Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started to use WD 40 as a cleaner for my chain prior to lubrication, seems as though the chain as hemorraged. Does anyone know if WD 40 is safe to use on O ring chains. Can you recommend and alternative.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: WD40 as a chain cleaner (Redduc)

I have never had a problem using WD-40 as a chain cleaner (I use it all the time) Let the chain set for a while, and see if everthing goes back to normal. Did you use anthing on it before you used the WD?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: WD40 as a chain cleaner (Tornado-rider)

Motorex chain clean 611

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ive used it on my 748 for over a year, works amazing, no apparrent side effects. My old mech. used to use it on bikes as well. Seems totally safe.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: WD40 as a chain cleaner (duc_748)

I dont like WD40 as a chain cleaner... it cleans fine but it promotes fling like hell. I just use maxima chain wax as a cleaner and as the lube.... works GREAT and minimal fling.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: WD40 as a chain cleaner (Shibbydevil)

After a nice ride to get the chain nice & warm, a good squirt of WD40 and wipe off any excess will keep you chain in perfect condition for a very, very long time....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shibbydevil hit it on the head. maxima wax is the shiznit. WD-40 is great as a cleaner but not as a lube. it's very thin and what does not fly off will evaporate leaving a clean but dry chain. use real chain lube.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Redduc,
WD40 is a wonderfull product, but I think it`s a little too strong for the chain cleaning. It will get very deep in the chain and disolve the lube inside the chain rollers. I have used it for years on my dirt bikes to keep all metal parts protected, but I definitely avoid seals, bearings, bushings, etc. It will get to the lubes and greases and dilute them, and thats no-good. Like Hank said, it will clean too good.
I use chain lube, or spray type grease. That way I only relube, never remove. On my bikes, I always lube the chain before washing the bike, that way water is kept out of it as much as possible.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: WD40 as a chain cleaner (johnnymotocros)

FWIW, I use WD40 and then lube with Motorex. Just lubing or waxing a dirty chain will just make the crud already on the chain stick to it even more. should clean it like new first and THEN lube. YMMV (literally).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

All motorcycle chains currently being manufactured use Buna-N (Nitrile) rubber for their o-rings and x-rings, and all these manufacturers recommend kerosene as a cleaner.

Alternatively, you can use WD-40 that is composed of 80% Stoddard Solvent (that is similar to kerosene), 20% light lubricating oil, and a bit of fragrance.

So, the answer depends on whether external chain lubrication is beneficial for a chain with internal grease sealed with o-rings, and perhaps how often you clean your chain.

One school-of-thought believes that no additional lubrication is needed. The other believes that the sprocket and chain surfaces that do not have permanent grease also need to be lubricated.

The chain manufacturers tell us that also lubricating the chain and sprocket surfaces will extend the life of these components. But a chain lube will sling-off unless designed to stick to the chain, so it needs to stay tacky. Consequently, it will also attract grit and road debris that, in turn, will accelerate wear faster than if you just have a clean unlubricated chain. Chain lube will also reduce power losses due to friction and shed water that leads to rust (and wear). If you live in a wet climate, you should probable use chain lube.

A chain newly cleaned with WD-40 will have a coat of light oil that will effectively displace water and reduce surface corrosion of the links. It's a low viscosity oil so any excess will sling off easily, but will attract very little grit - much less that any chain lube - and it will have the same rolling friction as a number of chain lubes on the market.

If you clean with a soft brush and WD-40, and then follow-up with a chain lube, you can reduce chain lube sling-off if you first remove the oil residue that WD-40 leaves. This residue seems to prevent some chain lube formulations from sticking well to the chain.

Brake cleaner has been used to remove the WD-40 but its effect on the o-ring seals may vary between brands, so I guess we're back to following the chain manufacturer's recommendation to use inexpensive kerosene as the cleaner.

Of course, all lubes need to cleaned off periodically to remove accumulated grit. Cleaning a really dirty chain after multiple applications of lube is a messy task often put off too long.

Maintaining a clean chain is relatively easy, which is why a lot of owners just clean with WD-40 every few hundred miles, have a sparkling clean chain, and get good chain mileage.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: WD40 as a chain cleaner (edwyun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by edwyun »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FWIW, I use WD40 and then lube with Motorex. Just lubing or waxing a dirty chain will just make the crud already on the chain stick to it even more. should clean it like new first and THEN lube. YMMV (literally).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I use a stand on the rear... spray the chain wax on like a 6 to 8 inch long area and scrub it till it is spotless... then rotate the wheel and clean the next 6 to 8 inches until it is spotless... on and on till its done. Maxima cleans chains awesome too!

Ryan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gentlemen, thank you for your responses to my question. As johnnymotocross mentioned I noticed that when I began appling WD40 as a cleaner and then using a chain lube, that the WD40 appeared to penetrate the o-ring seal and allow more of the original chan lube to seep by the o ring seals. In the past I would just lubricate the chain with a non fling o ring safe spray without cleaning. BUT the chain is very close to the end of its life, and it just maybe giving up the gost. Thanks for all your feedback. Great site, Great people!!
P. S. I'm a Boston resident, please make this weather go away!! It sucks, Jan. in mid March and no sign of a let up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (Redduc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
P. S. I'm a Boston resident, please make this weather go away!! It sucks, Jan. in mid March and no sign of a let up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

go down to faneuil hall marketplace and get a breadbowl of chowda that should fix you up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: WD40 as a chain cleaner (Shazaam!)

So who uses just kerosene for cleaning and no lube? Anyone? How are the results? I'm thinking of trying this route for the upcoming season. I find WD-40's sticky residue attracts quite a bit of grime.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (oneducs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneducs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go down to faneuil hall marketplace and get a breadbowl of chowda that should fix you up.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy moley! You even spelled Faneuil Hall correctly. Now if you recommended a place to get that breadbowl of chowda I would be impressed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (Nick D.)

i have been dogging around boston for a good thirty or more years but things have changed in the past few years i've been away.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: (oneducs)

Two words, Black Rose. Maybe the best chowda I've ever had. We used to go down there every other weekend when I was at school in Maine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: (blueSS)

Common, everyone knows that ye olde Union Oyster House a half a block from Faneuil Hall has the best chowda, period! Of course the best place to wash it down with a nice Black & Tan is the Black Rose (genuine Irish bartenders too). Damn, now I'm hungry and thirsty too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: (Ducaholic)

Don't fauget a slice from Regina's in the Naut End!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: (socal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't fauget a slice from Regina's in the Naut End!</TD></TR></TABLE>

my first memory of regina's was about 1968. this involved a large peperoni pizza, a sprite and two cokes. my dad, sister and i. my sister had the sprite and the waitress who looked like she was not a day short of eighty, dressed in a all black dress, the very same dress she had wore when her husben died. as she is bringing over our drinks i see her take a sip out of my sisters sprite.
to this very day i still have not told my sister what that waitress did to her drink.

sorry about the high jack.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts