Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
What are the options out there for cams for these bikes?

Are there cams out there that make power than the stock ones on stock compression pistons?
Anything above the stage 1 Moriwaki cam will require HRC springs, HRC or replica spring-seats and Kibblewhite Ti retainers which all need to be purchased separately unless you find a set of stage 2 mori cams and mori spring/seat/retainer kit like I got here last year in the classifieds. :rockon

Stunna

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any power to be found in going with lighter valve train parts when used with the stock cam? Retainers, springs, etc

I bought a custom cam for my saleen and it was quite expensive as well so I understand the cost of these units.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Nope, but you can improve the heat dissipation from your valves if you replace the OEM valve-guides with the Kibblewhite AMCO45 ones that Damon Stewart had made and has up for sale right now.

Its unlikely that the HRC springs are any lighter than the OEM ones since they are more heavy duty to compensate for the increased duration/lift of a st2 cam profile and you cannot mix HRC springs with OEM cams.

The ti retainers are only being reproduced for HRC springs so that wouldn't do you any good with OEM cams/springs/seats.

Stunna

Is there any power to be found in going with lighter valve train parts when used with the stock cam? Retainers, springs, etc

I bought a custom cam for my saleen and it was quite expensive as well so I understand the cost of these units.

·
WSMC #51, CVRA #51
696 Posts
Nope, but you can improve the heat dissipation from your valves if you replace the OEM valve-guides with the Kibblewhite AMCO45 ones that Damon Stewart had made and has up for sale right now.

Its unlikely that the HRC springs are any lighter than the OEM ones since they are more heavy duty to compensate for the increased duration/lift of a st2 cam profile and you cannot mix HRC springs with OEM cams.

The ti retainers are only being reproduced for HRC springs so that wouldn't do you any good with OEM cams/springs/seats.

Stunna

Just a note, the HRC springs actually have less seat pressure then OEM springs. They are intended to be used with lighter valve train components like the Aluminum retainers (now Ti) and Ti valves. This also reduces the parasitic loss. The HRC springs are just fine with Steel valves up to 11k and above however. The OEM valve sprigs will go in to bind with any added lift. Lift is what the RC51 really likes to wake it up, especially on the intake.

And yes, I have direct copies of the OEM valve guides made out of AMPCO45 Bronze (the best material on earth for this job). They work great with Steel but they are necessary with Ti valves. Less friction, much more heat conductive, and they will not gall. The heat conductivity is very important with the Ti valves.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Damon,

Did you have any issues with valve to piston clearance when installing your cams and pistons, as in needed to mill material from the valve pockets for clearance? Or were they a painless install?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts