Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of a track bike recently. Where are good places to look online for a decent track bike? I have looked at the WERA site and found some nice stuff. Also, would it be better to buy a salvage bike and start from scratch or get one done already. Thanks for any advice.

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
If you are going to have a ducati as a track bike get one already done since building a salvaged unit can be very costly. But you do gain the added benefit of tayloring it to your style. Now if your considering an sv650/1000 go salvage. Even an RC51 but you can get one of those fairly esily.

·
Sharks in your mouth.
1,262 Posts
ducman491 said:
I have been thinking of a track bike recently. Where are good places to look online for a decent track bike? I have looked at the WERA site and found some nice stuff. Also, would it be better to buy a salvage bike and start from scratch or get one done already. Thanks for any advice.
Buy a turn key bike, it's alway cheaper that way. There's a 748 trackbike for sale here and a couple more on the ClubDesmo forum.

Buying an already prepped bike saves you money, gets you some spares (usually) and allows you to budget for the potential of mechanicals.

You should also check the RRW classifieds along with the superbikeplanet.com classefieds.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
9 times out of 10 it's a lot less expensive to buy someone elses money pit (a bike they have already prepped)

Just ask the people who have gotten bikes from me:woot:

·
Registered
12 Posts
My "money pit is the one listed above" and i'm sure Jason could give you a heads up on it, since he did all the maintenance on it last. Cold up there yet Jason?

Nick Z.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you're really serious about running a Ducati at the track, I disagree with the "buy someone else's junk" line.

You're better off knowing exactly what was done, to both the motor and suspension/set-up and the only way to do that is by starting with a clean palette. I wouldn't even start with a slavage bike, because you'll need to get everything checked by "The Frameman" or some other GMD-type outfit. You're going to be running at the take-off speed of your favorite jetliner approx every 2 minutes.. trust no one but yourself.

Purchasing a 'project' is less than safe at track speeds. Try finding a low miles 996... they can be had fairly cheap if you're patient and will provide a very solid plaform for you to build off of.

·
Sharks in your mouth.
1,262 Posts
900CR said:
If you're really serious about running a Ducati at the track, I disagree with the "buy someone else's junk" line.

You're better off knowing exactly what was done, to both the motor and suspension/set-up and the only way to do that is by starting with a clean palette. I wouldn't even start with a slavage bike, because you'll need to get everything checked by "The Frameman" or some other GMD-type outfit. You're going to be running at the take-off speed of your favorite jetliner approx every 2 minutes.. trust no one but yourself.

Purchasing a 'project' is less than safe at track speeds. Try finding a low miles 996... they can be had fairly cheap if you're patient and will provide a very solid plaform for you to build off of.

There's credence to what Rob is saying but either way you're going to have to invest some time and some money into going through which ever bike you're going to run at the track to not only make sure it's safe but also trustworthy.
If you buy a 99 996 for say 7k, you'll need to have a leakdown, compression test done and you'll want to replace the belts, change out the fluids, install water wetter and get track bodywork. You won't really know the full history of the motor with either but you can presume that a street bike hasn't been ridden nearly as hard as a seasoned track bike; conversly, a seasoned track bike with a motor refresh from a known and trustworthy outfit (Nichols, Section8, DucSeattle, etc) is as good a gurantee as any.
With a track bike, you can probably get a 748 for 5500 ready to go but you'll want to spend a few hundred doing the above checks and maintenance before assuming that it's fit for duty.
Net net you'll probably, eventually, be a couple thousand off between one or the other, the primary difference being the initial outlay of captial.
I suppose if you can afford it, build your own but realize that every dollar you put in, is a 25cent return (if not less).

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
Buy a track-prepped SV 650...

If you MUST have a Duc, I also vote for a pre-prepped bike.

Two years ago I converted my pristine 1999 748 that had around 7,000 miles on it. I learned a lot, but I spent a LOT of time and way too much $$$. Now I've got boxes of street-parts that I need to put on Ebay...

The conversion process is very time consuming and the learning curve is expensive.

·
Registered
278 Posts
hank said:
Buy a track-prepped SV 650...

If you MUST have a Duc, I also vote for a pre-prepped bike.

Two years ago I converted my pristine 1999 748 that had around 7,000 miles on it. I learned a lot, but I spent a LOT of time and way too much $$$. Now I've got boxes of street-parts that I need to put on Ebay...

The conversion process is very time consuming and the learning curve is expensive.
If you're willing to run a Ducati at the track, money should be your absolutely last concern. The way 'pre-prepped', 'race' or 'track' bikes are treated, you're much better off with a gently ridden used bike. By the time you're done looking for a clean track bike, you'll have passed on least 5 safe, clean 996's... anbd you'll still never know hwat's been done to it. An SV is not a Ducati, and will never feel like one. There is only one brand of bike that feels like you're riding a two-wheeled mono-rail. :cool:

BTW, you'll need that 'learning curve'... as with everything ridden at the track, things break, fall of or just go missing. You will want to be intimate with every nut and bolt on the bike, knowing you were the guy that torqued or safety-wired it last, and that it didn't come from the local Ace Hardware.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the reason I have been thinking about a track bike is because I don't have money to burn. I feel like it is only a matter of time, when pushing it a bit on the track, before I crash. I have ridden my 748 on the track and it is an experience but I love the bike too much to total it. I have spent a little while on this board and I know there is a wealth of knowledge here about more than just Ducs that is why I posted here. I was thinking of a somewhat "disposable" late 90's Jap bike. I figure I can crash and total 2.5-3 jap track bikes for what it would cost to get a good 996 track bike. I may race later on but I am 31 years old and 235 Lbs. The next Rossi, I ain't. I'd like to do it just for grins. We'll have to see, I have to get clearance from the boss.(read: wife) Thanks for the advice I will look into it and keep you posted.

·
Registered
278 Posts
ducman491 said:
...I feel like it is only a matter of time, when pushing it a bit on the track, before I crash....

I figure I can crash and total 2.5-3 jap track bikes for what it would cost to get a good 996 track bike.
Here's a word of advice.. don't start trackriding until you get yourself wired properly.

Having an "I'm gonna crash..." attitude is for street riders and asswipes. There is no reason you should crash on the track anymore than you would on tha street... maybve even less so if you consider the fact that there are no F-150's in your lane. Playing the 'crash' tape in your head does one thing and one thing only: Ensures you will indeed crash. And no bike, Ducati or not, will prevent that from happening.

BTW, you won't be the only person on the track... wadding wastes everyone's time, especially when it could,have been prevented with a more postive approach.:cool:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is good advice, I don't really have an "I'm gonna crash" attitude. I know from the other post it seems like it, but it is more like "I can't reach my full potential on the track if I am thinking DON'T WRECK THE DUC." I am more worried about someone else taking me out and having a wrecked bike because someone else messed up. Besides, if everyone was sure they wouldn't crash you wouldn't need leathers and a helmet. You prepare for what may happen. Think of the track bike as safety equipment for the Duc. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for the advice this is why I come here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
900CR said:
Here's a word of advice.. don't start trackriding until you get yourself wired properly.

Having an "I'm gonna crash..." attitude is for street riders and asswipes. There is no reason you should crash on the track anymore than you would on tha street... maybve even less so if you consider the fact that there are no F-150's in your lane. Playing the 'crash' tape in your head does one thing and one thing only: Ensures you will indeed crash. And no bike, Ducati or not, will prevent that from happening.

BTW, you won't be the only person on the track... wadding wastes everyone's time, especially when it could,have been prevented with a more postive approach.:cool:
Agreed:D Hopefully you won't be riding on the track with me with that mindset.

As an example, I took my 749R fresh from its break-in to the track within 2-months of purchase and had a blast! Its all about the mindset, the more positive the better.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not sure why everyone is saying trackbikes are so expensive, now if we are talking racebikes then I can see it as upgrades galore are in the offing to be competitive.
But if you just want a bike to do trackdays only on, buy a good example of a street bike and start taking off all the extras, sell them off, and go ebay some trackskins for it, and ride it like you stole it.
My 996 was getting far more expensive when I wanted it to do both street and trackday duty as I needed second wheels/rotors for track tires. Needed to maintain 2 seats as the corbin sucks for trackriding (I cant move around well with it)
Now that I have taken the 996 to be my trackday bike only (bought a BMW K1200S for my street ride) I can sell off all the street stuff/extras and prob afford sharkskinz, a slipper clutch and maybe Ohlins valves/springs for the front end.
of course I had already dumped a bunch into the 996 as a street bike with SPS cams (degreed), 54mm full termi exhaust and a custom tuned chip from AMS

·
Registered
831 Posts
On buy vs. build, I dunno - it depends entirely on who's bike you buy. I bought my Duc racebike from a guy who raced it professionally in Pro-Thunder with lots of support from nationally-known tuners - he'd become intimately familiar with every nut and bolt, was a craftsman, and could tell me what care and feeding the bike needed. I could see all this, from checking out the bike and talking to him - and that's why I bought his bike. And if you bought either of my race bikes from me, I guarantee that everything would be done right, there would be no major known issues, I'd tell you everything you'd need to know about care and feeding, and they'd be carefully prepped since my ass is worth a helluva lot more than any plastic trophy I might win. But you'll pay more for my bikes.

On the flip-side, there are junk bikes that people create without having any real understanding of what they're doing, duct-tape and cable-tie monstrosities that may or may not fall apart while you're riding them at a track day. If you can't tell the difference, buy a new bike and prep it yourself. :twocents

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you can get a track bike from someone witha good rep then I would do that, you will save the most money that way. Or you can get a Duc with a salvage title, fairly cheap, and shop on E-bay to all you mods and track preps.

I started with a stock 748 in 99. and now it's a mean 996 racebike. I got almost all the parts off E-bay but I'm scared to count up all the money I put in to it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Damn. I wish I had the money... that not just a track bike, It's a sexy track bike to boot

1 - 20 of 20 Posts