1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
who's yo daddy?
757 Posts
fuel tank still looks pretty good...

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
On the contrary, they crash in an entertaining and spectacular manner. In that respect they crash extremely well.

Riding one afterwards however, might be another story.

I do wonder what will happen in relatively minor street crashes that ding the airbox/frame. I would think that would almost immediately total a machine. How long until there are replacement cast frames made in China with a new "home built" VIN for $799 on Ebay?

Take your totalled Panigale, buy the new frame and rebuild it as a home built custom.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't fathom the thought of tearing up a $20K bike at the track and not being able to get a check in the mail for replacement.

I believe this crash started as a lowside, something gripped and the bike started to flip. Say "Bye Bye".

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
This has been discussed before, but if the frame is a the airbox, and Ducati Performance or someone else offers a magnesium or carbon fiber replacement, what does that do to the original frame and VIN? Would you have to turn over your old frame to Ducati and they then issue the new upgrade part with the same VIN?

Seems like a gray area.

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
You replace the airbox support or the swinger. I am sure they engineered these things to break first without cracking the engine casing...

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
You replace the airbox support or the swinger. I am sure they engineered these things to break first without cracking the engine casing...
You would hope but I certainly have my doubts about that. It seems impossible to anticipate all scenarios where impact could load the chassis and design the mounting points so that they couldn't break the cases, yet provide enough rigidity as a frame to be effective.

Obviously these are from a different era, but trying to find desmoquattro cases can be tough because any crash that tweaks the swingarm frequently cracks the cases at the back mounting points.

From Ducati's perspective, why not have it ruin the caes too? The bike wouold be totalled anyway, customer just buys another new bike. For the race team everything would be replaced anyway.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
It'll buff right out.

BTW, I don't even recognize Kyalami since they screwed-up the track with all those "hosting" areas. Virtully no place to actually spectate any more, unless you're a "VIP" at one the the private viewing areas.

And the format of the track SUCKS.

Give us that long, LONG straight that they had back in the 80's!

·
3,888 Posts
Well,

To me me it would be logical to build it like a race car with a carbon tub. On a carbon tub, it is assumed that the car will be involved in multiple crashes over the chassis' lifetime. The corners are designed to break the hardware holding the suspension, gearbox/engine on and if it is a really big hit, the pickup point will break. If this happens, it can be unbolted and another pickup can be bolted in place. It is impossible to design out any possibility of tub/chassis damage but if Ducati wants this bike raced (which I believe they do), it would be very shortsighted to design something that is disposable after every big hit...

You would hope but I certainly have my doubts about that. It seems impossible to anticipate all scenarios where impact could load the chassis and design the mounting points so that they couldn't break the cases, yet provide enough rigidity as a frame to be effective.

Obviously these are from a different era, but trying to find desmoquattro cases can be tough because any crash that tweaks the swingarm frequently cracks the cases at the back mounting points.

From Ducati's perspective, why not have it ruin the caes too? The bike would be totalled anyway, customer just buys another new bike. For the race team everything would be replaced anyway.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Carbon chassis are largely designed to absorb energy so that it isn't transferred to the driver. They are commonly called "crash structures" for that reason. Great for a race team with funds that are sky high. Not so much for a street bike or the hobby racer/track rider.

·
3,888 Posts
I raced karts, then cars for years. I was also a mechanic for a professional Formula Atlantic team while I was a teenager and while going through college. We were one of the factory Reynard FA teams. I agree that in an extreme case all modern chassis are designed to absorb energy so as not to transfer to the driver. There is not a racing chassis out however, there that is designed to be disposable. Sorry if you don't agree but that is reality and they are designed to be able to take multiple hits over the course of the racing season. Very few teams have the funds to be able to throw chassis' in the bin after every substantial hit... I have rebuilt many crashed racecars with carbon and aluminum tubs...

Carbon chassis are largely designed to absorb energy so that it isn't transferred to the driver. They are commonly called "crash structures" for that reason. Great for a race team with funds that are sky high. Not so much for a street bike or the hobby racer/track rider.

·
ole dirt bastard
998 Posts
Well,

To me me it would be logical to build it like a race car with a carbon tub. On a carbon tub, it is assumed that the car will be involved in multiple crashes over the chassis' lifetime. The corners are designed to break the hardware holding the suspension, gearbox/engine on and if it is a really big hit, the pickup point will break. If this happens, it can be unbolted and another pickup can be bolted in place. It is impossible to design out any possibility of tub/chassis damage but if Ducati wants this bike raced (which I believe they do), it would be very shortsighted to design something that is disposable after every big hit...
hard to tell from pics,but it does appear that the airbox-frame survived.

·
3,888 Posts

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.