Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the RC51 is an awesome bike, as are the ducks and aprillias, aside from those, all proper racebikes are inline 4s.. but what ever happened to the V4s? the only one I'm aware of is the interceptor, and that's just masquerading as a race bike, trackday sure, sporty definitely, but not a pure race bike..

the honda V4s used to be the bikes for racing, where did they go wrong? is there a fundamental design flaw in them? too heavy for the power? clumsy to set up? awkward weight distribution? I dunno.. something inside me just wants to hear the roar of a V4 in a competitive package..

my custom '84 VF 500, the granddaddy of the Interceptor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (dj_wawa)

Suzuki and KTM/KR are running V4s in MotoGP. But your right, the V4 superbike has dropped off the face of the Earth. The first flaw I can think of, if you can call it that, is that it's more complicated/costly to make 2, 2 cyl heads, than 2 single cyl heads, or one 4 cyl head. And with inline 4 cyl there's no worrying about optimum V angle, or how to fit everything between those heads. There's also all the extra exhaust plumbing to consider with the V4. All easily overcome, but it seems the manufacturers have considered it easier to go either I4 or V2. With the oddball acception of FP and Triumph, that is.

On a side note, I'd consider the V45 Sabre the grandaddy to the current Interceptor. Your VF500 is more like a cousin. You know, one of the cool ones though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (Giannis)

Unless they end up the beneficiaries of rule changes that allow them to race lighter bikes than I4s, I'm pretty much convinced that Ducati will be introducing homologated 1000cc, 90 deg. V4s in the not too distant future. Honda will probably come back with a V4 or V5 as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (bsess)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bsess »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless they end up the beneficiaries of rule changes that allow them to race lighter bikes than I4s, I'm pretty much convinced that Ducati will be introducing homologated 1000cc, 90 deg. V4s in the not too distant future. Honda will probably come back with a V4 or V5 as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (jager)

As far as Ducati goes, it makes particularly good economic sense since they can use all the tooling from their previous generation MotoGP V4s and otherwise help to offset the huge expenses incurred with their GP race program.

I know they plan on introducing a limited edition, $50,000.00 street version of their GP bike but I think it might make more sense if they made 20-25K V4 street bike in greater numbers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (stk0308)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stk0308 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Suzuki and KTM/KR are running V4s in MotoGP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ducati is too. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (Mashuri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mashuri »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ducati is too. :)</TD></TR></TABLE>
Do'ah! I knew I was forgetting one.

I would consider the VF750F the daddy of the current Interceptor. But the V4 motor being used in the family line begins at the Sabre. Which is why first year Interceptors we called 'chocolate cam' specials by many of the British press. Higher lift cams running in the weak aluminum heads wallered out the bering surface, and caused failures.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (stk0308)

Well I think the VF400F was the first vee four Honda motorcycles, so maybe thats the grand daddy?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (kiwigav)

the first VF400R shown in Tokyo in 1982 and in production the same year. 1982 was also the first year of the VF750S Sabre, The 1983 VF750F called Interceptor in US (that name reminds me of MADMAX!) so with a year difference between VF400 and VF750F i wouldnt call it Grand dad. Japanese factories always presented in the past smaller version of the bikes that would show up on the rest of the world like the FZ400>FZ750, CBX400>CBX750 GSX400R>GSXR750

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (Giannis)

In 1982, before the Daytona 200, Honda debuted the FWS1000. It was a 996cc V-4 designed to win the Formula 1 championship, which it did with Mike Baldwin in the seat. This bike is the first Honda V-4.

Now who can find a photo of it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (dj_wawa)

Souperbike had some old-timey shots of the FWS posted a few weeks back. It was at Laguna. Way, way, back American Roadracing had a good writeup on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (Just Riding Along)

Honda needs to make the interceptor a 1000cc and lose the "Built by the A-Team" looks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (J.U.996SPS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J.U.996SPS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda needs to make the interceptor a 1000cc and lose the "Built by the A-Team" looks!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Better yet, stick a 1000cc V5 in there instead. I want my 150+ HP VFR!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (number_nine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by number_nine »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In 1982, before the Daytona 200, Honda debuted the FWS1000. It was a 996cc V-4 designed to win the Formula 1 championship, which it did with Mike Baldwin in the seat. This bike is the first Honda V-4.

Now who can find a photo of it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's a good article on the bike....
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/featurefws.htm

And kind of a pic....
http://www.ama-cycle.org/museum/1998/classsep.asp

don't seem to find any actual pics on the internet....maybe some else will have better luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: what happened to the V4? (AZ Scott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

20 points to whoever can name the rider of this bike!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Flying Fred Merkel?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts