Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Captain Obvious
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RC51 newbie here.
I just noticed that when the fan motors come on, they pull air in thru side radiators, into the center of the bike.
I would have thought that I would feel hot air being blown out through the radiators on each side of the bike.

Seems counter-intuative to me... Is this the way it's supposed to work?

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
Think about it like this the air is cooler outside of the bike rather than the 233* under that fairing. Your car fans draw air from outside also. But on the bike in motion the side ventse create a low pressure zone which makes it possible for this disrupted air to be sucked into the radiator via that fan. Forward motion then forces the air over the entire engine. This is much needed to cool the V twin. Think your nuts are hot now change the polarity on those fans as a test. You'll be sterile. You can do this to one fan. It might work but then again the engineers did do a lil research.

·
Registered
382 Posts
There is, however, a school of thought that holds that the fans actually rotate the wrong direction-that they are actually impedeing the flow of air through the radiators. I asked Dan Kyle about my '04 running hot at the track, and the first thing he suggested was to reverse the polarity of the fans. I did, and the coolant temps were lower at the track this past weekend. It's something to consider, anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts