0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Wheelie School Accident (cyber3d)

I imagine that Keiths lawers drerw up quite a waiver before this was offered

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Wheelie School Accident (section8superbike)

Perhaps accident was not "wheelie" related.

Sucks tho, poor lady.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Wheelie School Accident (jbraslins)

Leslie Duco, 46, was participating in training offered by Los Angeles-based <U>On One Wheel </U>

where does this story mention Keith Code? is this Keith Code wheelie school?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Wheelie School Accident (oneducs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneducs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leslie Duco, 46, was participating in training offered by Los Angeles-based <U>On One Wheel </U>

where does this story mention Keith Code? is this Keith Code wheelie school?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup ..... On One Wheel is the name of the Keith Code School.

A 46 yo woman out there learning wheelies? Maybe I'm not being PC, but I have to wonder what the hell is a 46 year old woman (or a man, for that matter) doing trying to learn wheelies? Shoot, I'm 43 and gave up on trying wheelies long ago.

And as Jason said, I'm sure they had a bomb proof waiver, but I still bet there will be trouble. These days, that's a pretty easy bet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having lived in Cali for many years I can assure you there is no bombproof waiver if you have the cash for the right lawyers..

IMHO it was her choice and no fault of Codes..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (Ropes4u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ropes4u »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
IMHO it was her choice and no fault of Codes..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't get me wrong ....... I agree with you 100%. Your choice to take on a risky activity. If you bite it, it's your problem.

My point was that these days, the rest of the world seems to think otherwise and are always looking for someone else to blame ....... usually the ones with deep pockets.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (JamesP)

You are all jumping the gun and speculating on ZERO facts.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (sm0kimOn)

You are all jumping the gun and speculating on ZERO facts

What he said

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sm0kimOn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are all jumping the gun and speculating on ZERO facts.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure what you mean.

Granted, it's only a AP article on the internet. But with this quote from the article:

A woman participating in a class on how to safely perform motorcycle stunts was thrown from her bike and later died, police said.

Leslie Duco, 46, was participating in training offered by Los Angeles-based On One Wheel around 1 p.m. Sunday at Orange County Airport. She was practicing a wheelie when the accident happened

.......you don't think it's a topic for general discussion on a motorcycle forum? I didn't see anyone drawing any final conclusions about anything ..... just a discussion. Maybe she broke her neck, maybe she had a stroke, a heart attack. For now, who knows? I'm not sure that means you can't discuss certain possible scenarios and the associated implications.

Is it the suggestion of a potential lawsuit that brought your comment?

Elaborate on your post to help me understand your

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sm0kimOn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">speculating on ZERO facts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe ZERO "facts." But not zero FAQs. Here's one:

Question: Does this mean you will be able to compete in stunt riding competitions?

Answer: We can't promise that, depends on you.

Here's another:

Question: Is it fun to wheelie?

Answer: Most riders need plastic surgery to remove their smiles.

I've looked all over their web site, and I could find no mention of the FACT that it could be dangerous to learn how to wheelie......

Oh wait, here it is:

Question: Is it safe?

Answer: Don't be silly, we are talking about motorcycles in extreme situations, of course it isn't "safe".

http://www.ononewheel.com/faqs.php

And it doesn't look like their "Wheelie Trainer" has any fur on it. Maybe that was why she fell off? I know having a little "fur" to hang onto helps me when I'm doing "stunts." Another good reason to wear gear when riding in Brazil....

http://www.ononewheel.com/the_machine.php

Modified by infoage1 at 6:02 AM 5/26/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (JamesP)

Wot James said.

Shocking, female septic tanks training to be hooligans. [training schools even]

Only a hooligan would hoist their pony. Perish the thought.

Leslie R.I.P.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sm0kimOn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are all jumping the gun and speculating on ZERO facts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is the internet... we are required by law to debate with out all or preferably any the facts..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (Ropes4u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ropes4u »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is the internet... we are required by law to debate with out all or preferably any the facts..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't forget rampant irresponsible speculation

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re:

Hard to imagine how this happened. I did the wheelie school last year (very fun
), and the bikes are totally un-loopable. If you're very good they'll set the wheelie bar to let you hoist giant wheelies before the bar kills a cylinder and hits the rear brake for you, and it's possible to start wobbling and toss yourself from such a giant wheelie (one guy almost did this when I was there) - but you have to be quite good before they'll let you hoist one that high. I suppose if you hoisted one while slightly leaned over and the bar sent you crashing back down, you might get tossed over the side. Strange, I wonder if we'll ever hear exactly what happened.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Owning a wheelie or stunting school is financial suicide. Irrespective of a waiver, aka adhesion contract, a successful lawsuit is certain given the tremendous risk to life and limb and a curriculum whereby people are taught to use a motorcycle in a manner that is inconsistent with its intended use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts