Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a neighbor with a real Boxxer Cup Bike. I got to ride the thing around the neighborhood. Granted I was in squid gear (shorts, T-shirt and no helmet) . First experience with a teleLever front end, felt different. Rear end 'jack up a little.' The bike came with a ton of spares, couple of stands. Sounded pretty fruity for a Beemer.
I said "Karl. Lets get that thing to the track!!" He said, in his heavy German accent, "NO, IT IS GOING IN MY LIVING ROOM !" Oh well, at least I got to ride the real thing !!

Former Brian Parriott ride.

Modified by Taildragger at 4:54 PM 7/10/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: What is better than a Boxxer Cup Bike? (Taildragger)

Interesting post - I ride with a friend who just got a '05 Boxer cup replica. We switched bikes today for a long section of twisties (in full non-squid leathers), To be honest I feel like this is a bike that doesn't do anything well. Lot's of vibration from the opposed twin, leg position really felt off and other then the more upright position when compared to my bike it was generally uncomfortable. Weak power delivery and while it moves into the turns with low effort (the high bars help) the back end is too loose and the whole bike doesn't feel planted. In short I could not wait to get back on my bike - which for me is a whole lot more comfortable (not to mention a lot faster, and tons better in the curves).

When I say it doesn't do anything well - it is not a sportbike (my friend likes his K-bike with Ohlins better), not a comfortable tourer, and not a particularly good two up bike. Granted this was the replica and not an actual cup bike, but thought I would post my impressions. I suspect I would feel the same on the track with the "real" thing - still thinking my bike would be a lot faster round the circuit.

I ride a 999 by the way.

Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What is better than a Boxxer Cup Bike? (Racer666)

Nice post...and sweet ride, I can't wait to see the new Boxer Cup bikes...that 1200R is a nasty lookiing ride!! I saw a sanp shot in sport rider in full race trim and it looked sweeeeet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What is better than a Boxxer Cup Bike? (Taildragger)

Cool bike. They have a couple for sale at Daytona BMW. How much did your neighbor pay?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What is better than a Boxxer Cup Bike? (999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 999 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool bike. They have a couple for sale at Daytona BMW. How much did your neighbor pay?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have no idea,,he is not hurting for money, also bought a beautifully restored 50's beemer with a sidecar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (TheThrill)

I recognized the bike as Parriot's from 2 years ago. Your neighbor got a great bike. I met Brian at Daytona in 2004 and spoke with him for a bit. I think i actually drooled a little bit on the bike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (rugbymook)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rugbymook »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recognized the bike as Parriot's from 2 years ago. Your neighbor got a great bike. I met Brian at Daytona in 2004 and spoke with him for a bit. I think i actually drooled a little bit on the bike
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Isn't that the race where two guys collided in the race and still managed to keep on truckin'? That was a wicked race with about ten very evenly matched bikes that just sliced and diced the whole race....no one could get any advantage and get clear of the moving disaster just waiting to happen. Excellent race. Could actually feel the tense racing conditions with no let up whole race.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (roadkill)

That was the one!! They were banging cylinder heads together! Best race i ever watched!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: What is better than a Boxxer Cup Bike? (Racer666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racer666 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interesting post - I ride with a friend who just got a '05 Boxer cup replica. We switched bikes today for a long section of twisties (in full non-squid leathers), To be honest I feel like this is a bike that doesn't do anything well. Lot's of vibration from the opposed twin, leg position really felt off and other then the more upright position when compared to my bike it was generally uncomfortable. Weak power delivery and while it moves into the turns with low effort (the high bars help) the back end is too loose and the whole bike doesn't feel planted. In short I could not wait to get back on my bike - which for me is a whole lot more comfortable (not to mention a lot faster, and tons better in the curves).

When I say it doesn't do anything well - it is not a sportbike (my friend likes his K-bike with Ohlins better), not a comfortable tourer, and not a particularly good two up bike. Granted this was the replica and not an actual cup bike, but thought I would post my impressions. I suspect I would feel the same on the track with the "real" thing - still thinking my bike would be a lot faster round the circuit.

I ride a 999 by the way.

Aaron
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have a R1100S next to a 999 in the garage. Much different thoughts towards the S. Maybe the finest road going sporting thing I've ever been on... superb in all kinds of conditions, from canyons to 500 mile rides. Confident at speed, everywhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts