Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about firm on a deal to aquire a '90 750 Sport and wanted to get some opinions on the bike in general and about this bike and year if anyone has experience with one.

Thanks!

Here is a pic or it...

Modified by CAMit at 1:56 PM 5/25/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i would have started with the 16 inch wheel thing, but it has 17 fitted. some parts are hard to get and they don't age terribly well is how i usually put it. as std, crap suspension, badly sorted carburation, stuff like that.

all fixable tho, so it depends what you want and how involved you want to get. we don't see them anymore in the workshop and that's not a problem.

i wouldn't mind owning one in the collection, but i'm aware of the problems. someone who has one and loves it will probably go me tho.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good eye

Thanks for the info and good eye on the wheels. They are 17 Brembo's, do you think it takes away from any value it might have over one with the original 16's.

Thanks again...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for me it would because i like shit being original even if that makes it shittier. then i can modifiy it and keep all the old bits for that day.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: What is your thought of the '90 750 Sport? (CAMit)

My first duc was a 90 750 Sport bought back in 96 or 97. The Weber carb is generally considered something to ditch pretty quick. BCM did a fine job of tuning up mine but I'd heard lots of good things about DellOrtos so a couple years ago I picked up a set on ebay. Much better throttle response, not as smooth as the Weber, especially below 4000rpm. Not as good gas mileage either but I like them. They give the pipes a lower and louder sound.
Second problem is the 16" tires/wheels but this has 17 inchers so no worries there.

I haven't put a lot of miles on the Sport. In 99 I bought a 97 900sp that gets most of my riding time but I have taken several long weekend trips in the 8k miles added under my watch. Very reliable, suspension is good for the street, BCM rehabbed the forks, the shock needs it. Not as compliant as a current bike but still very stable. I did one track day with it but didn't push it too hard. Bodywork is hard to find and very $$ when you do. Planning on another this summer.

It's 15 year old technology but not a bad choice for a 1st Duc. It would get you into the fold with a good feel for the marque at a reasonable price. And you don't see many of the Sports around. Draws lots of looks and comments even in the Duc crowd (more than my 900sp). The red and silver paint is simply a gorgeous thing along with the red frame and wheels (stock) I never tire of it. So much so that it's still under my watch! If yours has some maintenance history, looks to be solid and the price is right go for it. You'll make most of it back when you decide to sell. well, that's my impartial
good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts