Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it sounds like a lame question, but I gotta ask anyways.:wtf A growing family (2 kids, planning a 3rd) is making me think of purchasing a minivan. So I want to know if anyone here has a minivan or knows of one that will hold an RC51 or any motorcycle for that matter. It will make me feel a lot better about the purchase, if I knew I could take my bike to the track in it.

·
Old,Dirty,Racer
1,191 Posts
RastaRN said:
I know it sounds like a lame question, but I gotta ask anyways. A growing family (2 kids, planning a 3rd) is making me think of purchasing a minivan. So I want to know if anyone here has a minivan or knows of one that will hold an RC51 or any motorcycle for that matter. It will make me feel a lot better about the purchase, if I knew I could take my bike to the track in it.
I got a minivan pulling my 6x12 trailer. This pass week, I had 2 bikes, gear, tools in the trailer, more gear, and a passenger in the minivan, and I was hitting speeds up to 80 mph.. Crusing at around 70 mph..

BTW, my minivan is an old 1993 Chrysler Town & Country. I purchased it about 3 months ago for the sole purpose of pulling the trailer, and acting as a storage bin too. It had 157,000 miles on it.. I am 160k now. I had a class 3 hitch installed, and a heavier spring in the back.. I paid about 2300 for it, and a lot of people said I was robbed.

Anyway, the minivan runs smooth and comfortable. I have a 3.3 liter engine, and it seems like more than enough power. Money was the decidiing factor here. Don't a day go by that I don't look at the bad Ford 150s and I want one bad. But, for now, this minivan is getting me back and forth to trackdays with ease.

One last thing, after reading your post again, I hope you weren't thinking about putting the RC51 INSIDE THE MINIVAN???
Not sure that would work...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
PM Rigor - he pulls a 5x10 enclosed trailer with a Dodge Caravan.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I met an automovive instructor that travel around giving short classes at hotels to update tech's on the latest and greatest from the diff. manufacture's. He drove an astro van and had designed a winch to pull his bike inside so that he could take it with him. The minivan has too small of an opening to be able to just push it in. But it can be done, he had several bikes, I beleave he had a GSXR in the back when I saw it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
a guy i work with uses a dodge sprinter, a mercedes with dodge emblems. if i had the cash to get a used one, i would in a heart beat. you can find plenty of them around used. fed-ex uses them as their small delivery vehicles as im sure other companies use as well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Maybe not as fuel-efficient as a minivan, but my Dodge B2500 window van will easily carry two racebikes and all my gear: tools, fuel, canopy, cooler, etc,etc,
and is a total pleasure on the highway. Gets 15mpg and goes 500 miles on a tank with the cruise set at 75mph. Dual air conditioning, power seats, infinity stereo- it's a pleasure unit. I also like the security of having everything locked up inside. I guess I'm a little old-school, but I remember a time when absolutely everybody packed their stuff up inside their vans and went to the races.
Oh yeah...the second and third seats are quick-disconnect, and two baxleys will bolt right up to the seat-mounting hardware. It's a pretty nice setup.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've seen a guy bring a bike to the track in that grey plastic boxy minivan Honda makes.. I think its called the element but I'm not sure.. its the really square one!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know a guy that takes his gixxer 750 to the races inside an old shitty Astro Van. Fit perfectly. lol

·
Registered
676 Posts
Cheap and big. Old Chevy Astro Van. Unless you need your dignity on a weekly basis, then I'd probably axe the mini-van idea all together.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
yeap, an old Chevy astro will fit it. Or you can buy one with a good towing rating and just get a small open trailer for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i think there is an echo in here. haha

you can also look into getting an old white Chevy panel van, because you can easily bolt hooks to the floor for strapping the bike down. they are usually pretty cheap and have a V8 in them, but they rattle like CRAZY! :wacky You'll be wearing earplugs to the track for sure. haha

·
Registered
676 Posts
Have you tried looking for a white chevy panel van. V-8 power but rattles like crazy! ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
RCrider51 said:
Have you tried looking for a white chevy panel van. V-8 power but rattles like crazy! ;)

hahhaha, actually, he would be better off with a White panel van that rattles like crazy. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts