Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is looking for an affordable and reliable streetable supermoto. He's looking for used bikes and has found CRF450R's and DRZ400's. I mentioned higher maintenance with the CRF which I think discouraged him especially with a used bike.

I love my CRF450R but don't commute on it so maintenance is not a big issue with me.

He's owned many bikes and currently has a Duc 996, so he's not afraid of maintenance but wants to ride more than tinker. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
If it's going to be ridden on the streets most of the time, it's worth looking at a purpose-built bike. Take your pick from KTM, Husky, Aprilia, Suzuki, or even the Yamaha WR250X, to name a few off the top of my head.

Any bike that's built for the street is going to be much easier to maintain, and also much easier to find replacement parts for. Buying something someone else converted to be on the street may not be the best answer, 'cause you never know what they did to get it converted, and how hard it may be to fix if something gets busted.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg. I told him to check out some of those bikes. I think the ktm's are nice and have more dealers than say the others. I know he'd like an electric start and a good DC system as well. I would!

My CRF450 has a nasty habit of dying on me when my idle is set a little low and getting it started when it's hot is a pain, especially in an intersection. Well, my fault for putting a huge cam in it but sure is fun when not sitting at a light.

Anyway I'll pass on the info to my buddy! Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I like my sm610, but there's some tricks to it, I'd be more than happy to pass along. That said I do believe the DRZ SM is the most reliable of them all. Still the monster motos are more reliable and have better freeway manners. For example: Hyper, Dorso, Super Duke. Something to consider maybe. But a 300lbs ish bike with goobs of low end torque is kinda of addictive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Otherwise look at a used Suzy SV 650cc v-twin or competitive Kwacker 650cc parallel twin & forget the dirt. Much as dirt is fun, you need someone experienced riding with you & go down injured, at a time that he rides which is not ALWAYS the same & in some cases dirt is hard to obtain legally.

Advantage of a street iron is that it is good in the town or city streets to also be out in the hwys & still cruising ahead of the traffic. True it might be solo, but if you do not have buddies that ride with you the bike does not collect dust & you can go riding.

I have riden solo most of my 64 yrs of riding to also (not a smart move bine 42 yrs of practicing of in dirt comp). Yes I had to struggle home with a damage dirt bike to also injuries to myself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I LOVE my Husqvarna SM610 for commuting, screwing around, and even track days. The KTM 690 series is also awesome. The Duke 690 has a liveable seat if comfort matters.

Used to have sportbikes and a RC51 back in the day. I had an '03 SV650S, but hated it compared to to all the sumo's out there. I was all set to buy a drz400sm, but for only $1000 more I could buy the Husky SM610. That was an easy sell. The Husky and KTM's are a lot more bike than the drz. The SM610 is great value. Used ones are out there for $5k all day long.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Plus 1 on the HVA 610....I love my '06.....

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
The Aprilia SXV is a hard-core race bike designed to win races and needs to be treated as such - it has strict maintenance requirements and overall it is not a suitable street bike.

·
Silverback
307 Posts
When I can finally pull the trigger it's going to be a CRF450F. Has quite a bit more power than the SM400 and less maintenance than the CRF450R, while maintaining the looks.

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
Maint. on the CRF450R isn't horrible that is what I have for a SUMO and a DRZ would be a huge step down and not worth it in my opinion. plus if you don't need turn signals in your state your wiring harness for street is super simple.
I will get my PDF off my computer and post it up so people can see my wiring Diagram. 2 wires one fuse and no key. (mine doesn't get parked out of sight) and I also carry a disc Lock everywhere I go.

·
Registered
531 Posts
How do you get a a CRF450R or CRF450X road legal? I thought there was something in the title that says its for offroad use only. Every state is different I guess, but if it is possiable in New York then I just might have to do that

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
It is diffucult in some states but other states it is alot easier. and sometimes the titles are just as easy to transfer as a regular streetbike. Mine was titled in Cali then I shipped it to MN. if you are looking for a street one I am contemplating selling mine to get a track only one. if it doesn't sell no big deal but I don't really need a street title for a track bike.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I recently picked up a DRZ 400SM and am just finishing its facelift. I'm doing the Schwantz replica with dual Yosh exhaust. Huge difference. It already looks awesome. Just waiting on the tank to come back from the painter next week.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I hope so! But if it sold I wouldn't be upset either. I'm always so conflicted. I build bikes I would want, but always create something that can further my business. Wish I could keep them all!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts