Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the dealio. I currently have an 02 RC51 that does double duty (w/ full street bodywork and full track bodywork). I am already a little tired of switching it out bodywork, wheels, etc. all the time.

I may have a chance to pick up an 00 RC51 for real cheap as it doesn't have any bodywork and is missing some small bits here and there. If I were able to get it, my diliemma would be which one to street and which one to track?

My 02 has about 18K miles on it and the 00 would have less than 7K miles.

My guess is that I would benefit more from the 02 & up improvements on the track. What do you guys think? Especially those of you who have owned an 00-01 and owned an 02 & up RC51...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ride the 02 on the track and use the 00 for street use. I have had an 03 and now I have a 00 and I felt better on the 03 but after buying and selling bikes I ended up with the 00 for 1300 out of pocket. but I would much rather still have the 03 it just felt smoother to me.
pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (patman)

I'd put the older one on the track. Parts are generally cheaper.......you know, just in case

I thought the changing out thing would get old
If you get it, bring it by at the track. We'll go out and play

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What would you do? (dhdrider)

How long does it take to do all of the swapping? I am going to be doing the same with mine soon (street and track), and just curious how much of a PIA it'll be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What would you do? (waterboy420)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waterboy420 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How long does it take to do all of the swapping?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not that bad, actually. The only thing I didn't realize is that I would be doing so many track days. (severely addicted)

If I focus on only doing the switch-out I can do it all (bodywork, tank, slip-ons, and wheels) in about 1.5 to 2 hrs.

However, usually I crack a few beers, turn on the TV in the garage, and next thing you know it's been 4 hours!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: What would you do? (dhdrider)

Jason, make your life easier and just track the '00. The only significant change for the 02 is the swing-arm (froma handling standpoint) and if anyone here tell's you they can tell the difference on the track between the two (provided they have both been optimized from a suspension and Power Commander standpoint) they are blowing smoke up your dress.

The 02' will always have a higher resale value if you ever chose to sell it (and you will). RC51's are crappy street bikes (run hot, crappy fuel economy and no range) so put the 02 back to stock, sell it and either buy really cool go-fast stuff for the track bike or buy you another more suitable street ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.