Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where Will Biaggi Land Next Season?

Now that HRC have announced that Pedrosa will have a ride with the Factory team next year, where will Max end up?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Where Will Biaggi Land Next Season? (bsess)

I'm sorry.....

I was looking for the "He'll cry like a bitch with a skinned knee." selection, and failed to see it.....................

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Where Will Biaggi Land Next Season? (Rigor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rigor »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sorry.....

I was looking for the "He'll cry like a bitch with a skinned knee." selection, and failed to see it.....................
</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I honestly don't think that he wil be in MotoGP next year. In the brutal world of motorcycle racing, you either move up or you move out. Just ask Neil Hodgson or Noriyuki Haga or Franki Chili or Norick Abe any one of a dozen other riders. And after this year, you can add Troy Bayliss' name and maybe Alex Barros. Too much young talent coming along and everyone is looking for the next 18 year old superstar. Honda wants to move Dani Pedrosa up. Jorge Lorenzo, Casey Stoner and Andrea Dovidizeoso (sp?) are chomping at the bit as well as Chris Vermeulen. Biaggi, Barros and Bayliss are all about 35. Someone is going to get a retirement watch.....maybe more than one. Don't be surprised if Biaggi is not around next year. He was Yamaha's main man, didn't get it done, and then he was Honda's main man and didn't get it done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Where Will Biaggi Land Next Season? (roadkill)

At this point he isn't qualified to be Rossi's bitch...

Actually, I would like to see him do better than he has been. But what do I know.... I thought that Corser was over the hill and I'm glad that he proved me wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Where Will Biaggi Land Next Season? (hank)

In addition to Pedrosa taking a factory seat, I understand it to be a forgone conclusion that Vermulen will also have a seat with one of the Honda satellite teams. Kiyonari is also rumored to be getting a MotoGP ride on the strength of his performances in BSB.

It seems like there will be more shakeups than in previous seasons with several riders switching teams and others leaving the series entirely to be replaced by a new crop of talented hopefuls.

Will Bayliss be back? How about Checa? I'm also very curious which factory Hopkins will end up signing with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

How do you figure it will be Max to get bounced? The man has been 2nd or 3rd in the championship for years. If anyone should get tossed it should be Hayden. The only reason he won Laguna is home track knowledge. If it wasn't for that he'd be in 7th place in the championship. Which is what he'll end up at, if not worst by Valencia as usual. HRC would be stupid to get rid of Max, or Sete. Your talking about a multiple 250cc world champion being bounced for a former 4th or 5th tier motorcycle roadrace series (AMA SBK) champion. That doesn't make sense.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Where Will Biaggi Land Next Season? (SP8)

Max Biaggi is a former champion , but he's also wearing on. I think Honda look at Nicky as an investment and they'd probably let Biaggi go before Nicky - for a variety of reasons; age, visibility in the US marketplace, etc.

I'm think that where Nicky ends up next season, is dependant upon what he can get done by the end of this season - if it turns out Laguna was a fluke, then it wouldn't suprise me to see him get bumped to a satellite team and Hopper potentially filling his space at HRC while one of the 250cc guys taking Biaggi's spot.

I think Bayliss is really going to go out with a whimper, which sucks because I really like the guy; did well in SBK but can't seem to get it done in MotoGP.I think he could have done something at Ducati if they'd listened to him a little more.

From the looks of it, next season is going to be a serious round of musical chairs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Where Will Biaggi Land Next Season? (hubert)

The SBK people are always going find it tuff in MotoGP. These bikes are built to be like 2-Strokes. So a 250cc GP riders will have a better time with them. Where else do you see engine braking system on bikes? The 05 MV 1000 is the only production bike with that system, and it's derived from MotoGP. Haga, and Walker had there asses handed to them back in the 500cc days. The same thing is going on now. Edwards is a former good 250cc rider. Plus he loves 2-Strokes. I believe he wished he had a chance to race the 500cc bikes, but times have changed before he got the chance. 250cc is still the best breeding grounds for the premier class IMO. Chris V. is good, but he has been on production 4-Strokes so long I won't be suprised if gets smoked in MotoGP for awhile. I don't know his history with 2-Strokes, so maybe he'll get on fine. He has awesome talent for sure. One thing that is helpful, but dangerous is 2-Stroke dirt bikes. But, dirt equals injuries. Especially on a 2-Smoke.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

BTW, what about Biaggi's contract? They have no just cause to bounce him if he has a 2 year deal. There is some tracks he is very strong at coming up.

1. Germany
2. Malaysia
3. Brno
4. Valencia

I'm seeing him ending up 2nd, or 3rd in the championship with those tracks coming up. Imagine how stupid Honda would look bouncing him if he ends up 2nd or 3rd in the championship. That my friend is a dumb move.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SP8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The SBK people are always going find it tuff in MotoGP. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's becoming truer and truer every season; people used to think that a progression from WSBK to MotoGP would be natural and normal but that's simply not the case - some people want to address this, but the lower rungs of the GP classes look like the ladder series to be in for now. Doesn't bode well for hopeful guys in WSBK but that's how the cookie crumbles I guess.

I think Hopkins has a better shot than anyone, even though he didn't come up through the GP ladder system, because he was so young when he was introduced to GP racing.

As to Chris V. who knows, he's pretty young and quick, but like you said, the time spent on these bikes is invaluable; everyone assumes you need about 18 months to get up to speed on a GP machine and that's a long time and a lot of money.

Even if Biaggi comes in 2 or 3rd AGAIN in the championship, that doesn't do diddly for HRC - they want to defeat Rossi and they put Biaggi in their seat to do just that, he hasn't. They even brought Irv back, at great expense I'm sure, and that still hasn't edged out Rossi. Oh well. If he's not sacked outright, he'll probably get bumped to another Honda team.

The bigger picture is focusing on Pedrosa and the rest of the 250cc squad that's coming with a vengance; they're the ones that are going to be able to challenge Rossi and carry the series into the future.

Like someone said, the most interesting developments will be around Biaggi, Bayliss, Checa, Barros (maybe) - Sete's probably safe but who knows.

I really think we'll see Hopper on a Honda very soon; he's always had the talent and focus but the bike's been crap.

Again, next season should be very interesting.

Peripherally, what do you guys think will happen with the KR/Proton effort? I hope Shakey stays, I think that guy is great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Where Will Biaggi Land Next Season? (hubert)

Sete is way safe. He should be on a Repsol Honda, but he will not seperate from Telefonica. Biaggi will be racing for awhile. Only other riders that can match his skill today is Melandri, Sete, and of course Rossi. Barros, and Tamada don't have the consistancy to beat him. That's a shame cause consistancy is Biaggi's main problem. Hopper, Capirossi, and maybe Nakano may have the skill, but don't have the bike to be beat Biaggi. Biaggi is far from washed up. He may have been a whiner in the past, but the dude can ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

It will be interesting to see how the 800cc bikes will shift the mix.

Compared to the 990cc bikes, I think it will help the smaller riders (Pedrosa, Melandri) to compete better as well as the finesse riders (Rossi, Biaggi).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Where Will Biaggi Land Next Season? (hank)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hank »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will be interesting to see how the 800cc bikes will shift the mix.

Compared to the 990cc bikes, I think it will help the smaller riders (Pedrosa, Melandri) to compete better as well as the finesse riders (Rossi, Biaggi).

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Definatley will make the 250cc to MotoGP transtion a little easier, but I still think the idea sucks. I must admit it will make things safer in the end run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SP8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you figure it will be Max to get bounced? </TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Max is around ten years older than Hayden and his competitiveness is not improving with age.

2. Max is miserable to work with. He has publicly embarrassed his crew and HRC on numerous occasions. Unless you're currently the champ or likely to be crowned as one, the Japanese find such behavior both repulsive and disgraceful.

3. Unless coming in 2nd in the championship carries with it a legitimate shot at contending for the title, Honda are not interested. Max has come close in the past but he's been going backwards since then. Gibernau is the only rider who has come close to really challenging Rossi and he won't be leave the Movistar team.

4. Max has been in the premier class for 8 or 9 years. If he hasn't won a title by now, it becomes less and less likely with each passing year.

5. Honda are committed to a "youth" movement and have spoken out publicly in regard to this in connection with their desire to back riders such as Hayden, Melandri, Pedrosa and Vermulen in the long term. Biaggi and "youth movement" are not compatible terms.

6. Honda do not like riders whose personalities or egos are bigger than the team. With Doohan it was always a big power struggle which both sides resented but in his case he was mostly right (as opposed to HRC) when it came to developing the bike and he delivered the championships. It didn't work out with Rossi who wanted preferential status that Honda were unwilling to grant albeit probably to their sincere regret these days. Max has always put himself first and since he's not going to be the answer to Rossi, they have no further use for him. Not in the factory team at least......Oh, did I mention the run in he and his uncle had with Melandri? The Japanese in general and Honda in particular find such behavior to be utterly charming and adorable!

7. Hayden has finished or run in front of Max during most of the races this year and would be leading him in points were it not for his brain fart in the season opener when he crashed out of a certain 2nd or 3rd place finish.

8. Hayden is a humble team player and a polite young kid who is steadily improving as a rider and whose best days are still in front of him. Max is just the opposite really.

9. Max has long since shown himself to be the type of rider who can't or won't ride around problems that exsist with his equipment or inside his own head. If Max is happy he can win races. If Max is unhappy, forget it......

Anyway, that's a few reasons right there.

In regard to the point made about 250GP bikes being more similar to MotoGP bikes than superbikes, I disagree completely. While the current MotoGP bikes are more user friendly than the old 500s (which were also made much easier to ride before they dissappeared from the series) I think comparing them to 250s is a big reach. I think the factories have tried to make MotoGP bikes more like 250GP bikes with considerable success in certain areas such as being able to carry more corner speed and reduced engine braking. You can make a 4-stroke behave somewhat more like a 2-stroke. But with MotoGP bikes weighing over 100 pounds more and having 150-170 MORE horsepower than a 250GP bike, I find it hard to take such a comparision seriously. I think a MotoGP bike shares more common characteristics with a superbike than a 250. I have ridden 250GP bikes and the current crop of liter bikes which I guess make 50-70 HP less than the factory racebikes. The idea that a MotoGP bike making another 50-60HP is closer to the 250 riding experience than a Superbike seems implausible at best....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

which GP 250 did you ride? are you a secret World Level racer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SP8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you figure it will be Max to get bounced? The man has been 2nd or 3rd in the championship for years. If anyone should get tossed it should be Hayden. The only reason he won Laguna is home track knowledge. If it wasn't for that he'd be in 7th place in the championship. Which is what he'll end up at, if not worst by Valencia as usual. HRC would be stupid to get rid of Max, or Sete. Your talking about a multiple 250cc world champion being bounced for a former 4th or 5th tier motorcycle roadrace series (AMA SBK) champion. That doesn't make sense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

man sp8 im with u on hayden. shit atleast rossi was on podium on first time out, u dont see hayden hitting podium on his first ride in european soil! for what 3 years now and he still can be the man on honda!!! im really shocked that honda still offers nicky factory ride!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Where Will Biaggi Land Next Season? (Giannis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which GP 250 did you ride? are you a secret World Level racer?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spoken like a true nine year old.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts