Speedzilla Forums banner

What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted.

1K views 24 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
Like it says, what gear have you crashed?

Helmet?

Coat?

Pants?

Gloves?

I haven't been down on the street or track except for one stoppie attempt gone bad. Just ripped out the palm of my glove so I am not counting that.

G
#4 ·
Re: What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted. (bikefrk)

Interesting.

I was a squid once, a looooooong time ago. Lowsided (going maybe 20mph) once with a t-shirt and sunglasses on. Skinned up my shoulder and hand.

Still in my squid days, I was riding a different bike once when it was very cold, so I had a helmet, two leather jackets, gloves, heavy jeans and boots. Had a tankslapper at maybe 60mph that sent me down and tumbling like a rag doll. Anyone who has gone down like that knows the familair 'bam!' 'bam!' for every revolution of the roll when your helmet hits the pavement. Without that helmet, I wonder if I would have lived through it.

I was sore as a mother the next few days, but not a scratch.

G
#5 ·
Re: What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted. (tattooskickass)

JR highside suit and Sidi boots are prob the only reason I still posses a right leg, despite it being sandwiched between a moving bike and several tons of dump truck.

notice the outline of my right knee pressed into the steel gas tank

This wreck did cause me to have one of the most interesting conversations in my life tho. I was sitting in my room in the ER, having just returned from x-rays which confirmed no broken bones, and the doctor walks in with my chart...

Doctor : you hit a....dump truck?
me: yes sir
Doctor: on your motorcycle?
me: yes sir
Doctor: and youre still alive?
I just pointed at the pile that the EMTs left my gear in

G
#6 ·

Helmet a few, gloves a few, one piece suit, leather jacket a couple, boots.
All I know is crashing on pavement sucks. It seems to happen so fast, it's like one minute you're riding and the next second you're flopping along and sliding thinking "how did I get here?"

G
#7 ·

Struck while exiting track. Slid the length of a football field.

Kushitani leathers- Excellent!!! No tearing
Dainese back protector- Excellent!
Tourmaster Robomax Gloves- Tore @ the thumb; burned through-bad
Sidi Vertigo Boots- Not enough lateral support- bad
Arai Helmet- not a scratch????

G
#8 ·
Re: What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted. (socal)

Two crashes on the street, several on dirt, non(yet) on track. On the street both time I had on hiking boots and jeans, leather work gloves, helmet, leather jacket(1st) and Textile jacket (second) . First crash low side at about 30 mph. Boots ok, gloves ok, helmet no scratches, jeans not a mark but major road rash on my ass, Jacket scuffed up but did its job. Second, highside in parking lot left shoulder and left side of the helmet took 99% of the crash. Nolan helmet did its job and the textile jacket was trashed but not a mark on me. Worse part was it happened in front of the high school track team and most of them were my students. My ego was severly damaged.

I haven't ridden on the street in about a year but if I do I think I will wear my aria, vanson gloves, race boots(smx), and get a new aerostich suit. Vanson suit for the track.

G
#9 ·
Got clipped on the left pipe by a Saab at about 40mph.

Old school A-stars boots = few scratches, held up great for an old pair of boots.

Jeans = that copper little tab on the right pocket cored a hole in my leg big enough to drop a quarter in, but no ripping in the jeans. Never rode with jeans since then, that was 3yrs ago.

Sooel textile jacket = slight tear on the back shoulder area. Has ce armour but the impact was enough to break my collar bone so can't blame the jacket.

Komine gloves = took some abuse but held up great.

Arai Astral J/Signet = saved my head, imo if any helmet works as designed no matter how much you've paid for it, its worth it. That said I plan on never buying another. I've heard helmets in the $500 - 400 range do the job just as well.

G
#10 ·
Re: What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted. (casjoker)

a short but painful list .... shoie lid scratched ... one torn left glove ( out side of palm ) ... levis ( i know , i know ) torn by the 2 1/2 inch branch that i slid on ,,,
alpine stars boot , toe slider missing , small scuff on the shoulder of my leather jacket ... i had just finished a week end track thingie and took an extra day off to relax ,, so i went for a 35 minute ride out through Palomares Canyon ( Pashnit did a write up on it and Mines Road ) ,, ran the first section kinda quick 2nd and 3rd gear ,,

Ran a little harder in the second part , past a truck hauling wood and branches going the other way ,, then some thing in my head said you better knock it off ,,,
so i sat up and let her coast down a bit to the last esses , visor up , sun low , some one had a killer bbq on because it smeelled good ,,, well remeber the truck goin the other way .... i didn't .... the ashat lost a few bits of tree ,, missed the first one .. went over the second one ran out of road and hit the third one ...
10 miles per hour slide on the soft shoulder ... shit !!!!
I've gotten more bumps , bruises and scars from my mountianbike !!!

G
#11 ·
Re: What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted. (04749s)

A car (300Z) made a left turn while I was traveling at around 60mph.

I was wearing t-shirt , jeans, sneakers and a helmet.
After flying over the car and sliding down the road a bit the right side of my helmet (shoei) was trashed.

Not sure about the t-shirt, jeans and sneakers since the EMTs cut them off.
The helmet definitely saved my life !

Hey Dezmo looking at that picture of your 888 hurts.
LOL-If you still have the bike I have a right side fairing from my old 888 that is in much better condition.
( tip over damage, bike long gone)

G
#12 ·
Re: What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted. (PAduc)

two crashes, first one was street at about 80, tecknic chicane suit, some stitching blew out but leather held up fine, tecknic chicane gloves w/ studded palm...studded palm saved my hand, some stitching blew out but did its job not wearable again, astars boot a+, kbc helment a+, track crash at 110mph, same tecknic chicane suit with restitiching, restitching held up great, some other stitching blew out, leather held up great, jrocket highside gloves a+, AGV helmet a+, astars boots a+

G
#13 ·
Re: What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted. (wolf44)

Highside, about 50 mph, Teknic Chicane jacket and Teknic Silverstone gloves, Shoe X-9. I landed on my back and hardly remember hitting the ground. The back of the jacket was scuffed up pretty good, but didn't tear. The extra padded part of the Teknic gloves broke, but there was not break through. There were a few dings in the Shoei. Never felt a thing. Then there was a lowside, 20 mph, slid about 15 feet, Vanson jacket, pants with full street armor and Vanson back protector, AlpineStar boots, same Teknic gloves from the first crash and Arai Quantum f. It felt like falling out of bed. I buffed out the left sleeve on the Vanson and still wear it today.

G
#14 ·
Re: What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted. (ScottyinMD)

Joe rocket jacket - still perfect.
Arai helmet - scratched up, replaced
some kevlar fingered gloves - dont know the make.
heavy boots, not mc brand.

G
#15 ·
Re: What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted. (ScottyinMD)

<U>Leathers </U>
Fieldsheer suit - had very thick leather and real heavy padding on the hips and elbows. Held up well in several crashes.

Spyke Leather suit - looked great, but tore at the seams and ripped the stretch fabric in a slow speed crash. Eventually was cut off by EMTs.

Vanson Custom suit. weighs a ton and has held up great in many high and low speed crashes. No complaints at all. Would recommend it to anyone.

<U>Gloves</U>
Held galaxy - one pair blew out at the thumb in a crash. Another pair - got my hand caught under the clip-on and ground off the finger (along with my nail)

Alpinestars GP Pro - three crashes so far - 2 on track and one on the street. Still look like new.

<U>Boots</U>
Daytona Evo Security - has held up great for several years and many crashes. No foot injuries but they look pretty bad. Good thing is that they sell replacement outers.

<U>Helmets</U>
Always wore Arai.
I have only hit my head once while wearing them. Still here, so it must have worked. The others were tossed for being too old or for having small scrapes (probably cosmetic, but why chance it?)

<U>Back Protector</U>
For racing, I have always worn the Dainese one that I got when I bought my first racebike. I bought a Dainese vest but it is too tall and hits my helmet.
My street gear - I use whatever comes with the jackets.

<U>Street Jacket</U>
Alpinestar mesh. Held up great. Ripped a little at the hard armor in the shoulder, but the seams held and I didn't get any rash at all.

G
#16 ·

Normal leather jacket from a wheelie gone wrong. Elbow had no pad so it split the meat at the elbow but didn't break anything which was good. Rear jacket rolled up to exposed a nice clean back and the loose arms stopping on impact torn the skins off my right arm. Fit is very important.

Nice new pair of Levis couldn't servive for that split of a second on impact and did a Hoodinny on me to exposed all of my right leg...can you say ouccccchhh!!! Road pebbles are not your friend kids

Crashed at Buttonwillow Bus Stop which was my stop or was it Lost Hills..yeah one of them. Full Alpine Haga which is the TLD. Held up great. Heavy impact to the right shoulder from the high speed lowside. Torn a 1 and 1/2 tear but pads inside held up to protect my right shoulder. No injuries from the first impact.

Lowside then turn into a spinning head toe dealio. Second impact, legs first toward the sand trap. The quick and fast STOP to stand me up before throwing me like a ragdoll must have broken my right ankle and smaller leg bones. Was wearing well used Alpinestar Gp boots. Not much in ankle protection so I am now riding around in Sidi Vertebra Race..heck I own two of them now but now that my ankle is protected and braced. WHat will give under the same crash senerio?

Track gloves were also Technic Violator gloves. Held up fine with outer layer tear.

Dainese 7 section back protector did just fine saving my back from injuries.

Arai RX7 on both crashes had scratches and are now use for rainy days or spares. Thinking of donating them to a pub or pizza parler a friend owns

Hanes underware had to be replaces due to in grained staines that would not come out even with bleach

G
#17 ·

I made the mistake in 1995 of removing my leather jacket on a night ride in 90degree heat and humidity. As luck would have it, I low sided that evening at about 35, and was only wearing a golf shirt. I had my helmet, gloves, jeans and boots, but was sweating profusely while warming up my CBR900RR and decided to forego the leather jacket that night. Big Mistake. Lost lots of skin and spend many weeks recovering while smeared in silvadine burn cream.

G
#18 ·
I decided I wanted to highside myself off my 250 wearing my Vanson suit, Alpinestar gloves & boots, and my only pick of helmets... Arai, walked away and raced the next race on my 125! I did however have to borrow a helmet as mine was pretty f-d up.

Adam

G
#19 ·

Hey, lots of good feedback in here.

Sounds like the Teknic stuff does the job if fitted properly.

Anyone crash Joe Rocket pants yet? I was thinking of a pair of those for riding to work in.

I have a Teknic 2 piece zip together suit for weekend and trackday blasting. I haven't had to test it out yet.

I flipped a stoppie wearing just the coat once, but it was so slow I just hit the ground and stopped right there. The rear tire of the bike did hit my helmet. Thank God I had the helmet on. That b*tch slap would have hurt without it.

G
#20 ·

I'm on my second Teknic Chicane suit for supermoto racing. The first one (a one piece) survived numerous low speed get-offs, and two good fast ones, one at nearly 90 mph. In the fast one, the stitching popped on the back of both legs and on one arm, and the stretch material on the inside of the other arm tore. All of it was repairable, and in fact, I think the repaired seams are stronger than the original stitching. I never had a repaired seam pop. I quit wearing it because it didn't fit after I lost 50 pounds.

I now use a Teknic Chicane two piece, and have had numerous low-side type crashes, one quite fast. The suit is scuffed, but has needed no repair.

Twice I have gotten raspberries on my elbows from crashes in the dirt... I skin my elbow on the inside of the suit. I think I should probably be wearing a long-sleeved undergarment.

I have been wearing the same pair of Teknic Violator gloves for years, through all my crashing. I broke a pinky once, but have never had any hand abrasions or other hand injuries.

G
#21 ·
Re: What riding gear have you crashed in? Feedback wanted. (banda)

I've crashed in both a Dainese and Taichi leather suite when on the track. I've crashed in the Taichi three times and the leather has held up incredibly well. Taichi's are a rather lightweight suite and leather SEEMS a little thin. However, it has yet to rip of wear through. I crashed the Dainese at about 120 mid-way through T1 at Texas World and the suite was fine. Both suites aren't cheap, but I aint skimpin' on leathers.

Held gloves are my favorite and the kangaroo leather is the most supple, IMO... and hold up exceptionally well. Never worn through either.

Funny how my first street crash was in a helmet, t-shirt, jeans and Nikes. Second crash I had a helmet, gloves, Sidi boots and jeans. Third crash I had a helmet, gloves, Sidi boots, Teknic jacket and jeans. ONLY THEN did I start to wear the leather jacket with zip in Fieldsheer pants.

G
#22 ·
I've never crashed on the street in 25 years, but easily have 25 or more crashes while racing and doing trackdays.

I never skimped on gear and haven't been hurt that badly to date. Gear I have crashed in:

Helmets = usually Shoei or Arai - I had a KBC Racer1 that i highsided in and got my bell rung pretty bad......never again. I use a Skorpion for supermotarding and it seems okay.

Leathers = Syed, Alpinestar, Joe Rocket, Dainese, Spidi, and Vanson. All worked reasonably well - A'Stars had holes in the butt after one crash and Joe Rockets tore some minor seams after one crash . Crashed in the Syeds 8-10 times and they are still okay including a triple digit Willow get-off.

Gloves = A'Stars, Held, Spidi & Teknic - Alpinestars GP glove burst open on me once and Spidi tore thru palm once. Other A'Star pairs have been thru as many as 6 crashes.

Boots = Sidi & A'Stars - switched to A'Stars after having feet broken in the Sidis

Back protector = A'Star, Dainese, Bohn and Knox - A'Star is sturdiest, but a little bulky under the leathers.

G
#23 ·
My Little Brother (Currently in a State of recovery from this) Head on into a car at an estimated 110 MPH Impact (Combined speeds of the two vehicles). Wearing Gear (in etc Gloves Helmet and Jacket with Levis)
Injuries Include A Blown left knee, Broken Pelvis, Both Hips broken. Left Wrist, Left Shoulder, Right thumb all broken, ruptured bladder, Bruised Heart and Lungs. Zero roadrash. His bike went under the car and he bounced off the windshield. Gas tank of the bike is Bowl shaped from him impacting it.

G
#25 ·
Re: (doughboy_748r)

RS Taichi Blast Edge, and Blast Viper both one piece. A Teknic Chicane two piece, but I dont' wear that anymore. Took 3 crashes with the Blast Edge suit, came out with a scratched knee in one, and a scratched elbow in the other. I only wear Alpinestars SMX Plus boots, and Shoei helmets, no comprimise there.. Protecting my hands are Alpinestars GP Pro Gloves.

I do not venture out on my bike with out full gear. That is a hard face rule with me, and I am pushing 50k, on my 2001 gix, and 40k, on my 2003 RC51. Full gear is the only way I will ride.
And lately I am getting so starched on the full gear bit, I am not riding with other riders who don't have on full gear!!

How about that!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.