Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Ducati 748/916

Votes: 25 35.2%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most who are in their 30s were likely heavily into Sport bikes in the '90s. Which is your favorite? Also you can share an experience that stands out in your mind.

Honorable mentions go out to:

YZF-R6 - Late 90s
TL1000S/R - Late 90s
ZX-6R - 90s era
Ducati 851/888

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
My "favorite" is one I have never owned, 1993 Ducati 888 SPO. I have something close though, '90 851.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
ZX-6R (wish I could vote for it)

While I have always lusted for a ZX-7R (RR), I raced the ZX-6R and may have purchased the first one to arrive in Virginia in 1995 after the earthquake in Kobe (remember that?)

The bike was awesome, especially at the track. Everyone else was on Honda F3's. I put a pipe and jet kit on the bike, ran DoT's, and after I got my bearings racing, the bike was kicking butt at the track, stock body work and all. I am also proud to say that I got within 1 second of the track record for Summit Point (held then by a 750) on that bike with that setup, including me taking one corner in the wrong gear!

I never, never, never should have sold that bike. I ended up converting it to a Superbike just for the challenge of running against 750's. Flat slides, quick shifter, Marchesini wheels, slicks, Brembo Goldline front calipers, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech fork internals. The 750's would pull me on the straights, but I'd more than make up for it (usually) under braking and with superior cornering.

I have to admint though...the 998R stole my heart.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
98 R1 and ZX-9R were always faves of mine, quite liked the TL1000S too, of course, the entire 916 family is also a winner.....

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ZX-6R (wish I could vote for it)

While I have always lusted for a ZX-7R (RR), I raced the ZX-6R and may have purchased the first one to arrive in Virginia in 1995 after the earthquake in Kobe (remember that?)

The bike was awesome, especially at the track. Everyone else was on Honda F3's. I put a pipe and jet kit on the bike, ran DoT's, and after I got my bearings racing, the bike was kicking butt at the track, stock body work and all. I am also proud to say that I got within 1 second of the track record for Summit Point (held then by a 750) on that bike with that setup, including me taking one corner in the wrong gear!

I never, never, never should have sold that bike. I ended up converting it to a Superbike just for the challenge of running against 750's. Flat slides, quick shifter, Marchesini wheels, slicks, Brembo Goldline front calipers, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech fork internals. The 750's would pull me on the straights, but I'd more than make up for it (usually) under braking and with superior cornering.

I have to admint though...the 998R stole my heart.
That's a cool story.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
CBR900RR hands down . Open power/mid weight . Industry changer . Historically significant .:rockon Should've bought one new but I was into old cafes at the time ... still am .

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm torn between the ZX-9R and the ZX-7R.

Wasn't the ZX-9 the first production bike to run a 10sec quarter mile and the first production motorcycle to go over 150mph?

And then the ZX-7R just had the racing heritage.

I think the SRAD 750 started the new 'small bike movement'.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
CBR900RR hands down . Open power/mid weight . Industry changer . Historically significant .:rockon Should've bought one new but I was into old cafes at the time ... still am .
I remember seeing one (and sitting on it) for the first time when they were first released, I jumped on it the next day, didn't even "shop" it, it was one of those bikes you HAD to own. The first day I rode it I had a motor cop pull me over just to ask me about it (and sit on it) That bike was a quantum leap over the FZR1000 I was on prior to it. Ended up owning 3 of 'em, but I never had the "urban tiger" paint job that was Euro only, still lookin'.

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Suzuki Gamma. Mostly because:
1)I owned one
2)it was relatively cheap and easy to fix, though Suzuki took its time when ordering spares. ;)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Cbr

CBR-900RR, I was stationed at Schofield Barracks. Came home on leave and bought me a the black and silver one. 16 inch wheel was a bit nervous, but I loved the hell out of it. Traded it in on my 2000 RC-51.:twocents

·
Registered
92 Posts
I always have and always will love the 888, however I can't deny that i also loved my 94 F2, it was sporty, yet comfortable, reliable, got 45 MPG commuting to work with it not to mention that with a yoshi pipe and sprocket change it would out pull my friends 2002 F4i up to 95 mph:rockon

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Can you only put 10 items on a poll?

There are others that could be added if more than 10 are possible.
Ducati 851/888
Bimota SB6/SB6R
Bimota Tesi
Moto Guzzi Daytona
CBR1100XX Blackbird
RC45 (I know, I know)
YZF750
Triumph Super 3

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you only put 10 items on a poll?

There are others that could be added if more than 10 are possible.
Ducati 851/888
Bimota SB6/SB6R
Bimota Tesi
Moto Guzzi Daytona
CBR1100XX Blackbird
RC45 (I know, I know)
YZF750
Triumph Super 3
Unfortunately, the poll is limited to 10 choices.

·
Registered
176 Posts
To be honest all of the selections are awesome bikes that I wouldn't kick out of the garage. With that being said, I'm all about the 888. :notworthy

·
virtually real
143 Posts
Had to vote for the CBR600F3 cos it's the only one I've owned :) and it really is a great little bike, very user-friendly, plenty comfortable, and never feels slow. Also the most reliable vehicle, two-wheeled or four, I've ever owned.

Apart from that, NSR250, and '99-up 900SS

1 - 20 of 57 Posts