Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was great. Moto Guzzi /Aprilia/Piaggio/etc. were there, despite rumors to the contrary. Learned a lot about the dynamics between Italian manufacturers. Not pleasant...

Had it on good authority that when shown maps with Italy/France/Germany overlaying the vastness of North America, Piaggio executives believed there was no way the maps were to the same scale...they have no idea how big and important this market is. They just don't get it.

The MGS-01 was there, one of seven, and there will be no road going version, which I had heard but was confirmed by the Guzzi rep. The Italian government will never let Guzzi die, but Piaggio will likely do their best anyway. I don't get that, either.

Ducati had good traffic; there was a nice looking MS1000 there w/ bags and Termis, the new S2R, a lovely Fila 999, a cool 999R cutaway bike, and a wicked looking 749 Dark w/ a CF tank and other bits, magnesium wheels, etc. I really like the 749 Dark; this one was way trick...

I like the original 749/999 fairing better, having now seen both in person...

MV Agusta was there with a couple of F4-1000 variations. I hate to admit it, but when I saw these bikes up close, the build quality, attention to detail, overall design, etc. were just overwhelming. I think the F4 is the best looking bike I have ever seen. What a work of art...

Overall show traffic was very high; lots of folks turned out, and it was crowded when we got there 15 minutes after opening. It's good to see the industry well represented and the show well attended.

I will be starting a new job co-managing the service department of a large East Coast Harley/Buell dealer in a few weeks; I can't wait to get started. The per capita income in the area is around $100K, with 55,000 bike registrations in a 30-mile radius around this particular dealership, and it's not even in the most populated area! They sell $31K CVO Road Glides the same day they come in! They average 45-60 new bikes per month, and the owner really wants to grow the high-performance and Buell business.

Hell, it's a way in, and one step closer to owning my own Italian/European bike dealership. He's gonna pay me very well and give me a bike to ride...my choice (V-Rod? Super-Glide Sport? XB-9/12R?). Plus I'll be helping to develop some in-house management and leadership training, succession planning, human and systems performance improvement stuff, as well as getting some profits out of the machine shop and rekindling the racing programs.

Motorcycles are cool!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Washington DC Bike Show... (DesmoBob)

Congrats on the new job, sounds like a great opportunity
Which dealership will you be at?

Tifosi

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

DesmoBob,
Which HD dealer are you joining. I have been to the Dumfries dealer a couple of times, riding my Duc of course. It gets attention, always positive. It's great dealership, nice folks, very helpful. If so, I'll stop in and say hello.

Davin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Washington DC Bike Show... (Elmer)

Basically, I can't say yet...but I've ridden my Duc to this dealership many times, and gotten the same response, from both employeeas and customers.

I think it will be fun...I've actually never even ridden a Harley, so this will be a great opportunity in a lot of ways. I've never had anything against Harleys, and the more I see them up close, the more I realize that, "performance" aside, H-D does a really good job designing, styling and building their bikes.

The most interesting part is that the typical Harley customer, at least in this area, may drive an S-class Mercedes or own an airplane fer chrissakes...not the stereotypical hell's angels type. Should be interesting.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hey desmobob, i was at that show as well, saw the MGS-01 as well and talked with the guzzi rep for a bit. He mentioned some of the funny business about the Guzzi situation as well... Very pleased to see that the ducati booth was a showcase for the aftermarket more than anything, not a single bike there appeared stock-- so at least you didn't feel like you're just walking around a dealership.

on a side note, i can't believe how small the buells are. they were the only (large) bikes my 5'2" girlfriend felt like she fit on.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I also went, and very much enjoyed myself. I too loved the MGS/01

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Washington DC Bike Show... (monarc)

I actually rode a Buell XB12R, on a "test ride" (nice to know the GM well!), and I was really impressed. The vibes are only a factor when you come down throught the revs decelerating; at about 2500-3000 it VIBRATES! But it's not bad, and the ride is great; way stable, torque out the ass, good brakes, and quite comfy.

I may end up w/ a Buell for a demo; if so, I'll go w/ the XB9R and the race kit; more revs, lighter flywheel, shorter stroke, etc. Either way, the front wheel comes up with a twist of the throttle!

Then again, maybe a superglide sport, or maybe a sportster w/ serious weight redux and some cams/exhaust/ECU and flat bars...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts