Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over on the DML, there is a heated debate on the PCIII voiding Ducati's warranty. I quote on a dealer, <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your wrong too.

Mag-Moss states "Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty"

And Ducati's warranty states...
"this warranty shall not apply to or include any of the following:
(5) use of replacement parts or accessories not conforming to Ducati Specifications which adversely affect performance and/or durability, (6) alterations or modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Ducati..."

Therefore, what you want to see isn't germane to the conversation. Installing a PCIII clearly voids your warranty. Even under Mag-Moss.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Background links below.
http://www.ducatimonster.org/s....html
http://www.ducatimonster.org/s....html

Any thoughts?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Warranty vs. Mods (foggy123)

why would you expect your warranty to be valid if you enhanced
your bikes performance though mods? Cars/trucks wont let you
do taht either.

Although, Ive heard talk that as long as you can prove the modification
didnt cause the warranty failure it should be covered. IE you add a
PCIII and the brake system fails.

Also, from my local dealer - anything termi you add to your bike is covered
by warranty. Whee.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Warranty vs. Mods (ducati_atx)

No it's up to them to prove that the mod made it fail if they want to void the warranty.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Warranty vs. Mods (hbliam)

Interestingly enough when my MH was at 100 PSI and not 160 PSI they (Ducati) blamed it on EVERYTHING except themselves.

I actioned it by saying that I would pay if there was a problem that I had caused (knowing full well that I had not) but alas the valves and seats were cut wrong from the factory and were wide enough to park a bus on.

When it comes to warrantee stuff it is my strong opinion that you are guilty until proven innocent which stinks with "Passion" etc that they feed us.

Turns out my bike should never have left the factory but it took me hours of shitty stress and BIG $$$ to prove that the bike as faulty...not me.

They openly sell K&N air box kits, open exhausts and chipped up ECU's and call it all Ducati Performance but if it is someone elses product it is a POS, I seeing a patten forming here.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Warranty vs. Mods (Monstaman)

In the USA we have Federal laws that put the burden of proof on the manufacturer denying the claim.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Warranty vs. Mods (hbliam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hbliam »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the USA we have Federal laws that put the burden of proof on the manufacturer denying the claim.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My case was buying an exclusive and limited eddition bike from a reputable and liked dealer in the US becuase I could not buy one in New Zealand, DNA were simply a joke to deal with and although they told me to piss off politely I look back on it and know I was fed the "Passion" bullshit from them, the worst thing is me being gulable I wanted to believe in them but the reality is they were protecting No1's bum prior to seeing me right.

I can see that shining through in the case on DML, I see that ANY possible way that they can POSSIBLY get out of it they will, now I am changing the rules to suit me and turning my Lemon into Lemonade

Mine is a little more difficult given that they are a limited run bike or at least that is what they tell me

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Most of the time the subject of your warranty getting voided is up to the dealer. They are the ones doing all of the communication with Ducati. And of course if the PCIII did lets say run lean and burn a hole in the piston, I'm sure it would go something like this:

"Sorry Mr. Customer, the PCIII lean'd out so bad it burnt a hole in the vertical cylinder, the repairst will cost you $XXXX" This does not mean that the bikes warranty would be voided, just this particular repair would not be covered.

But the flip side is:

"Well Mr. Customer, we are aware of the fact that you have a PCIII but we feel that has absolutely no bearing on the fact that the gally plug backed out of your crankshaft and your motor ate itself."

Most warranty situations with modded bikes comes down to what the dealer wants to do, how good the dealer is and most importantly How much the dealer likes you. Lets face it, dealers are human, and if you (and by this I mean anyone, not you in particular) have been a royal PITA since the dealer started dealing with you, your chances of getting a "favor" or "the nod with a wink, wink" in regards to warranty work is going to be more unlikely.

Of course there are a few of you already going for the "quote" button so you can tell me how "things shouldn't be like that", or "it's wrong", or thats "not fair" or, or, or, or. But if you think about it for a second you will see that everything in life is like the above, I think the phrase goes something like:

"You get more bees with honey............................."

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Warranty vs. Mods (section8superbike)

I will take up the quote button challenge, I can do this, I know I can

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

"You get more bees with honey............................."

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is a great quote and I believe it to be 100% correct, my approach was the same, many hours of nice emails, unfortunately the bees came to the honey, ate it did big crap and left....no more honey, you saw what happened with the rest.

I think the dude on DML is being stiffed and stiffed fairly hard, I think I pretty well have the picture of what has happened.

That would mean that most of the bikes on this board are open to the danger zone warrantee wise??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will take up the quote button challenge, I can do this, I know I can

That is a great quote and I believe it to be 100% correct, my approach was the same, many hours of nice emails, unfortunately the bees came to the honey, ate it did big crap and left....no more honey, you saw what happened with the rest.

I think the dude on DML is being stiffed and stiffed fairly hard, I think I pretty well have the picture of what has happened.

That would mean that most of the bikes on this board are open to the danger zone warrantee wise?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats too bad, because we cherish customers that understand that everything is not perfect and have the patience to let the dealer do what needs to be done.

Of course if the dealer won't do it, honey is of no use.

We have a 1000SS customer which has had every imagineable problem. We killed and are still killing ourselves to make everything substandard up to or above standard. He has been a joy to deal with through the thick and thin and at this point we are happy to see him, and go over whatever needs to be fixed on his bike. He knows we are busting our ass and we know that he apreciates it, thats a good thing

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Warranty vs. Mods (section8superbike)

That is magic Jason and great to hear, it is a shame you have to do that rather than doing money making things tho eh, at the end of the day a dud turns up here and there, DNA should draw a line in the sand and say yeap enough is enough, here is a new one.

Each on there on merrits of coarse, that is the ideal world!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts