Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of building a supermoto for awhile now and need a project over the winter.

I just want something that is like the sv650 of supermotos (great performance and plenty of cheap parts). I was thinking maybe a crf450 anyone got any advice?

It seems Kawasaki's have plenty of parts as well.

·
-_-
2,284 Posts
Maybe this helps.

Go on ebay and choose a part that you´re after, maybe something like... "engine" or "brake lever". Then you search model specific, like "engine crf 450" and "engine rmz 450". See what delivers the most hits.

I guess you can´t go wrong with any of the japanese manufacturers.
Honda and Yamaha would be my bet when it comes to high sales figures.

There´s a guy here that has a CRF 450 and was reportedly very happy with it.
I haven´t heard a bad thing about YZ450Fs as well.

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
The "other" Ben brings up an excellent point. You can turn just about anything into a SUMO, BUT it depends on parts availability. Sure, a lot of the average bikes have a ton of parts, that's why everyone builds CRFs or other large cyngles.

I have an old XR600R (1986) which runs like a champ, makes a great trail bike and is dead-ass reliable, which I've been debating changing into a SUMO... but not sure I want to dump all that $$ into it.

Anyway, I would check out things like rims, tires, brakes, performance and suspension options for any bike before pulling the trigger. But there are also plenty of good bikes that are SUMOs out of the box... the DRZ400 regulars can be grabbed cheap and throw some better forks and wheels/tires on.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You for the info guys.

I don't want anything to special as I'm going to use it for commuting (only four to 15 miles) in the city.

I like the DRZ idea. I've had my eyes on one of them for awhile now.

Although I kinda want to build one from the ground up though. Maybe from some salvaged parts (hence the cheap parts). I see lots of crf stuff around here. I think the frame and motor will be the kickers.

Is it difficult to get a dirt bike's title legal? Maybe it would be easier to get a more street oriented sumo. Probably less work, but I like building stuff.

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
Yes, it's real hard to license/title dirt bikes in states like NY, CA and assume MI has to be the same. The great thing about the the XR I have is that it's titled (was from the factory) so adding it to the street is a breeze!

If you are looking for something on the cheap, I'd search around for old beaters like that. They are hard to blow up and get great gas mileage.

I've had a DRZ400sm (bought new) and it was a great bike, but I really think SMs need to be 600s or above if you are on the street. Just my opinion though. The 400 would barely get out of its own way, even after jetting it and a can... but it was a GREAT little blaster bike for what it was and handled sooooo well.

If I were in your shoes (here is the unsolicited advice part :)) I would check want ads for older beater that run well (like the XR600s and XR650s) and throw some sticky smaller tires and rims on it, so some maintenance and you should be ready to rock.

Like a lot of bikes, the sky is the limit with bikes/toys but I think that should accomplish what you're looking for... even less aggressive tires on the stock rims might get you up and running.

Hope it works out for ya, dual sports/SUMOs are a blast and super convenient.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Like this? :D

This looks perfect.

I basically want something to be light and handle great. I don't really need to be fast as I'm not going to go on a highway with this. Just city streets an possibly some dirt roads.

I saw a guy on a hypermotard the other day and man did that thing look fun. But the price of it doesn't appeal to me.

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
Yeah, exactly like that. It's just got some sort of sportbike rims, CBR maybe...

The only other thing to be leery of is the kickstart on these monster cyngles. I'd really look for something electric start or converted to it... that can make all the difference, esp when cold or has sat for a while :)

If you don't need much power, a 400 might work fine too! the XR400s were bulletproof bikes, light and easy to handle, etc. But they are kickstart...

It sounds like you are leaning toward a 400 with USD forks and sticker street tires, for great handling and maneuverability.

I can't imagine a 1200 twin in a small bike like that. The 600 with a little work can be plenty! :)

Like this? :D

This looks perfect.

I basically want something to be light and handle great. I don't really need to be fast as I'm not going to go on a highway with this. Just city streets an possibly some dirt roads.

I saw a guy on a hypermotard the other day and man did that thing look fun. But the price of it doesn't appeal to me.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about a cr500? I've found two for real cheap. Or are they to much for a tard?

·
Registered
149 Posts
check my post in the supermoto adds here i have a street ready cr500 with all the dirt trim to go with it for dirt cheap!

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a pretty good deal. I just don't have that much cash yet.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Always the salesman. :D

Nice bike btw. New York would be a bit of a hike though.

I was thinking more along the lines of a newer cr 250 or 500 though. Can't decide really. Seems the 250 would be a little easier to manage as it has an aluminum frame which should make it nice and light. But the hooligan in me likes the 500. I've found really really good deals on both bikes.

Anyone own either? The 500 has kind of a cult following because of it's motor.

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
Always the salesman. :D

Nice bike btw. New York would be a bit of a hike though.

I was thinking more along the lines of a newer cr 250 or 500 though. Can't decide really. Seems the 250 would be a little easier to manage as it has an aluminum frame which should make it nice and light. But the hooligan in me likes the 500. I've found really really good deals on both bikes.

Anyone own either? The 500 has kind of a cult following because of it's motor.
LOL. I was thinking we could meet in Buffalo or something if you are interested... can also work with on price! See, there I go again, selling, LOL. :)

Not knocking the 500 at all great bike, but 2 stroke may be an issue on the road in emissions states.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't that NX250 a two stroke?

Yeah, one of my friends just asked me the same question and the answer is, I have no idea.

I don't think Michigan is that strict though. Time to ask the google gods what they think.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nope, it's four stroke! :)

WELL HELLO MISTER FANCY PANTS!!

I'm going to have to think about that NX250. It would be the easiest choice really.

Anyway Check this:

Answers.com - Hi I live in the state of Michigan and I would like to know can you turn a non street legal dirt bike into a street legal motorcycle and if what are the requirements

Looks like it's not going to be much of a problem, but you know it's not a big deal here?

Because the weather is so shitty you can't ride most of the time anyway :D .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts