Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Joey said that his SPW in the TT was the best bike he ever had.

Recently I watched the 2000 TT and some other road races from 2000-2001. Many riders were running SPs in different configurations. Some had built theirs from a road-going SP1, some had the HRC club racer and then finally full factory SPW for Joey. One of the back markers even had the stock undertray/tail section with license plate holder on his bike:eek:

·
Registered
825 Posts
that's awesome he got a full factory SP.
It wasn't a full factory bike. In 2000 Honda were not giving factory support to anyone outside of WSBK and their own Suzuka 8 hr effort. Joey's SP1 started out as basically just a bike with some kit parts and apparently he was very disappointed in it. His brother spoke to Honda Britain who spoke to Honda Japan, probably reminding them that Joey had been a Honda rider for over 20 years and was undisputed king of the event that the company had based their racing credentials on. Japan responded by sending a WSBK spec motor, swing arm, exhaust and all the peripherals to the IOM together with the techs to dial it all in. And dial it in they did. After that kind of one-off support Joey pretty much had to say it was the best bike he'd ever ridden, for his part though he rode it like the champion he surely was.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Works SP perhaps would be the better term. He certainly rode it well. Watching it, I can only imagine how nice that bike would be to ride.. I'll take everything but the engine please. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.