Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice, of the three bikes which one should I get?

Here are the details, I mainly plan on weekend blasting, an occational commute to work, and an occational trip to the great smokies Mnt.(250+ miles oneway)

Its been about 12 years since I've been on a sport bike, Baby Ninja, so I'm kinda a novice.

What other factors should I be considering?

Lastly, I reside in Birmingham, Alabama - this means I get about 10+ months of good riding weather and about 4 months of insanely hot weather.

Thank you for the advice...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMHO, the Supersport bikes are really hard to beat for real-world riding. Unless you're doing trackdays or are truly inspiried by the Superbikes, I would not hesitate to recommend an SS.

-Cheaper maintenance
-Air cooled
-Lotsa torque with that 1000DS
-2V's sound better (IMHO)

Wrenching on the 2V's is so much more straightforward, and they are wonderful bikes. Don't get me wrong, I love my Superbikes too, but they realistically don't make as good a machine for real-world riding or long distances as the SS line does. Properly set-up, the SS will easily hang with the Superbikes in any backroad carving.

They're (SS) quite capable track machines as well, many folks have set them up as dedicated Club Racing machines. Great bikes all around.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Which Bike to get - 749 / 749s or 1000ss (Rick Briggs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rick Briggs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lastly, I reside in Birmingham, Alabama - this means I get about 10+ months of good riding weather and about 4 months of insanely hot weather.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!! What calendar do you use in Alabama where you have 14+ months?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Which Bike to get - 749 / 749s or 1000ss (Nick D.)

That's funny
I was not considering adding the two as a total - just over-all. Things are slower in the south, so it does feel like 14 months.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Mark hit the nail on the head. i have both a 2 and 4 valve and find myself ridingthe supersport more.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Which Bike to get - 749 / 749s or 1000ss (mortoduc)

Another vote for an SS.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Which Bike to get - 749 / 749s or 1000ss (Dave)

I always think the "which bike should I get" questions are funny. Everyone has their own opinion, and what is preferable to one person may not be for another. I have never ridden a 749, but I do love my SS for anything but city work. Any time I am in the stop-and-go or maniacal Boston-type traffic flow I regreat the extreme riding position. The Monsters are hard to beat as a great all-rounder if that is an option for you. Lots of aftermarket support for the Monsters where there is almost none for the SS.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Which Bike to get - 749 / 749s or 1000ss (Nick D.)

Actually, I kinda thought that the "Which Bike to get" was kinda lame, but sometimes you never know what you might find out?

I have sat on both bikes and the SS does seem to have a little more comfortable seat, and the riders position seems to be about the same on both.

Each has something very ascetically pleasing, 749 the exhaust is clean and sharp, and the SS side profile, just has a fluid appearance. and so on.

My question is, " after I got it home this is what I like / don't like" and only you, the riders / owners know these things. Me being a show room Jockey can only speculate.

Your input is great!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I currently have the 749 (2004). I have previously owned a 900ss i.e. and have ridden a 1000ds.
The supersports are cheaper to maintain and run, and have a better fuel range. I have toured 2500 miles on my 900 which did not miss a beat. My friend has one currently and there is little between the 2 bikes on the road. The supersport has greater punch out of the corners, and should you wish carries pillion better, although not so soft luggage. Excellent tank range, despite only 17 litres (i achieved 189 miles to reserve on one occasion, typically 140-150.
The 749 needs revving more to work but is smoother with better brakes and a steady line. It is also more modern and feels lower. Tank range is poor, 80-100 miles to reserve
I personally prefer the comfort and smoothness of the 749.

Top speed is really academic for the road. 140 (900) 155 (749)
I suggest you find a good dealer and ride both back to back. I did!
As for me though I am seriously considering the Multistrada which as legend has it does everything almost perfectly...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts