Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice from the knowledgeable lot that you are.
I am currently looking for a video camera to fit my BMW R1200RT.
I am a photographic ignoramus so I need something easy to operate and giving at least decent quality video. Sound is not really needed but a welcome bonus. Ruggedness and optical stabilization would be paramount (the only thing I know is that an optical stabilizer is much better than a digital one).
Fitting to bike is no problem since ram mount has a bracket fitting right over the RT clutch master cylinder.
Any advice is more than welcome. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am using the Go-Pro HD, more than happy with it. It is wide angle and I am using the 720p mode at 60FPS. it does 1080p as well but not in wide angle so I'd rather use the 720 mode (with bonus of 60 FPS).

Image quality is really great for such a little camera, but there ain't much you can adjust on it...

Here is a video I took last Friday with it :

YouTube - Calabogie August 20th 2010

No comment on my body position :) I know I got some work to do...

Alexis.

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody for your kind replies.
I have looked at both the Gopro and the Contour cameras (most online shops carry them both) and they look like nice products indeed.
The Gopro has less settings which would greatly help an electronically illiterate like myself.
Looks like I'll have some further shopping to do... :)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
go-pro has the better sound. THe big con is the mountings for it when it comes to motorcycles. It really limits what you can do because of the square frontal shape of it. Obviously there are plenty ways to mount it that wont be hampered by its shape. It would be nice to be able to put it anywhere and not worry about that. One big plus is that it comes splash proof out of the box.

ContourHD has the better video but not so much better to make the difference on decisions. But the hardware as far as mounting and streamline does make the difference IMO. The shape of it allows for it to be more stable with high winds and the shape also allows for way better mounting options. I also think the rig itself is easier to work with. I love the big slide to turn it on, and the removable battery that allows for multiple batteries on hand so you don't have to stop and recharge. The only downs are that the Contour doesnt come splash proof out of the box, you have to buy that separately (not a deal breaker for me at all) and THE SOUND SUCKS! but i was able to make it better by putting a little tape over mike to buffer the noise better....it helped.

they both do 1080p and slow motion 60fps at 720p and they both provide infinite mounting systems.

Go-Pro GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

ContouHD ContourHD Helmet Cam and new ContourHD1080p Helmet Camera Features

·
Can Afford To Be Critical
1,852 Posts
From what I've seen, the Go Pro is an excellent choice which won't cost an arm and a leg. :twocents

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again. As soon as shopping is finished I'll let you know the results. ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just got a GoPro HD for christmas this year. Has anyone had any experience with the suction cup mount? I'm a little hesitant about trying it out on the outside. Ive stuck it to the sunroof of my car and it held fine, but.... i don't want to watch it go tumbling down the road in my mirrors

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
I've used it on the tank of my bike at the track and it sticks well...just try to get it off without releasing the pressure and you'll see what I mean.
But I also tie a safety strap to it with some "stretchy cord" just to be sure and to pass tech.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final update.
Went for a Drift X170 SD version.
Very pleased so far.
I have a Ram Mount for the BMW which works like a treat but I still have to think about how to fit it to the SP2.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've used it on the tank of my bike at the track and it sticks well...just try to get it off without releasing the pressure and you'll see what I mean.
But I also tie a safety strap to it with some "stretchy cord" just to be sure and to pass tech.
Yeah, i know how strong is it, i managed to rip the white board partially off the wall in class today with it.. oops. But still just skeptical about it, and nice to hear from someone who has used it first hand. This wouldn't be on a track, right now it would be stuck onto my car most likely as i don't have my bike out here. Thanks for the reassuring note on it though, makes me more willing to try it out

·
Ride Naked!
503 Posts
get a couple of these SPY CAM Camera Key Chain Cam DVR HD Video USA Seller - eBay (item 230513979721 end time Aug-23-10 09:54:08 PDT)
i've got a couple of the non hd ones and its actually pretty good. stick it anyplace in the bike with some velcro. this vid was the first time i used it stuck on my swingarm. it made the vid a little shaky because of the bouncing but when mounted elsewhere on the bike its real smooth
theres a long thread on wera forum with some links to some upgrades and mods
I just ordered 3 of these today...been looking the bike over trying to figure out some good angles lol.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I'll bet 10% of all racebikes have a camera mounted somewhere these days. Of those, probably 40% are Go Pros....they're everywhere!

·
Registered
460 Posts
a word of caution

... do not try to use a sticky mount on rattle canned track skins...
(it was a borrowed GoPro)(flew off on T-13 at Barber)(survived the fall, but not getting run over)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
... do not try to use a sticky mount on rattle canned track skins...
(it was a borrowed GoPro)(flew off on T-13 at Barber)(survived the fall, but not getting run over)
I'm paranoid about that also. I seldom video, but use a solid tank mount when I do. I think a tether needs to be used for the suction cup, but most do not use any.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
get a couple of these SPY CAM Camera Key Chain Cam DVR HD Video USA Seller - eBay (item 230513979721 end time Aug-23-10 09:54:08 PDT)
i've got a couple of the non hd ones and its actually pretty good. stick it anyplace in the bike with some velcro. this vid was the first time i used it stuck on my swingarm. it made the vid a little shaky because of the bouncing but when mounted elsewhere on the bike its real smooth
theres a long thread on wera forum with some links to some upgrades and mods

Yeah I heard about these. Not bad for $10. I thought about picking up a few of these myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts