Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local honda dealership about 2 weeks ago and was talking to a parts guys about my RC. He owns one as well, I asked him about the gauge cluster melting and he tells me that there is a fix for it. He takes me over to the service department and explains the situation. The service guy gets my bikes info and creates a work order. The parts guy orders the warranty parts needed. I pick up the parts about a week later and think everything is cool. I get a call today telling me that I owe the dealership $66 for the parts. I ask them what the deal is and they say that honda knows it's a problem but because the warranty expired they won't take care of it. 1st of the parts guy knew the model year of the bike so why didn't he consider that if it was a warranty issue. 2nd If honda knows it's a problem and came out with a fix why should I be punished because the 1st owner was to busy to have it fixed. I would ask the 1st owner but he was deceased when I bought the bike. He was killed in the line of duty ( motorcycle cop in nothern va). I guess I've come to expect more of honda. I called the customer service line to see what they are willing to do. I faxed my proof of ownership and work order to them so it's up to them to decide what's fair. I own a Nissan 350z and have had all my tires replaced for free due to feathering. Nissan even extended my tire warranty another 20,000 miles because they know that is a problem that they created. Here's how I look at it, honda used plastic to save weight and money. They realized there was a problem and created a cheap fix. I would expect them to man up to it and repair the cluster no matter when the melting occured. Next time honda should use better material!!! BTW My co-workers 1000rr had the same problem and they replaced the cluster. He had 2000 more miles on his 2004 1000rr than I had on my 00 RC when they replaced it. Sorry for the rant but it really pisses me off when a company passes the buck to a customer instead of manning up to a problem they created!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What a freakin joke, Honda's warranty department has been smoking crack... (HanZcap)

hanzcap,
sorry to here about that, but let me tell you from my friends(Gozz) experience that honda is hands down the phuckin' WORST motorcycle maker to deal with in any warranty/problem issue. Check out the thread titled 'valve clatter' to read about a true nightmare...05 RC 400 miles 2 blown motors...& honda refuses to replace the engine as a whole...now my friend has to get an attorney and sue the bastards, becuase this multi-billion dollar corp. won't just do whats right...the dealer he bought it from flat out told him honda absolutely screws people if anything goes wrong...if anyone from honda reads this you can rest assured we will spread negative press to anyone and everyone who will listen

Eric
01RC51

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What a freakin joke, Honda's warranty department has ... (emakadoshus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emakadoshus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hanzcap,
sorry to here about that, but let me tell you from my friends(Gozz) experience that honda is hands down the phuckin' WORST motorcycle maker to deal with in any warranty/problem issue. 01RC51</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to disagree through experience. Try and make a claim with Suzuki if you love bouncing your head off a wall
. EVERYTHING is caused by something you did to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What a freakin joke, Honda's warranty department has ... (emakadoshus)

I have an 04 RC51 the nose bolt kept comming lose so I put some locktite on it and put it back just snug not tight... the front cowl cracked, Honda refuses to cover it they say the only way that happens is if you over tork it
...B.S... If it was done properly in the first place I wouldn't have had to touch it at all, New front cowl with my friends discount at our local shop.... $316 I haven't done it yet

but heres another big F.U. to the Honda Warranty department

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: What a freakin joke, Honda's warranty department has been smoking crack... (HanZcap)

HanZcap said:
....why should I be punished because the 1st owner was to busy to have it fixed.

Hmmm, the bike is not only out of warranty but you're the second owner? I've found Honda to very accommodating when dealing with the original owner.

"I own a Nissan 350z and have had all my tires replaced for free due to feathering. Nissan even extended my tire warranty another 20,000 miles because they know that is a problem that they created."

Not to be rude but what does this have to do with Honda warranteeing your dash panel?

Its a pisser but I suppose even multi-billion dollar companies have to draw the line somewhere. Get a carbon gauge cover and you'll not have the problem again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: What a freakin joke, Honda's warranty department has been smoking crack... (BC51)

BC 51,

1st your opinions are your opinions but you need to put the pipe down. "Opinions are like azzholes, everyones got one and they all stink". Who cares if I was the 5th owner. The point is honda should stand behind their product. I'm sure if I was the 12th owner and it was under warranty I wouldn't have posted my story. Second my story about my 350Z relates to a company standing behind their product therefore it is relavant to Honda not wanting to stand behind their product even when they know it is a problem. Why is it that every 05 rc comes with the metal cover that I was given to fix the problem of my cluster melting??? 3rd You need to learn how to read because I said the dealership has already given me the metal gauge cover. WTF would I do with a carbon cover if I have the metal one on the bike already???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: What a freakin joke, Honda's warranty department has been smoking crack... (BC51)

For whatever reason, I am pretty sure Honda (and probably other companies) have a time limit on warranty/recall work. You should blame the original owner for not paying attention to the information sent to him by Honda instead of blaming Honda.

I can say from experience (two accounts personally and one through a friend) that Honda is NOT difficult to deal with if you pay attention.

I suggest to start parking under trees.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: What a freakin joke, Honda's warranty department has been smoking crack... (entropy)

Thanks but if honda sent out a letter it would fall under a recall. If it was a recall then honda would cover it. It's not been my experience for honda to send out a letter regarding warranty work. This was a situation that if it happened under the warranty period you were covered if it happened a week out of the warranty period you are screwed. Not to mention that you only got the cover if you cluster was melting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Never had an issue here. #1 in my book.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see why you are pissed but it is a 5 year old bike and it is only 66 bucks . but yes you have a right to be upset they should have told you up front about the cost that would come with the job.
pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (patman)

Ahhh ding,ding, ding you my friend are a winner...

I'd have no problem paying them for the parts if the parts guy had told me that it wasn't covered by a recall. I was led to believe that this was an issue that honda was taking care of. I get my parts/accesories from the same dealer at a discount so I would have more than likely ordered a carbon fiber cover.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (HanZcap)

HanZcap said:
I'd have no problem paying them for the parts if the parts guy had told me that it wasn't covered by a recall. I was led to believe that this was an issue that honda was taking care of.

So what we have is an issue with your dealer. Glad we got that cleared up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (BC51)

Go back to your dealership and ask them to call American Honda. Tell them you have heard from many of your RC51 buddies "that it will be covered one time only, after that you are on your own for a new upper cover". I have recieved my 1 new upper cover from my local dealership for mine. I suppose I got it last summer or the year before. Mine was out of warranty at that time as well.
If you open your "search" up for the archives and look for "dash melt" and similiar wordings, you will find threads on this. I was not the only guy to recieve one free cover while out of warranty (I am the original owner however, and the guys at my dealership are allright).
Hoov.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Hoovenater)

HOOV,

I called american honda and the rep told me she would take care of it.

BC 51

Once again you fail to see what I am trying to point out. The problem is not only with the dealership but Honda as well. Yes the dealership should pony up since they told me it would be covered under warranty originally. Honda should pony up and take care of the dealership since it is a known problem. If it wasn't a problem then why do all 05 RC's come with the metal cover already installed on the motorcycle?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (aces anugal)

I'm sure Honda is really worried when the worst thing someone can say about them is they won't replace a 5 year old melted piece of plastic

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (jlo11)

That's the problem with consumers today. Most are willing to accept a melted dash but I won't. Especially when the 05 models come stock with the gauge cover installed. Again why should I suffer since Honda didn't think ahead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Breaking News:
Rider dies when melted dash suffers catastrophic failure.... stay tuned for more details

It's just a piece of plastic trim (whose value isn't even eqaul to 1% of a new bike). Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well I have also had pretty good luck with honda warranty so I cant bash them either. Bad on the dealership for sticking it to you, But good on honda for finally seeing the error of their ways and fixing the 05 models. It just takes a few tries to get it right. Hope that is the worst problem you expierience with the honda.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts