Votes: 50 72.5%
  • 2006 749S in either red or black brandnew

Votes: 19 27.5%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you buy a brandnew 2006 749S in black or red OR a 2002 998S Bayliss with 1,700 miles and a small scuff on the lower right fairing. With some negotiating, as of right now, the Bayliss is $1000 cheaper, but the Bayliss price should go down more.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bayliss!! i see you got the 04 749 already. my :twocents is i just like the 998 more than the 749. though whichever you choose i think they're both good. :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
is it a real bayliss or one of those shallow sump std cam things? it'll still go way harder than the overcammed 749s tho. while they'll both depreciate, i'd see the 749 being worth less in the future because it's just a 749.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I too would go with the bayliss and remove the plastics buy some sharkskinz(lighter too) and have it painted.:woot:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The big problem with getting the Bayliss is the insurance. It would cost twice as much to insure over the 749.

I would remove the "plastic" and put Skinz on it. The "plastic" is carbon though.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
No Question Bayliss Replica and now that it looks he will retire his racing carrier from Ducati (after he wins the WSBK next year:D ) Plus the Bayliss will go up in price in the next years like any other special bike from Ducati. Just do a search on Special F1s,916SPS.. 888SPs etc..;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
It all depends on what you intend to do with the bike. If you want to stare at it and impress your friends, get the Bayliss.

If you want to ride it, get a 999. The 749 is really a tough one to recommend, and you'd be better off with a bike from the Big 4 in that category.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Giannis said:
i dint know a 998 bayliss is a slow bike...:D
The K5 is a fast bike, the CBR 1K is a fast bike and the ZX-10R is a fast bike... and they handle like nobody's business.

The Bayliss runs an 11-year old chassis and suspension components married with a decidedly anemic L-twin. Great looking bike and a blast on the street, but nothing I'd want to 'ride'. Been there, done that. :D

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Well he asking about buying a Ducati and not any SBK.. strange but i have seens guys on the texas Ducati trackdays with 998 and 996s to go as fast or faster than Doug Polen on a 999;) Might be the rider maybe?

·
Registered
81 Posts
900CR said:
The K5 is a fast bike, the CBR 1K is a fast bike and the ZX-10R is a fast bike... and they handle like nobody's business.

The Bayliss runs an 11-year old chassis and suspension components married with a decidedly anemic L-twin. Great looking bike and a blast on the street, but nothing I'd want to 'ride'. Been there, done that. :D
If this is your only bike i say go with the new one. Not many Duc owners can really wring out all 140+ hp anyway (possibly you're an exception)...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Giannis said:
Well he asking about buying a Ducati and not any SBK.. strange but i have seens guys on the texas Ducati trackdays with 998 and 996s to go as fast or faster than Doug Polen on a 999;) Might be the rider maybe?
Faster than Polen? He wasn't trying... Guaranteed. :notworthy

I was going faster tham Doug Chandler last weekend... he as working with students. Don't think for a second that anyone who went around him thinks that they actually 'accomplished' something other than a clean pass. Chandler and Polen can unleash a serious beatdown whenever they wish.

Don't think for a second that the old chassis has anything on the 999. There's no comparison... the Bayliss is a pig in comparison.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
900CR said:
Faster than Polen? He wasn't trying... Guaranteed. :notworthy

I was going faster tham Doug Chandler last weekend... he as working with students. Don't think for a second that anyone who went around him thinks that they actually 'accomplished' something other than a clean pass. Chandler and Polen can unleash a serious beatdown whenever they wish.

Don't think for a second that the old chassis has anything on the 999. There's no comparison... the Bayliss is a pig in comparison.
How about a crazy train with this guy (998 rider, i cant think his name but ill find tomorrow at work)) Jeff Nash and Doug Polen.. Lap times 1:18 to 1:20 with DOT tires lap after lap..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Giannis said:
How about a crazy train with this guy (998 rider, i cant think his name but ill find tomorrow at work)) Jeff Nash and Doug Polen.. Lap times 1:18 to 1:20 with DOT tires lap after lap..
Sounds like fun! :rockon Were you riding?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I definitely intend on riding the thing. I'll be trading my 2001 900SS with 16,200+ miles on it in for whatever we happen to come home with. I did 11 trackdays this year and not as much street, but I think that was a fluke. In the future, I believe there will be more street than track riding, just due to time availability.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts