Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
WSMC #51, CVRA #51
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I spent the day at Erion (and most of my paycheck) but came away happy. This was my second full day on the dyno trying to get the bike to run like I knew it should. We ran in to fueling issues (or lack of fuel at high RPM) the first go-around but this time we came out on top. I just know your all dying to see what kind of power she made, but we will get to the good stuff in a bit. I must first say how friendly, professional and courteous the entire Erion Racing staff was. Kevin Erion and Rick Hobbs made me feel right at home in there race shop and talked to me as I was a long time friend rather than a customer! Great service! Here are a few photos I quickly shot.

Rick ringing the neck off the RC with almost 40 11,000 RPM pulls during the day.

One of my favorite bikes I have ever owned, 1998 CBR900RR. This one made 180HP and they had to add 25LB of ballast above the trans to pass tech!

Zemke’s FX CBR929

Hayes 2007 FX CBR600RR

·
WSMC #51, CVRA #51
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh yea, the dyno thing....

Now where did I put that?

Oh look, here it is!

-New stock rods
-OEM crank no other work done
-Custom dome JE's with moly coated skirts (11.8:1 with OEM Heads, not 11.3 like the off the shelf High Comp parts), OEM Rings
-Cases re-plated back to STD bore by Millennium and honed to the pistons
-STD Dia Morawaki supplied endurance racing steel valves, polished, undercut stems (Thanks to Bob Hayashita)
-HRC SP1 Aluminum Retainers
-HRC SP1 Springs and spring seats
-New OEM Keepers
-Custom Billet cams, The cams give 1mm more lift, 11.4mm vs. 10.4mm std and have more duration,267* vs 251* std @1mm lift. (Dale Warren Cams)
-Cams timed at 105 IN and 107 EX
-J.D. Hord ported heads
-Morawaki aribox
-Akropovic full system
-VP Q16 fuel
-Carmo Electronics extended rev limit ECU (11,000RPM)
-All quieting gears stock
-SP2 T-Bodies (SP1 engine and heads)

And that’s with a Michelin PR 190/55 Med race compound tire in 4th gear. We made consistent pulls in the 145 range with month old fuel. Fresh fuel made 3 to 4 more HP! Rick was telling me the dyno will usually read slightly higher if ran in 5th or 6th gear, the dyno will also read higher with tires that grow or with a rock hard touring tire. So this was a worst case example or a minimum if you will. I road the bike around the block and I can tell you its a monster! 148+ to the rear wheel and at 378lbs (wet with light fuel load) this should be a fun bike. I paln to have it out for the November WSMC round. For those who care, SAE CF 1.00

:D

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Ver, very nice and impressive Damon. Great job and congrats again :clapper :clapper :clapper . 148 HP and 75 lbs of torque :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
AWESOME Man! +1 with Massi,I'd be pasting up ashit load of "smilies" right now... but you can ALL can thank goodness,.... My work computer is Screwing UP, as per Normal here lately..Killer JOB Damon, and Thanks for sharing!

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Damon... you were sounding pretty sleepy on the phone last night.. glad you made it home & glad your motor kicks ass! Now go check your e-mail... Soon you bike will weigh 371 wet! :D Jason knows the deal...

Josh

Hey Josh!
How's it going man,.. Long time eh... Josh, I am STILL Waiting, to hear what someone elses RC51 Build is going to pull,...
I won't mention any names though...;) ... Where's Steve B.?

Okay, back from the minor thread jack..... So Damon, is getting ready to DROP Another 7lbs., eh?
Damon,... would I maybe correct in guessing,... you are about to recieve
Thorstens combo> Under Seat Fuel Cell\Sub-frame- GiganDOr-Hue-Friggin'-Mungious CarbonFiber AirBox & Dumby Fuel Cell, AirBox Cover!....? :rockon

Oh Yeah! And Erion's 1998 CBR900RR is a thing of Beauty... I WANT IT!

Thanks again guys, the 2 most resent> (Damon, Chuck) for everything You ALL post up for info., with Pictures even: Helping ALL of US
to keep Dreaming AND Realizing those Dreams for some of us!:clapper

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I say titanium engine mount inserts?!?!?! And maybe titanium axles?!?!?!

·
WSMC #51, CVRA #51
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yet another day at the dyno and the truth behind Throttle Bodies.

I have to leave for work in a few min so just a quick note. Yesterday was very interesting. We played with several configurations (including two long, and two short stacks) and the best setup for my bike was, SP1 T-bodies long stack on the front short stack on the rear. We lost nothing at the top, let me repeat, we lost nothing at the top compared to the SP2 T-bodies. We did gain almost 15 HP from 7k to 9k, and a slightly lesser amount elsewhere.

The original intent was to eliminate a problem I was having when the bike was running under 180 deg above 8.5k over 90% throttle. Even with proper A/F ratio my specific configuration just could not burn the fuel at WOT at high RPM unless the engine temp was close to 200 deg. This has been a problem for me since day one with this build. We came up with the theory, the lack of ventruri vacuum at WOT with the larger T-bodies led to a combination that did not adequately atomize the A/F for a complete burn. Once the head temp was sufficient this problem lessened. Thats also why if we leaned the A/F ratio out to 14.5:1 or grater the problem whet away but so did some power.

It appears the smaller SP1 T-bodies are more then sufficient for 145 to 150HP. In my case we gained nothing but tuning problems with the SP2 parts and lost significant upper mid range. I wont have time for a few days but I will get some dyno charts up in the next week or so. My engine is far from stock so your results may vary, but rest assured the SP1 T-bodies are good for more then 145HP.

Thanks to Andy Palmer of West Coast GP Cycles, Josh Kaufman and Lou Alvarez for their continued help.

·
Registered
545 Posts
glad i didn't get any then!myself and jonty both have sp1s,similar spec 'cept hes got sp2 tbs on his and theres nothing much in it in the real world 'cept when i hit the limiter in top and he comes past with his 11k ecu.

oh,and thanks for showing your build in detail.it inspired me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts