Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a preferred type of tape to cover your lights when going on a track where it will come off easy and not leave any sticky crap behind?

any other technique when applying tape please let me know as i may just go out once or twice for a class and don't want to take everything off.

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: what kind of tape for lights (moswift)

Blue painters tape avaialable at any hardware store is the best way, but pre-cut vinyl patterns are also an excellent way of doing it. Neither will leave a residue.

Stay away from duct tape etc & be sure to unplug your headlights too!

On this one I just used a piece of silver on each headlight then a piece of black to fit the lines

Tell ya what though I know ya don't want to remove everything, but if you go down you are in for one rude awakening if you have to replace a single piece of plastic let alone headlights or anything else...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: what kind of tape for lights (moswift)

Pep Boys (if you have those in your area) sells vinyl tape in diff. colors. This also works good and comes of clean, even if it gets wet. You'll just need to remove wax / polish first. I know this as I've had to race my streetbike, 996, lately as my RC is broke
. And I though Honda's were much more reliable than Ducs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: what kind of tape for lights (WERA 31)

I am going to jack this thread a bit sorry.

I am doing my first track day on Saturday. For the tail lights...I have a Graffic Art undertail....do we need to cover the whole lense cover or just the back side. I also have those little (6 LED) turn signals....those need to be perfectly covered. Guess I will find out at the track huh??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: what kind of tape for lights (1literduceater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1literduceater »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am going to jack this thread a bit sorry.

I am doing my first track day on Saturday. For the tail lights...I have a Graffic Art undertail....do we need to cover the whole lense cover or just the back side. I also have those little (6 LED) turn signals....those need to be perfectly covered. Guess I will find out at the track huh??</TD></TR></TABLE>Oh man does that sound like my situation .On monday I took a track addix first timer class at Brainerd Internatinal and when I came out of the classroom the guys had my mirrors removed headlights un plugged and neatly covered with over lapping black duct-tape since I left my mint lowers at home the '03 looked BUTCH.I had a terrible first session and felt like a hazzard the rate at whitch I was being passed,second session the front-end got mushy so I went to see the tire guy who promply explained the missing part on the valve stem is not a dust cover,but a seal. I had lost seven P.S.I. the centrifical force on the needle will overcome the spring pressure at that track psssssssst down the front straight into one @ 150 or so getting my ass handed to me as the experienced guys were running turn one W.O.T. In the afternoon (cold pressures reset 31-30 perelli diablo strata) things got real good .I had the three mile track memorized and repeatable to the point where it was time to go home in one peice. However my right headlight has a 2" crack and next time Sep. 3 dctc I'll have all the used track bodywork I got yesterday on the bike and the mint peices mothballed as there were at least ten messed up bikes by lunch time..........(did not mean to steal your thread I'm still stoked )but wanted to let you know I went on a mission and procured beat track sharksins 120 usd then found beat 03 tank and lowers 60 usd andDescription : AF1 Racing A-18346 sliders
Amount : 87.94 (USD) It's like getting a hotel room or getting a dwi
P.S. B.I.R. kicks azz so did Dean and all the staff at trackaddix

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LDH,
Hey how you doin, I was wandering where you got your headlight cutouts? They look awsome. Did you get them from KYA racing? Also did you paint them yourself or you took it to get them painted? Thank you and take care...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (703RC51)

Those are not headlight covers, that is just vinyl applied directly over the headlight lens

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (tutzo51)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tutzo51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can use duct tape.... just clean it off with a rag and solvent. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Some folks like to make LESS work for themselves... just a thought.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't believe what anyone say about not using duck tape. I have done numerous track days and have always used duck tape with no problems at all. The trick is to clean the surface with a good plastic cleaner like the one Honda makes prior to applying the duck tape. You do this and you will have no problems removing it at all.
If you regularly clean your bodywork with a plastic cleaner like I mentioned above the painters tape will not stick well.

my 2 cents

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (andres)

Some brands of Duc tape stick so good that they will actually pull paint / clear coat up with it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (andres)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andres »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't believe what anyone say about not using duck tape. I have done numerous track days and have always used duck tape with no problems at all. The trick is to clean the surface with a good plastic cleaner like the one Honda makes prior to applying the duck tape. You do this and you will have no problems removing it at all.
If you regularly clean your bodywork with a plastic cleaner like I mentioned above the painters tape will not stick well.Excellent,idea honda cleaner/polish was on mine and the tape came right off also remove it A.S.A.P. donot let it sit in the sun and avoid solvents. I still got a cracked lens even though I had two layers. look for a beat up cowl the headlights are heavy
six cents

my 2 cents </TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why would you want to put duck tape on painted surfaces?
Anyway like I said use a good bodywork(plastic) cleaner prior to putting the duck tape and you would not have any problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: what kind of tape for lights (1literduceater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1literduceater »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am going to jack this thread a bit sorry.

I am doing my first track day on Saturday. For the tail lights...I have a Graffic Art undertail....do we need to cover the whole lense cover or just the back side. I also have those little (6 LED) turn signals....those need to be perfectly covered. Guess I will find out at the track huh??</TD></TR></TABLE>
I didnt' feel like disconnecting the lights in the back, wires are hard to reach/hold. So I used the blue painters tape and covered them up, then I used some black duct tape over the painters tape, then covered up the duct tape with the blue painters tape again. You couln't see the lights at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a little more work because of the width, but electrical tape works perfect. It comes off by hand with absolutely no residue and you can get a ton of colors!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (tcarroll22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tcarroll22 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a little more work because of the width, but electrical tape works perfect. It comes off by hand with absolutely no residue and you can get a ton of colors!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good idea!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by backlash »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I didnt' feel like disconnecting the lights in the back, wires are hard to reach/hold. So I used the blue painters tape and covered them up, then I used some black duct tape over the painters tape, then covered up the duct tape with the blue painters tape again. You couln't see the lights at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Glad to see someone tried it and liked it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: what kind of tape for lights (backlash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by backlash »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt' feel like disconnecting the lights in the back, wires are hard to reach/hold. So I used the blue painters tape and covered them up, then I used some black duct tape over the painters tape, then covered up the duct tape with the blue painters tape again. You couln't see the lights at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is a whole lot of work. I hope you don't leave the tape on too long becasue the heat will bake the adhesive right onto the lenses - then even solvent will have a tough time removing the residues.

Either unplug the headlights or remove the fuse - either are easy to do on an RC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts