depends on the track, doesn't it? The truth is that 95% of the people on this board would be faster on a supersport prepped SV 650 on most tracks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (999)

To tell you the truth, they'd probably be a bit much for me to use up to their abilities. I'd have to go with the Ducati then, because it'd probably be easier to ride. From what I hear the power output is not as nuts as the hon. Either way, to start they'd both be better on the track than I could utilize.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 999 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off- it kind of depends on the track, doesn't it? The truth is that 95% of the people on this board would be faster on a supersport prepped SV 650 on most tracks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah... if you like holding a bike WFO all the time
i think your percentage is a bit high... more like 50%.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts