Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested to find out if anyone has done a conversion of a vtr to a dual sport? I've always wanted to get a vee twin dual sport but we can't get them in Canada. They make the Transalp and Varadero in Europe but are not available here. Transalps were in north america in the 87-89 seasons then Honda pulled them. Not enough sales i guess!
Prefer the big Honda engine with lots of torque! Easier, cheaper to repair and maintain compared to the Dakar-Ducati. Looks like a front fork change, much longer, handle bar risers or triple clamp change and wheels a bit bigger might do the trick! Anyone know of the steering head bearings on the vtr are std size. May be possile to install XR650R front end which has terric suspension. Any ideas. I have a 03 XR650R with Baja kit and hop up right now butam looking for a bike for the longer trips. Thanks John [email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: VTR Conversion anyone???? (thumpers4ever)

Why bother when a Suzuki DL1000 is that much closer to what you want, right of the shelf. And it's more powerful.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: VTR Conversion anyone???? (stk0308)

Or a KTM Adventure 950

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I thought you meant one of these:

I was thinking to myself: Torque? Is he crazy?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Have looked at seroiusly and riden the Vstrom, its ok and is pretty smooth but has no torque down low. Its probably better for long vibration free rides. I like the turn on instant vibration between my legs! One of my first bikes was a Matchless 500 single then a Velocette 500, I've ridden a lot over the years and get the most fun out of the thumpers or v twins. My age has slowed me down a bit so i don't want a rocket just the torque! Been there! done that! Roads where i live are pretty rough also with uneven pavement and lots of winding, twisting corners. Dual sports are much faster through these conditions, with more suspension travel and clearance. . John

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Just another observation! Suzuki is not the same quality of the Honda and the KTM is really expensive!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: VTR Conversion anyone???? (banda)

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but.....

Banda, what's the story on that 82-83ish Suzuki GS750ES in the background?
That thing looks really clean, I always wanted one of those growing up (I don't really know why). Is that a recent picture? Is it for sale?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: VTR Conversion anyone???? (804)

I stole that picture from a google image search. Sorry, I have no info about those bikes.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought you meant one of these:

I was thinking to myself: Torque? Is he crazy?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Barbie-ceptor!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thumpers4ever »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have looked at seroiusly and riden the Vstrom, its ok and is pretty smooth but has no torque down low. Its probably better for long vibration free rides. I like the turn on instant vibration between my legs! One of my first bikes was a Matchless 500 single then a Velocette 500, I've ridden a lot over the years and get the most fun out of the thumpers or v twins. My age has slowed me down a bit so i don't want a rocket just the torque! Been there! done that! Roads where i live are pretty rough also with uneven pavement and lots of winding, twisting corners. Dual sports are much faster through these conditions, with more suspension travel and clearance. . John</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sounds like you were riding a DL650, because the DL1000 motor isn't exactly called weak by anyone I know, or have read. But here's your solution. The Vstrom is basicly a modified TL1000 type motor, get those cams to start. If your willing to waste money converting a VTR into a dualsport than this kind of simple solution should be no challenge to you. Unless your one of those Honda-blind people. In which case, stop farting around with homebrew, halfass solutions and just import a Varadero. Than you can really be disapointed in a twins torque, but happy it's atleast a Honda.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stk0308 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Unless your one of those Honda-blind people. In which case, stop farting around with homebrew, halfass solutions and just import a Varadero. Than you can really be disapointed in a twins torque, but happy it's atleast a Honda.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

A few years ago, I saw a Varadero at STAR in Hot Springs Arkansas, with a Revere parked next to it.

Apparently, if you want it bad enough, you can get it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
A few years ago, I saw a Varadero at STAR in Hot Springs Arkansas, with a Revere parked next to it.

Apparently, if you want it bad enough, you can get it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Are you talking about the Deauville? A touring Hawk GT? I saw that one there. Another Euro-only model. There was an Africa Twin there also.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Varadero! Hard to import into Canada. its a paperwork nightmare! testing to allow the model in is really expensive so the only way is to get one brought in with a newly landed immigrant somehow. It would have to come in with possessions.. Beside the Varadero is pretty heavy also compared to the Suzuki. Don't get me wrong the Suzuki has lots of power and is smooth but not very torquey down low rpm. Looking for something like a throb of a Harley but not a Harley!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ducati/cagiva grand canyon appears to be the type of bike i'm looking for, but with Honda drivetrain etc! easier to work on and much less expensive for parts and service.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (thumpers4ever)

Moto Guzzi Quota.

Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, ease of shaft drive, lots of torque and plenty of charater-creating vibes.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (Cafe_Racer)

Hi Cafe-racer! Looks interesting, the Guzzi! The last one i rode was in 1976, California Police special. Had a number of problems at that time, electrical and fuel lines. Just test drove it so did not get the opportunity to use it for a week or so. Where do you get them in Canada? I'm sure the cost would be high here! Looks like the new Cagiva Grand Canyon has the high torque and high output suzuki motor which makes it a screamer i imagine! Now to get one for a test flight!!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts