Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any use scotch brite on your mids?

I'm trying to find a good way to clean up my titanium mids and cans on my Satos. Don't wanna go the steel wool route as it will lead to rust.

Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was going to use 0000 steel wool and metal polish on my system :confused:
tried a small area on the cans and looks really good but now ya got me worried about the rust thing. I thought titanium corrosion-resistant?

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I was going to use 0000 steel wool and metal polish on my system :confused:
tried a small area on the cans and looks really good but now ya got me worried about the rust thing. I thought titanium corrosion-resistant?
The problem is that the steel wool will leave behind small bits of steel that are ground into the surface of the other metal. Those little bits are what will rust and look like crap. A clean scothbrite pad will do the trick, at least that's what I have always used on stainless mid pipes and have never had a problem. They look silver after the treatment, but will fade back to a light gold tone after a bit. Not sure I would do that on a set of cans, or anything ti that doesnt already have a "brushed" finish like some mid pipes do.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
i used the green scotchbrite on mine not long ago, i didnt go too crazy trying to make them look new, but enough to clean them up a bit.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what is on the cans and mids that you want to take off?
Nothing really. There just old oil, and residue from touching them. Maybe some burnt boot rubber here and there.

I just figured why not clean them up and make them look new again if possible. As my bike is just sitting there looking all stored and bored and sh1t :D

Good Info Guys!

I'll try the scotch brite pads. No chemicals at all, just pads right?

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I would test it out to make sure that you like the results first. Somewhere like the inside of the lower part of the pipe. I THINK the green pads aren't as abrasive as the red ones. You might try the mr. clean eraser as it won't be abrasive if you are doing the cans too.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Cerama Bryte ceramic stovetop cleaner . Strong yet won't damage surfaces . Removed solid , burned-on rubber and tar in seconds . Make sure pipes are cool of course .

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cerama Bryte ceramic stovetop cleaner . Strong yet won't damage surfaces . Removed solid , burned-on rubber and tar in seconds . Make sure pipes are cool of course .
I like that.

Think it works like Nevrdull? I just found out about that stuff.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I've never had to buy Neverdull but have heard it's good . The CB even cleaned caked , cooked rubber off my cruiser's chrome pipes w/o scratching .

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
what ever you used? DON'T USE STEEL WOOL.

It sucks ..even the fine steel wool sucks. Don't freakin asked me how I know this!!!:D

I'll just tell you to try it on your Sato's and report back later.LOL

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gonna try out that Cerama Bryte that nomo was mentioning. I think that and maybe some mild scotch brite work and I should be good to go.

Thank You Bros!

·
Registered
416 Posts
MOthers metal polish???

ANybody try it on your pipes? The thingy that fits on the drill and white polishing liquid. It won't harm them I wouldn't think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.