Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 RC with about 26,000 miles on it. For some reason, since the past month or so, I have noticed that the shifting feel is different; when I upshift to third or, sometimes, to sixth, I feel the shift lever tapping back at my toes when I engage the gear. The bike will go in gear fine, but I feel this kickback at the lever, which I had never felt before.

Any idea what could be the culprit?

Thanks,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the detent in the tranny is wearing out causing that almost slipping out of gear feeling?

might want to get that looked at?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (tutzo51)

I am not very familiar with how the shifting mechanism works in these transmissions. Can you explain a bit further? What are you referring to when talking aoub the "detent" that is wearing out?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from the shift shaft to the shift drum.
your shift shaft turns a drum in the tranny which in turn changes your gear.

the shift shaft has a detent which runs in a groove on the shift drum....

straight from the manual....

HARD TO SHIFT
incorrect oil weight
bent shift forks
bent shift fork shaft
" " fork claw
damaged shift drum cam grooves
bent gearshift spindle

JUMPS OUT OF GEAR

worn gear dogs
worn gear shifter groove
bent shift fork shaft
broken shift frk stopper arm
worn or bent shift forks
broken drum stopper arm spring
broken gearshift spindle return spring.

even though your bike seems to not have an issue going and staying in gear....it could be a sign that something is happenening inside your tranny.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (tutzo51)

Ive seen shift kits for pretty cheap on ebay. They replace the shift star.

8 is the shaft that your shift lever attaches to. when you shift up and down it rotates that star (4) around thats mounted to the drum (3) which is what moves those shift forks around in the tranny via those grooves on the drum and those pins on the forks. (6) is spring loaded against the star to give you the click feeling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Weird Shifting Feel (HRC-E.B.)

I felt that happen once and only once where it didn't go into gear and the shift lever was like thumping against my boot. I figured it must have been a crappy executed shift.

Lately I've noticed while slowing down to a stop sometimes it isn't going into first unless I let the clutch out while in neutral and then pull it in again it will go into first.

I think the whole engine and tranny has to come out to perform the necessary service and inspection to shifting parts.

Good on you for using the RC like that, 26,000 miles!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think it was a compliment as well... 26,000miles.. i believe he was complimenting that you ride your bike instead of to the local coffee shop kind of thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Rigor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rigor »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man....why's everybody so tender around here lately?
</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tutzo51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think it was a compliment as well... 26,000miles.. i believe he was complimenting that you ride your bike instead of to the local coffee shop kind of thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry; my bad. Given that people tend to be (somewhat) sarcastic around here, I had taken it the usual way...

Post edited.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (HRC-E.B.)

I didn't get a chance to see what he wrote but yes it was a compliment

I'm getting up there too in miles hopefully I'll reach 26000 rubber side down

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Weird Shifting Feel (Darth Humungus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Darth Humungus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I felt that happen once and only once where it didn't go into gear and the shift lever was like thumping against my boot. I figured it must have been a crappy executed shift.

Lately I've noticed while slowing down to a stop sometimes it isn't going into first unless I let the clutch out while in neutral and then pull it in again it will go into first.

I think the whole engine and tranny has to come out to perform the necessary service and inspection to shifting parts.

Good on you for using the RC like that, 26,000 miles!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

My bike does the same thing and I had a V max that did the same thing but with no adverse effects it usually happens when I do all my down shifting at the last minute instead of down shifting and letting the clutch out between each shift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem is experienced mostly upon shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It feels as if some part in the tranny is hitting a rotating part as I press on the shifter to do the upshift, and this hitting sensation is felt as a bit of a shift lever kickback at my toe when performing the upshift. Kinda lilke as if the gears weren't moving far enough and the edges were hitting before meshing properly. That probably doesn't make sense, but that gives you an idea of what it feels like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'd say its about time to get the tranny looked at. i would think that in the near future, there will be a serious problem. i'd wait until winter ( if it isnt allready up there) and give the local honda dealer some work... or take it apart yourself..... something is off.

i've hit a false neutral while going from 2nd to 3rd before coming out of a turn on the street. i pulled in the clutch and it went right in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts