Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am attending a racing school at VIR tomorrow, the forecast is 95 degrees.

I felt really depleted and spent at my last track day 3 weeks ago when the temps were 85. I am really concerned that I might not be able to finish the whole day.

What do you guys use for hydration and energy?
Do you use/recommend Monster energy or red bull like products?

Any techniques to balance the energy consumption during the day?

Thank you

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
hell no you don't wanna get all hopped up on that crap. just water and gatorade man. eat a decent breakfast. Carbo load the night before. rest in between sessions. and just make certain to drink enough that you piss every time you get off the bike. if you aren't peeing a lot you aren't drinking enough.

·
Registered
651 Posts
A race school I went to gave us salt tablets throughout the day, I'd stay away from sugary stuff like gatorade/powerade because sugar "sucks" (dehydrates you).

a lot of water for sure, be careful right after lunch because your reaction times will be slower..

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Keith Code supplies salt/sodium and potassium tablets, along with plenty of water.

I take a bunch of bananas and salt tablets and Ibuprofen, along with a cooler of iced water. Eat a banana after every session, pop a salt tablet, drink plenty of water. Avoid the sugary/energy stuff. Ibuprofen as necessary (but I try to limit them to avoid taking the sharpness off)

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Endurance athletes use GU gels for easy to digest, straight to the bloodstream glycogen. One 15 minutes before strenuous activity, and one every 45 minutes after the start of strenuous activity - of course, this is for sustained physical exertion - like running or cycling. I would absolutely not eat them if I was riding for 20 minutes and then sitting for 40.

I eat five of them in the course of a marathon. I don't even bother with them in a ten mile race or a half marathon. I can't imagine using them at a track day.

Interestingly, one of the best recovery foods after strenuous activity is chocolate milk. Google it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Its a little expensive but I'm a fan of the Target brand Pedialyte after a hot day of riding or at the track. However, I usually drink a bottle of water followed with the Pedialyte.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Cytomax pink lemonaide flavor, keeps ya hydrated and keeps ya from cramping up. Then afterwards, a case of Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewrey!

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your replies.

I should have posted this thread 3 days ago and NOT the night before my racing school. I hydrated the crap out of my body, was going to bathroom every 45 mins and even then after 3/4th of the day I puked for the first time in 20 years. I had a headache halfway through the day and by the 2nd session after lunch I felt like I was going to puke while following an instructor. I decided to pit which turned out to be the best decision because I didnt even get to put the bike on the stand before I started puking.
Thankfully there were people around who held my bike while continued to puke all my lunch out.

A life long lesson learned, hydrate days before track day NOT the day off.

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Aw dude, I am sorry to hear about your day at the track.

Absolutely true - there is no hydrating "the day before", or the day of, for that matter.

I have found from marathoning and racing hare scrambles that it takes about four or five days of eating light, but balanced meals and drinking only a little more water than normal. Also, reduce caffeine and alcohol intake in that week. Drink a medium sized glass of water before bed. Don't drink a ridiculous amount of water the day before, don't drink a huge amount on the morning of. Don't over-exert yourself during that week. Be rested.

The day before a marathon, I'll eat slightly more carbs than usual - pasta, bread, but still keep it balanced and don't overeat. The morning of a marathon, I have one slice of dry toast and a small cup of black coffee. Then sips of water before the start.

During a marathon I take a dixie cup of water to drink every 20 minutes and another one to pour on my head. Any more than that, and I'll just end up urinating every hour.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Sorry to hear of your ordeal . Don't be too disappointed , live and learn . I get dehydrated on demo rides let alone track days ! :wackySince turning 40 , it seems that being on dark asphalt for hours and hours doesn't agree with me .

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Grand Finale

Thank you all for your replies.

I should have posted this thread 3 days ago and NOT the night before my racing school. I hydrated the crap out of my body, was going to bathroom every 45 mins and even then after 3/4th of the day I puked for the first time in 20 years. I had a headache halfway through the day and by the 2nd session after lunch I felt like I was going to puke while following an instructor. I decided to pit which turned out to be the best decision because I didnt even get to put the bike on the stand before I started puking.
Thankfully there were people around who held my bike while continued to puke all my lunch out.

A life long lesson learned, hydrate days before track day NOT the day off.
You are out of shape for what you were doing. All the classic symptoms coupled with the heat kicked your butt.

Need to get some distance running/cycling in the heat in. I used to run at noon everyday in the heat. It would take all spring to get used to it but it realy helps on the long days.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Kam, You know I love you right?!

I'm gonna get flamed for this but these threads kill me about getting dehydrated on a motorcycle. Every time I hear some guy say at a track day talk about staying hydrated at the riders meeting I just chuckle to myself.

Dude, I cycled 75 miles in 90 degree heat a couple of weeks ago (4hrs on the bike) and only touched three 12oz bottles of liquid. .....and I'm out of shape. I started the ride at 222lbs and when I was done I weighed 215lbs. I've seen guys go through nearly a gallon of gatorade by noon at track days. Are you kidding me?!

I'm not trying to be some self righteous jerk but you guys have no concept of what true dehydration is.

Rant over. :wacky:woot:

BTW, I drink Accelerade. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts